What Went Wrong?

HigherWater

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 6 2012, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 6 2012, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 6 2012, 03:44 PM)

I KNOW that CA is not a good Rush album.

I can hear it in the production and in the material. I love Rush. They are by far my favorite band but they are far from infallible. They know when they make a good record and when they make a bad one

Please don't take this like a slap, because it's not:

So you're saying that the band was being disenguious about their motives. You know, getting their chops at their playing peak? that's why they released two of the stronger songs. toured to get into great playing shape, then record. that part is just BS coming from the RUSH camp?

By saying that you know CA is a bad album you represent a VERY, VERY small minority.

Anyway, thanks for all that you do for TRF

2.gif

When I can get past the production values to evaluate the material my reactions on an emotional level is not excitement or joy. It's hard to find the narrative in the lyrics. Ultimately it doesn't suck but it is far from their greatest effort, let alone a masterpiece as so many claim. There will be no Classic Album episode about Clockwork Angels as there is for Moving Pictures and 2112 because it will not be a Classic Album. For many other bands this might a great album but from Rush it is not. It is fair to decent for them.

I agree with this. Way too many people on here throwing masterpiece around with this album, probably not realizing what it even means. It's not even close to being Rush's best album, let alone a masterpiece.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove into Manhattan from the middle of Long Island on Sat. June 16th for a gig @ Tammany Hall lower east~side...just three days after the release of CA.

Me, and three band mates listened to CA from start to finish during that long trek on the LIE.

Goose~bump moments all the way for me, and great accolades from my non Rush~head friends. What great inspiration we shared!!!

If someone told me back in 1984 that I'd be totally rocked by a new Rush album in 2012 while driving to my own gig in NYC, I'd LOL....

It happened, and I LOL'd!!!

smile.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 6 2012, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2012, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 26 2012, 10:09 AM)
The truth is that if many of the older fans didn't like Signals

Bullshit . I love it and think it is the last Great album they have put out

I thought you loved CA?

you're thinking of S&A...

QUOTE (RushIslander @ Aug 6 2012, 08:57 PM)
I drove into Manhattan from the middle of Long Island on Sat. June 16th for a gig @ Tammany Hall lower east~side...just three days after the release of CA.

Me, and three band mates listened to CA from start to finish during that long trek on the LIE.

Goose~bump moments all the way for me, and great accolades from my non Rush~head friends. What great inspiration we shared!!!

If someone told me back in 1984 that I'd be totally rocked by a new Rush album in 2012 while driving to my own gig in NYC, I'd LOL....

It happened, and I LOL'd!!!

smile.gif

goodpost.gif

LIE...eeek!!!

I agree. I never expected 30 years later to be enjoying a new release so much. Many of my non-Rush friends have had the same reaction to the new album.

Good story.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 6 2012, 05:29 PM)
For many other bands this might a great album but from Rush it is not. It is fair to decent for them.

Well I think you are entirely wrong, but that's what makes the world go round.

And I meant it was weird to visit a band website and continually bash them.

Disliking some of their catalog is one thing - but really not liking anything for over 20 years and continually bashing them for it on messageboards??

Weird to me - and a bit obsessive.

Edited by eshine

Allthough I like both VT and S&A there is something formulaic over them. Though, a couple of the songs on S&A are easily in my top 50, or 40 or 30.

C&A on the other hand shows them revisiting older work and revisiting they way they wrote melodies before. For example, in the 80s they wrote music mostly on guitar, bass and synth/piano. Therefore we got a lot of splendid melodies. In the 90s and up to S&A they followed the Nirvana wibe (spit/curse), and wrote their songs only on guitar and bass. I dont know who writes the majority of the music in Rush, but it is my solemn opinion that you cant write a decent melody on bass.

So, therefore I am very glad to hear that on CA, on a very few tracks, they have started revisiting the 80s way of writing songs. I then think on the ultra melodic "The Wreckers" and the ultra beautiful song "The Garden".

Geddy wrote The Wreckers on guitar and I strongly feel that he may have written, at least parts of The Garden on a piano or something.

Allthough I love me some BU2B ish songs 1022.gif , I hope Geddy will elaborate more on the guitar/synth on the songs for the next album.

I love Rush and I've always embraced their creative changes in style. It's what makes them Rush! However, not everyone is going to be pleased with the offerings of a band that's been around for 40 years. Either way, I love CA!

Why is that weird? How many bands have been together as long as Rush with such a divers catalog?

