What is the best decade of Rush?

LedRush

What is the best decade of Rush?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best decade of Rush?

• 1970s (Rush, FBN, CoS, 2112, aFTK, Hemi, PeW)
    • 1980s (MP, Signals, GUP, PoW, HYF, Presto)
    • 1990s (RTB, CP, T4E)
    • 2000s+ (VT, S&A, CA) (add Feedback if it helps, though I doubt it will)

Note:

1. I have put Permanent Waves in the 1970s because every single bit of the album was done in the 1970s, and it was released on 1-1-1980. That's not an 80s album in my mind.

2. I've combined all post 2000 albums into one "decade"; it seemed to make sense to me.

• Like 1

I'll go with the 1970s. Four of those albums are in my Rush top ten (including my all-time favorite in CoS) and none are in my bottom five.

It's hard not to choose the 1980s. MP and Signals are both in my top three. But PoW is by far my least-favorite Rush record, and Presto doesn't help matters much.

It's close. If PeW had been placed in the 1980s group...

• Like 2

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jul 22 2012, 11:11 AM)
I'll go with the 1970s. Four of those albums are in my Rush top ten (including my all-time favorite in CoS) and none are in my bottom five.

It's hard not to choose the 1980s. MP and Signals are both in my top three. But PoW is by far my least-favorite Rush record, and Presto doesn't help matters much.

It's close. If PeW had been placed in the 1980s group...

Even though I think I'm on solid ground for putting PeW in the 1970s, part of my reasoning was to break up the power duo of PeW and MP to make the choice more interesting and difficult.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Jul 22 2012, 11:13 AM)
Even though I think I'm on solid ground for putting PeW in the 1970s, part of my reasoning was to break up the power duo of PeW and MP to make the choice more interesting and difficult.

Mission accomplished. smile.gif

I think your reasoning was sound.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Jul 22 2012, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jul 22 2012, 11:11 AM)
I'll go with the 1970s.  Four of those albums are in my Rush top ten (including my all-time favorite in CoS) and none are in my bottom five.

It's hard not to choose the 1980s.  MP and Signals are both in my top three.  But PoW is by far my least-favorite Rush record, and Presto doesn't help matters much. 

It's close.  If PeW had been placed in the 1980s group...

Well, given that my two favourite albums are Hemispheres and Permanent waves, you made the choice easier for me trink39.gif

70's

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jul 22 2012, 05:04 PM)
The best decade of Rush is the one you like best and mine is different to yours and changes regularly! Next question?

Well that kinda spoils the friendly debate aspect of this topic.

To me, a lot of rush is timeless music. Some of the 80s stuff however sounds like the 80s...but hemispheres or farewell to kings have no time definition, which to me makes them epic.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jul 22 2012, 05:16 PM)
80's (including Permanent Waves, despite your timeline shenanigans!).

tongue.gif

1287.gif

yes.gif

Well, if you don't want to play by the rules... tongue.gif

If Presto was included in the 90s group (as I think it should be) I'd go for the 90s. This is though because each other group has an album I really don't like (Rush, Signals, S&A) but the three 90s albums by themselves are not good enough. I'll probably go for the 70s. confused13.gif