Will Neil join the Classical Instruments

losingit2k

Will Neil revive his older set-up due to the classical aspects of the show.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Will Neil revive his older set-up due to the classical aspects of the show.

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe 1/2 of the older set up but not all

I think he'll keep the same set up and just trigger the sounds like he's done in recent tours., but just imagine if he would bring back his old Moving Pictures Set-Up! Just Imagine the solo, (Neil playing all the parts of the rhythm section in some Classical song like the Overture of 1812.)

IT WOULD BE AWESOME! Simply brilliant!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 22 2012, 01:41 PM)
I think he'll keep the same set up and just trigger the sounds like he's done in recent tours., but just imagine if he would bring back his old Moving Pictures Set-Up! Just Imagine the solo, (Neil playing all the parts of the rhythm section in some Classical song like the Overture of 1812.)

IT WOULD BE AWESOME! Simply brilliant!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

No, he will still play that shit DW set with one bass drum and all the percussion sampled cool10.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 14 2012, 12:35 PM)
No, he will still play that shit DW set with one bass drum and all the percussion sampled cool10.gif

Well the reason he plays the one drum with the duo-pedal is basically to reduce on the different sounds that two bass drums produce. It is very difficult to get the same sound out of two bass drums. Yes it looks good, but thats the only positive. It's much easier to just mic one bass drum and use duo-pedals. The sound produced will always remain constant. Now that said, there's no reason why he can't bring out other instrument like the Gong, bell trees and Bell Tower. Yet again its much easier just to trigger them on the pads and his eletric xylophone. He's probably more use to that now anyway.

cool.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 14 2012, 01:35 PM)

um, yeah "that shit DW kit," that the guy who's been playing drums for over 40 years decided he likes better than any of the other umpteen brands of drums he's played in his lifetime.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 4 2012, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (smsterner94 @ Jul 24 2012, 06:02 PM)
I sincerely doubt it. Triggering is MUCH easier.

And we all know how much Neil like triggers. We should call him the Lone Ranger!

wink.gif

FAIL. Lone Ranger was "Hi-ho Silver, away!" Trigger was Roy Rogers' horse.

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Aug 14 2012, 08:19 PM)

um, yeah "that shit DW kit," that the guy who's been playing drums for over 40 years decided he likes better than any of the other umpteen brands of drums he's played in his lifetime.

do you think his dw's sound better than his old tama's? unsure.gif

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Aug 14 2012, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 4 2012, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (smsterner94 @ Jul 24 2012, 06:02 PM)
I sincerely doubt it. Triggering is MUCH easier.

And we all know how much Neil like triggers. We should call him the Lone Ranger!

wink.gif

FAIL. Lone Ranger was "Hi-ho Silver, away!" Trigger was Roy Rogers' horse.

You're right, when you get my age, you forget more than just how old you are. I'm surprised I didn't call him Buffalo Bill.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 14 2012, 09:32 PM)

do you think his dw's sound better than his old tama's? unsure.gif

Based on playing low and high-end Tama kits (and owning one), and playing DWs for the past 10 years or so, I'd say DW drums are WAY better than TAMA in general. What you hear on a recording or at a live show is not a good comparison to what a kit sounds like up close and un-amplified in a room with good acoustics. Neil's kits over the years have been recorded by various producers, in various studios, using various mics/recording equipment, etc. Even if you go to a Rush concert in two different venues on the same tour, the sound may be significantly different, because no two venues are alike acoustically. On top of that, the technology involved in all this has changed over the years, the way albums are mixed and mastered has changed, and the difference between old analog vinyl and tape vs MP3 and CD has evolved as well. That's not even getting into the differences between Neil's technique 40 years ago, compared to post-Freddie Gruber, which also affects the sound of the kit.

So to make a long story short--you would only be able to tell if you heard both kits side by side in the same room without mics. I only know, because I've been a drummer for 30+ years, and I've played a lot of different kits from different drum companies.

Neil has become a DW rump swab just like the rest of you. You can't possibly say that the DW's have better sound than the Tama's or Ludwigs.

Every album that used the Tama's or Ludwig's (until 1995) brought so much to the albums. Every album post CP, the drum sound has taken a huge step back.

The mixing may play a little in that but Neils drum sound is a shell of it's former self.

Do some live comparisons on YouTube, 1990 and post 1996 videos. My god, the live drum sound isn't even close!

I have been playing for 32 years so i know what I like . I don't like the sound of his drums . I prefer his older kits much like a lot of the people on this forum . You might wanna hang around a bit before you become so cocky . Um , yeah, that's how i feel

I've played all of 'em. You've heard recordings--all done by different producers with completely different approaches to the drum sound. It's that simple. You can refuse to believe that if you want, but I know from 30+ years of first hand experience with all of these drum makers' products how they stack up head to head. PS--in addition to my DW kit, I have not one but two Ludwig kits, so it's nothing against them.

QUOTE (ClassicB @ Aug 15 2012, 08:14 AM)
Neil has become a DW rump swab just like the rest of you. You can't possibly say that the DW's have better sound than the Tama's or Ludwigs.
Every album that used the Tama's or Ludwig's (until 1995) brought so much to the albums. Every album post CP, the drum sound has taken a huge step back.
The mixing may play a little in that but Neils drum sound is a shell of it's former self.
Do some live comparisons on YouTube, 1990 and post 1996 videos. My god, the live drum sound isn't even close!

While I agree with you that the recorded sound of the drums on his earlier kits was much better. They DO sound much better than the DW's recorded. I have to agree with HalfwaytoGone as well. It doesn't mean that its the fault of the DW shells. I do believe its the recordings. I do agree Neil's DW's sound like crap on the records but its the mix and recording techniques, not the shells.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Aug 16 2012, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (ClassicB @ Aug 15 2012, 08:14 AM)

While I agree with you that the recorded sound of the drums on his earlier kits was much better. They DO sound much better than the DW's recorded. I have to agree with HalfwaytoGone as well. It doesn't mean that its the fault of the DW shells. I do believe its the recordings. I do agree Neil's DW's sound like crap on the records but its the mix and recording techniques, not the shells.

In other words it's the oranges not the apples that have gone sour!

cool.gif

EDIT: spoiler alert--so, don't scroll down unless you don't care--original photo post moved to new thread.

P.S. decided this belonged in a spoiler thread...sorry for the hasty post.

Edited by HalfwayToGone