Anyone who is a member here is obviously a Rush fan. Anyone who doesn't like a given recording is being honest. However liking an album just because somebody you like made it is dishonest. That is what is going on here. Suddenly it is cool to be a Rush fan so the mob mentality is taking over as if they've been fans all along. 99% of Amazon reviews is a terrible argument for why you like an album, or justifying your saying you like. My opinion is based upon what I've come to expect from Rush as well as being an audio professional and musician. My opinion is not based on any input from another being other than myself. I KNOW that CA is not a good Rush album. I can hear it in the production and in the material. I love Rush. They are by far my favorite band but they are far from infallible. They know when they make a good record and when they make a bad one. They rarely play material from HYF because they knew when they made it it wasn't good. They weren't having fun while they made it. As a result it sounds forced and lacks energy. When they talk about it they say it reminds them of bad stuff. Same with Caress of Steel. Of course they have to say they feel strongly about it because they just made it. But let me pose this: Had they truly felt strongly about all of the material they wouldn't have released only 2 songs and then toured. They would have pushed through to finish the album and then toured. I think they forced themselves to make this album and that's what it sounds like. So that everyone here would buy it and they have an excuse to tour again which is where they make their money now. Why do you think they release so many DVDs of tours? Because the tour is where the money is. The age of the album is over, as much as I hate to say it. Same thing for the arena rock star. The acts that come up now and in the future will not be able to generate the kind of audience for large venue tours. As all of the 70's and 80's bands (some 90's too) fade into memory so too will stadiums filled with music fans.

CA is not a good Rush album? laugh.gif That's a good one (among other good ones). You come off as a jaded and cynical Rush fan. Not everyone on this fan forum loves Rush like me and the many here, and, that's okay. At least you don't post your jaded and cynical opinions about Rush every week (or every day), like some pitiful attention-starved stiffs.

Why is that weird? How many bands have been together as long as Rush with such a divers catalog?

Anyone who is a member here is obviously a Rush fan. Anyone who doesn't like a given recording is being honest. However liking an album just because somebody you like made it is dishonest. That is what is going on here. Suddenly it is cool to be a Rush fan so the mob mentality is taking over as if they've been fans all along. 99% of Amazon reviews is a terrible argument for why you like an album, or justifying your saying you like. My opinion is based upon what I've come to expect from Rush as well as being an audio professional and musician. My opinion is not based on any input from another being other than myself. I KNOW that CA is not a good Rush album. I can hear it in the production and in the material. I love Rush. They are by far my favorite band but they are far from infallible. They know when they make a good record and when they make a bad one. They rarely play material from HYF because they knew when they made it it wasn't good. They weren't having fun while they made it. As a result it sounds forced and lacks energy. When they talk about it they say it reminds them of bad stuff. Same with Caress of Steel. Of course they have to say they feel strongly about it because they just made it. But let me pose this: Had they truly felt strongly about all of the material they wouldn't have released only 2 songs and then toured. They would have pushed through to finish the album and then toured. I think they forced themselves to make this album and that's what it sounds like. So that everyone here would buy it and they have an excuse to tour again which is where they make their money now. Why do you think they release so many DVDs of tours? Because the tour is where the money is. The age of the album is over, as much as I hate to say it. Same thing for the arena rock star. The acts that come up now and in the future will not be able to generate the kind of audience for large venue tours. As all of the 70's and 80's bands (some 90's too) fade into memory so too will stadiums filled with music fans.

This is the biggest pack of Bull Shark I have ever read. I had too read it twice just to make sure but You haven't even make one valid comment. You completely lost me on your comment that they don't play HYF any longer when its almost present on every tour:

Presto Tour: Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission

Roll The Bones: Force Ten, Time Stand Still,

Counterparts: Time Stand Still

Test For Echo: Force Ten

Vapor Trails: (Absent)

R30: Force Ten

Snake & Arrows: Mission

Time Machine Tour: Time Stand Still

So since HYF its been in every tour except Vapor Trails, that hardy constitutes not playing it live.

