2112 in 2012?

Kenny Olav

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I haven't been on this forum in a while and I couldn't find it in the first 5 pages of topics.

It seems only fitting that they should play all of 2112 this year, does it not? They haven't played it in it's entirety since the R30 tour in 2004, which I missed (still pissed about that) so I'm guessing they've been waiting until the year that is exactly 100 years prior to its setting to play it again. Clockwork Angels shows a time of 21:12 on its cover... the time is right!

I have yet to witness all of 2112 played live, so maybe I'm extra hopeful it will be played when I see them this year. I know it takes up a lot of time in the set list, but it's not like it's weak material. I will be enjoying the show regardless of what they play, but to hear 2112 in 2012 would make all my nerdy impulses chime in harmony, or something.

I'll find out Sept 7 in Manchester, NH!

They didn't play all of it during R30. They played the first two movements, then cut right into the finale.

I hope they do, though I have my doubts. Though, given the string thing, it just might happen.

It would make a great encore.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2012, 11:43 PM)
Nope! This is CA's time to shine, but it might be very possible for R40. Hell, R40 might ahve all of 2112 in its entirety.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Yeah, but Ged can hardly sing it now. Heck, he has trouble with CA, or at least it sounds that way to me.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2012, 10:43 PM)
Nope! This is CA's time to shine, but it might be very possible for R40. Hell, R40 might ahve all of 2112 in its entirety.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Wasnt 1996-97 "Test 4 Echo" turn to shine, yet they played it then. If they play Overture/Syrinx whats another 10 minutes, dont play "Natural Science" that should cover it.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 25 2012, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2012, 10:43 PM)

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

i wouldnt get my hopes up for R40

There will be no "R40"

That has and always will be a fan generated term.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 25 2012, 12:40 PM)
yeah i'm also in the "doesn't-care-about-setlist-as-long-as-rush-is-still-touring-and-rocking" boat

Me three!!! We are fortunate to continue to have them tour and produce quality music.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 25 2012, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 25 2012, 12:40 PM)
yeah i'm also in the "doesn't-care-about-setlist-as-long-as-rush-is-still-touring-and-rocking" boat

Me three!!! We are fortunate to continue to have them tour and produce quality music.

my thoughts exactly trink39.gif

I don't think so because CA is an epic/concept album, they would clash and cut into time for playing other songs. I really want them to play 2112 in full or at least use the finale but I have a feeling they might skip the song this time.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Aug 4 2012, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (sdhonda @ Jul 24 2012, 08:51 PM)
They didn't play all of it during R30. They played the first two movements, then cut right into the finale.

uhmmm. there was no finale for r30.

you're thinking exit...stage left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWLxT5OFcWg

oh really? 6:12

I really had hopes we'd hear it all, being 2012, and the whole album thing worked so well for them with Moving Pictures, but I think everything will take a back seat to CA. Although, with the strings they could play my favorite, Tears live. Maybe a longer medley of 2112, but not the whole thing sad.gif..unfortunately not enough time with CA.

R40, I honestly thought we would indeed get that, but unless they just decide to do an anniversary tour and an EP like R30, I think they'll be pretty burned out. From 2 legs of TM, to recording CA, to 2 legs of CA, R40 now seems like wishful thinking.

I hope not , saw it already

Interesting responses. I thought there'd be more excitement about the possibility of it. I won't be upset if they don't play it in full, but "the dream is still in my head".

Listening to 2112 from Different Stages now. Discovery is where it's at right now... it sounds effing beautiful.

It would make a Great Set Closer:

Set 1:

Far Cry

CA (Entire)

2112 (Enitre)

Set 2:

Analog Kid

Limelight

Jacobs Ladder

Cut to the Chase

New World Man

Losing it

Tears

Different Strings

The Weapon

Manhattan Project

Available Light

Nal- Nar / Neil's Solo

Alex Solo/A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Subdivisions

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Agree with how terrific it would be for them to do 2112 in '12 but my feeling is no only because they did the "whole-album" thing for the Time Machine tour. Plus, my hope is they salute their pre-1980 stuff with more tracks rather than by putting all the eggs into the 2112 basket.

But the way these guys are going, maybe salute the 40th anniversary of 2112 in four years??? I know that sounds like they may have to do it from those electric wheelchairs or something but heck, the Beach Boys and Aerosmith showed they're still standing.

Edited by jjgittes