I like the "Synth Period"

clintonb

It seems like the "synth period" of Rush (say Signals through Hold Your Fire) is much maligned, but it is my second favorite period of Rush (behind 2112 through Moving Pictures).

People complain that Alex is pushed into the background. That's true but I think these albums contain some of my favorite Alex guitar parts.

I'm a sucker for those wirey, chorusy, "Police"-like, "new wave"-like arpeggio parts.

His solos become more atmospheric, atonal, twisted, emotional. On Signals they even sound kind of "trippy" on songs like Digital Man, The Weapon, and Losing It (which has that cool violin solo).

Kid Gloves has one of my favorite guitar intros and solos.

Emotion Detector has some cool parts during the verse and a great solo.

Between The Wheels (especially recent live versions) just sounds emotionally twisted. These are just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head.

I think my favorite drum parts are on these albums too. Lots of creative and interesting stuff.

My main complaint about the "synth" era is the keyboard sounds they used. I like the analog keyboard sounds used on Signals, but I'm not a fan of the sounds on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

Playing aside, I think the songwriting is pretty good. Especially compared to albums like Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, and Snake & Arrows.

Edited by clintonb

Yep, I love that period too. But I have to say they started losing me at HYF. Way too oversaturated with synths. But that being said 'Time Stand Still' is one of my all time favorite Rush songs! I still get the chills when I listen to it!

Presto was pretty cool, and they reigned the keys back some, but RTB was where they totally lost me for about five or six years. wacko.gif

I Don't

I enjoy the Synth period just as much as the era of epics. I especially love Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Beautiful melodies. I am a huge fan of Alex's arpeggios tying Geddy and Neils romping around together. Geeze, in there between Geddy constantly being on the keys, he plays that damn bass so well. Just romping around those chord changes like a boss lol 653.gif

It's a very sentimental period for me. Where Rush is concerned, I only care about good songs with melody, emotion, harmony, etc...which can be done with or without synthesizers.

I love the synthesizer era too! Alex's guitar parts are pretty experimental and I like that. Trying to play some of his stuff on guitar is quite fun and difficult. Really has a different sound to it too. Love it.

QUOTE (clintonb @ Jul 26 2012, 10:38 AM)
It seems like the "synth period" of Rush (say Signals through Hold Your Fire) is much maligned, but it is my second favorite period of Rush (behind 2112 through Moving Pictures).

People complain that Alex is pushed into the background. That's true but I think these albums contain some of my favorite Alex guitar parts.

I'm a sucker for those wirey, chorusy, "Police"-like, "new wave"-like arpeggio parts.

His solos become more atmospheric, atonal, twisted, emotional. On Signals they even sound kind of "trippy" on songs like Digital Man, The Weapon, and Losing It (which has that cool violin solo).

Kid Gloves has one of my favorite guitar intros and solos.
Emotion Detector has some cool parts during the verse and a great solo.
Between The Wheels (especially recent live versions) just sounds emotionally twisted. These are just a few examples I can think of off the top of my head.

I think my favorite drum parts are on these albums too. Lots of creative and interesting stuff.

My main complaint about the "synth" era is the keyboard sounds they used. I like the analog keyboard sounds used on Signals, but I'm not a fan of the sounds on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

Playing aside, I think the songwriting is pretty good. Especially compared to albums like Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, and Snake & Arrows.

It's sooo sooo good

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 26 2012, 01:45 PM)
They made wonderful melodies in that period.

yes.gif

Somehow I don;t care too much for the end result, especially on HYF.

Some of Alex's best lead are in the Synth Period, much better chord structure and compositions for him to lead over. Specially:

Kid Gloves, Middletown Dreams, Turn the Page! All excellent Solos by Al!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 26 2012, 09:34 PM)
I love the synth period. There's only a handful of songs that I don't like.

Here's how I'd rank them:
Signals - 10/10
Grace Under Pressure - 10/10
Power Windows - 9/10
Hold Your Fire - 8/10

goodpost.gif

Signals through HYF. Great albums, detractors be damned!

trink39.gif

The synth period of rush killed the guitar, rush became a 4 piece, the synth was the 4th member, it pushed alex guiter to the back ground,they lost a lot of fans, they could have become the big band of that time, guitars were king at that time.Geddy had to much control, felt sorry for alex, he had to watch the eddie van halens of the world take over.

QUOTE (DDOZZY @ Jul 27 2012, 12:47 AM)
The synth period of rush killed the guitar, rush became a 4 piece, the synth was the 4th member, it pushed alex guiter to the back ground,they lost a lot of fans, they could have become the big band of that time, guitars were king at that time.Geddy had to much control, felt sorry for alex, he had to watch the eddie van halens of the world take over.

Quite a trenchant evaluation of the "synth period".

schla03.gif

QUOTE (AddictedRushian @ Jul 26 2012, 01:07 PM)
I love the synthesizer era too! Alex's guitar parts are pretty experimental and I like that. Trying to play some of his stuff on guitar is quite fun and difficult. Really has a different sound to it too. Love it.

yes.gif

Alex really experimented during this time. He even went all David Gilmour a few times (Scars, Available Light, Ghost Of A Chance among others). He really was in love with the whammy bar, too laugh.gif

I love the Synth Era! wub.gif

I love the synth era too - Rush's most underrated work for sure. Though I seem to be in the minority in saying that I'd take PoW and HYF over Signals and GUP any day. The song writing and use of synths is far more effective on the later 2 of the synth albums imo.

I enjoy the synth period but maybe it is because that was the era I grew up in. My first experience with a new Rush album was Signals. Whenever I hear those songs I go back in time.

The synth period is probably my 2nd favorite after the "classic" period (PeW, MP and actually I include Signals in there too.). The songs are well-produced and recorded, and have a cohesive feeling of craftsmanship and attention to detail. It's something that's kind of missing during the '90s period, which I view as their worst decade; so many of those '90s songs could have been so much *more*.

LOVE the synth era. From Perm Waves all the way up to Roll The Bones, with the strongest in the mid to late 80's

After Roll The Bones, the synth died

Some examples that I love:

Grand Designs

Prime Mover

Second Nature

Chemistry

The Body Electric

Between The Wheels

Countdown

Mission

Marathon

Jacobs Ladder

I play keys in a Rush tribute band so I do love this era, and we focus on this synth era