You ever thought that they released Caravan & BU2B because they felt stongly about it? No, Not never entered your ignorant mind. As for us loving CA because its cool now? You are so deluted on this one its not even worth commenting on!....But here goes: I've been a fan since Signals, I'm an accomplished Keybaordist singer/ songwriter and I also sing classic music for the Master Chorale of South Florida. So I can say I know a little about the art and I can also say this is their best album since the early 80's. The problem with many fans like yourself is a complete unwillingness or incapability to adjust to new ideas or concepts. You are unable to change or even adapt when others change. Hence you get left behind with your antiquated ideas which creates further animocity towards fans that do. I'm truly sorry (For You) that CA doesn't sound like RUSH's 2112-MP Era. But I for one am glad, Cause if you start reproducing the same album over and over again you become stagnet and fall to the way side. RUSH's longevity is due to their constant willingness to change. They don't rest on their laurels like many other bands. They break new ground. Sometimes painfully, but eventually they reach their set goal. Clockwork Angels is just that and a magnificent acheivement for a band that has produced such a diverse anthology. They have reach another Plateau in a range of many! Name another band that has acheived such heights while enduring perpetual changes in their creativity!

None!

"No changes are permanent, only change!" Neil laid the foundation of RUSH's History Past and Future in that line alone. Deal with it!

bitchslap.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 12 2012, 11:19 AM)

This is the biggest pack of Bull Shark I have ever read. I had too read it twice just to make sure but You haven't even make one valid comment. You completely lost me on your comment that they don't play HYF any longer when its almost present on every tour:

So since HYF its been in every tour except Vapor Trails, that hardy constitutes not playing it live.

You ever thought that they released Caravan & BU2B because they felt stongly about it? No, Not never entered your ignorant mind. As for us loving CA because its cool now? You are so deluted on this one its not even worth commenting on!....But here goes: I've been a fan since Signals, I'm an accomplished Keybaordist singer/ song writer and I also sing classic music for the Master Chorale of South Florida. So I can say I know a little about the art and I can also say this is their best album since the early 80's. The problem with many fans like yourself is a complete unwillingness or incapability to adjust to new ideas or concepts. You are unable to change or even adapt when others change. Hence you get left behind with your antiquated ideas which creates animocity. I'm truly sorry (For You) that CA doesn't sound like RUSH's 2112-MP Era. But I for one a m glad, Cause if you start reproducing the same album over and over again you become stagnet and fall to the way side. RUSH's logevity is due to their constant change. They don't rest on their laurels, they break new ground, sometimes painfully, but eventually they reach their set goal. Clockwork Angels is another Plateau for RUSH of many! Name another band that has acheived such heights while enduring perpetual changes!

No-One!

"No changes are permanent, only change!" Neil laid the foundation of RUSH's History Past and Future in that line alone. Deal with it!

bitchslap.gif

I suggest you read his post a third time then....he said "They RARELY play material from HYF". Some truth to that, because lately (compared to a lot of their other albums), they don't play that much from it...

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 12 2012, 12:26 PM)

You ever thought that they released Caravan & BU2B because they felt stongly about it? No, Not never entered your ignorant mind. As for us loving CA because its cool now? You are so deluted on this one its not even worth commenting on!....But here goes: I've been a fan since Signals, I'm an accomplished Keybaordist singer/ song writer and I also sing classic music for the Master Chorale of South Florida. So I can say I know a little about the art and I can also say this is their best album since the early 80's. The problem with many fans like yourself is a complete unwillingness or incapability to adjust to new ideas or concepts. You are unable to change or even adapt when others change. Hence you get left behind with your antiquated ideas which creates animocity. I'm truly sorry (For You) that CA doesn't sound like RUSH's 2112-MP Era. But I for one a m glad, Cause if you start reproducing the same album over and over again you become stagnet and fall to the way side. RUSH's logevity is due to their constant change. They don't rest on their laurels, they break new ground, sometimes painfully, but eventually they reach their set goal. Clockwork Angels is another Plateau for RUSH of many! Name another band that has acheived such heights while enduring perpetual changes!

No-One!

bitchslap.gif

I suggest you read his post a third time then....he said "They RARELY play material from HYF". Some truth to that, because lately (compared to a lot of their other albums), they don't play that much from it...

Nor should they tongue.gif

Too much great stuff to choose from to play anything from that one, other than Mission maybe

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 12 2012, 12:26 PM)

No-One!

bitchslap.gif

They don't play much of it because they are playing newer material, But its still being played. Their not going to play 2 or 3 songs from an album that is now 25 years old. The only albums that get this attention is MP and PeW. Do they play more than one song from Hemisphers or A Farwell to Kings or 2112 for that matter on any given tour? Do you think RUSH believes these albums are crappy albums as well? They just have such an intensive catalog that basically they can only play one and maybe two songs for any given album at that. Specially if they have new material. They wouldn't be debating weather to play the whole album if they thought it was crap.

Clockwork Angels is their best album since Moving Pictures. The more I listen to it, the more It's confirmed to me! Sorry guys, this one isn't going away as easy as the rest! They have a given us a true post-Moving Pictures masterpiece. Best is to Just Deal with It!

wink.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 18 2012, 06:09 PM)
schla03.gif schla03.gif schla03.gif

Here, I'll post a shortened version containing some of the more key points since you obviously have a real problem processing and comprehending thoughtful discussions (and judging by many of your posts here, even more of a problem respecting others and just acting your age. Jeez, you're almost two decades older than me and still you can't seem to manage!)

But judging by things I guess I can see how you'd "need this" to try and feel better about yourself. Good going man!

If this version is too long to comprehend, let me know, and I'll try to cut it down even more. Or hell, maybe there's a way of making my point using only emoticons. You seem to deck the forums with them like they're your primary language.

The whole point of having a discussion board to me is precisely to let the dialectic take hold, not reflexively squash any negative opinion or immediately question the poster's credentials.

So ... grow up! Let people talk. Stop trying to marginalize people out of some misguided notion of truth, or just plain ego-boosting, or a need for some kind of universalized, collective identity or sense of belonging, or whatever. You sound pathetic. What's the point of pages and pages of followed by the same terse praise? Life is short. Who wants to come to a forum to read fanboy boilerplate? Who's keeping score? Why the hell are we bandying about percentages in evaluating opinion on current album? What in the blue hell are some of you people really up to with all this? Ask yourselves!

A forum is a place to come and have kick-ass discussions! Not to pander to yourself and other fans! What are you really saying when you criticize someone for posting a negative opinion merely for expressing said opinion? That the reason it's The Rush Forum is because it's for people who only like Rush and all things Rush, so come one come all and self-pander or get the 'f' the out? Is that why you come here? To congratulate yourself for liking great music!?

Why do some people spend time on voicing their negative opinions? Because for a lot of people, for whom Rush's music means a great deal, critiquing newer material that honestly doesn't speak to them is their way of more fully appreciating the material they do love. Why we fall in love with certain songs and not others can be a very mysterious, abstract thing. We NEED other people's opinions, other perspectives, to try and make this intelligible to ourselves.

I don't mean to imply that that need for "bonding" is immature, but rather the potentially derisive and exclusionary behavior that can result.

Moderators, I know this is typical of most message boards, but is there anyway to cut down on this stuff? I guess it's easy enough to ignore, but there is quite a bit of it. Just isn't much fun. It seems like so many people feel they have to walk on eggshells around here and apologize in advance for posting anything even slightly negative. I tried reporting but it doesn't seem to be going through.

If any of the naysayers have tickets for the front two rows at any of the venues....actually if any of the naysayers have tickets anywhere in any of the venues for any of the up and coming shows I'll buy them off of you as you obviously won't be attending the show then.....or will you???

I'm thinking that they will be among the pre show crowds having a beer, excited to see Rush playing live once more. Will they try and force their negative feelings about Clockwork Angels on their pre show companions...doubt it!

Yes we are all entitled to our opinions and if they are that strong live by them, boycott the shows and let us who actually like this new suite of music enjoy it in the seats you really don't want at the show as this is such a let down for you in he history of Rush!

2.gif trink38.gif 2.gif trink38.gif 2.gif trink38.gif 2.gif trink38.gif 2.gif trink38.gif

schla03.gif  schla03.gif  schla03.gif

um..WTF???? There are other points of view...good God...i swear..un fricken believable. I respect people who love the heck out of CA but you...just can't see how some people like myself don't feel CA is god's gift

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

QUOTE (Scottishdood @ Aug 18 2012, 07:26 PM)
If any of the naysayers have tickets for the front two rows at any of the venues....actually if any of the naysayers have tickets anywhere in any of the venues for any of the up and coming shows I'll buy them off of you as you obviously won't be attending the show then.....or will you???
I'm thinking that they will be among the pre show crowds having a beer, excited to see Rush playing live once more. Will they try and force their negative feelings about Clockwork Angels on their pre show companions...doubt it!
Yes we are all entitled to our opinions and if they are that strong live by them, boycott the shows and let us who actually like this new suite of music enjoy it in the seats you really don't want at the show as this is such a let down for you in he history of Rush!

2.gif  trink38.gif  2.gif  trink38.gif  2.gif  trink38.gif  2.gif  trink38.gif  2.gif  trink38.gif

So by this you mean to imply that the naysayers are somehow being insincere? They don't really dislike any of the new stuff but are just messing with the folks who do?

And the key to "outing" this insincerity/hyprocrisy is this conceit of yours that they'll still damn well be attending the tour? In other words, they won't be living true to their ideals (of not liking the album)? Is that it?

Or ... they are sincere, but having some negative views about CA should disqualify them from wanting to see a band they really like live?

I'm not sure .... but Christ, either way some of you fanboys take this stuff waaaaaay too seriously!

Why shouldn't someone who doesn't think CA is the bees-knees still not want to catch the tour (where classic stuff will also be played)? I wasn't too hot on a lot of the Snakes and Arrows stuff they played but I still wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to see my favorite band! And hell, in the end I thought the S&A stuff was some of the best-performed material off the tour (maybe half of it wasn't my favorite compositionally, but I still appreciated the chance to see it live).

And no, I imagine the people who don't rank CA among their favorite works but still nevertheless wish to see it live will NOT be sharing their negative views in that context! Because that's not really the place for doing that! That's what message boards are for! THIS is where it is perfectly appropriate. Or should be...

By the way, I haven't had much to say against the new album. I'm mainly just flabbergasted by the crass ego-boosting kind of posts that treat people as if nothing they say is worth a damn just because some people don't want to hear it. And again, why exactly that is the case is what's truly interesting here. And the reasons for it, well they ain't pretty...

Edited by FarUnlitUnknown

I'm new to the forum but been a Rush fan for 35 years.I like all their albums,probably the one song I don't like too much is Tom Sawyer because it was overplayed and I like other songs on MP much better,that never got any airplay i.e. The Camera Eye,Witch Hunt.

QUOTE (FarUnlitUnknown @ Aug 18 2012, 06:53 PM)

Here, I'll post a shortened version containing some of the more key points since you obviously have a real problem processing and comprehending thoughtful discussions (and judging by many of your posts here, even more of a problem respecting others and just acting your age. Jeez, you're almost two decades older than me and still you can't seem to manage!)

But judging by things I guess I can see how you'd "need this" to try and feel better about yourself. Good going man!

If this version is too long to comprehend, let me know, and I'll try to cut it down even more. Or hell, maybe there's a way of making my point using only emoticons. You seem to deck the forums with them like they're your primary language.

The whole point of having a discussion board to me is precisely to let the dialectic take hold, not reflexively squash any negative opinion or immediately question the poster's credentials.

So ... grow up! Let people talk. Stop trying to marginalize people out of some misguided notion of truth, or just plain ego-boosting, or a need for some kind of universalized, collective identity or sense of belonging, or whatever. You sound pathetic. What's the point of pages and pages of followed by the same terse praise? Life is short. Who wants to come to a forum to read fanboy boilerplate? Who's keeping score? Why the hell are we bandying about percentages in evaluating opinion on current album? What in the blue hell are some of you people really up to with all this? Ask yourselves!

A forum is a place to come and have kick-ass discussions! Not to pander to yourself and other fans! What are you really saying when you criticize someone for posting a negative opinion merely for expressing said opinion? That the reason it's The Rush Forum is because it's for people who only like Rush and all things Rush, so come one come all and self-pander or get the 'f' the out? Is that why you come here? To congratulate yourself for liking great music!?

Why do some people spend time on voicing their negative opinions? Because for a lot of people, for whom Rush's music means a great deal, critiquing newer material that honestly doesn't speak to them is their way of more fully appreciating the material they do love. Why we fall in love with certain songs and not others can be a very mysterious, abstract thing. We NEED other people's opinions, other perspectives, to try and make this intelligible to ourselves.

I don't mean to imply that that need for "bonding" is immature, but rather the potentially derisive and exclusionary behavior that can result.

Moderators, I know this is typical of most message boards, but is there anyway to cut down on this stuff? I guess it's easy enough to ignore, but there is quite a bit of it. Just isn't much fun. It seems like so many people feel they have to walk on eggshells around here and apologize in advance for posting anything even slightly negative. I tried reporting but it doesn't seem to be going through.

And just like that, the budget for fixing the 'report' button was suddenly slashed to $0 for 2012. And 2013.

QUOTE (FarUnlitUnknown @ Aug 18 2012, 06:53 PM)

schla03.gif schla03.gif schla03.gif 062802puke_prv.gif schla03.gif schla03.gif schla03.gif