• The Spirit of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Tom Sawyer
    • YYZ
    • Limelight
    • Subdivisions
    • Dreamline

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 19 2012, 05:32 PM)
I'm not a fan of the song 2112, and Geddy can't really sing it anymore anyway.

Or we could meet in the middle. Have the boys play the Overture in a classic medley like they did back on the Presto and Roll the Bones tour, and ffs don't drop the key - I hate hearing 2112 downtuned.

Oh, and I could go without hearing "YYZ" again... great song, but I've heard it at each of the shows I've been to, and they've played it every tour but one (RTB)... I could leave a YYZ-less Rush show and still be happy.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only two songs have been included in every tour since their release. And SoR was temp dropped for 1 tour.

So ts ans SoR are really the only 'staples'.

2112 wasn't on leg 1 of S&A.

Tom Sawyer.

I know it won't ever happen though. It's a good song but I saw them twice in 2010 and the song didn't do anything for me either time. If Iron Maiden can skip doing Run To The Hills on some tours than Rush could certainly drop Tom Sawyer for one tour, if for no other reason than to just see the reaction dropping the song would get.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 19 2012, 06:46 PM)
Something wouldn't be right if "Tom Sawyer" got left out.  It's just always been there.  I think I'd feel a touch uneasy leaving a Rush show without having heard "Tom Sawyer".

I felt the same way when they didn't play 2112 and Freewill. I walked out of the venue in amazement.....but I wasn't all that bummed.

I think that not playing Tom Sawyer would be a major act of bravery. It would show that they're not dependent on playing it, no matter how much of a "staple" it may be. They would be showing that all bets are off in their continuing career as a touring band....and that would be a good thing, IMO. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'd say either "Subdivisions" (too keyboard-heavy, and I've heard it enough) or "Working Man" (too "basic rock," and takes up too much valuable concert time).

I think, after all this time, that "Tom Sawyer" is continuing to bring in NEW fans who'll be going to their first Rush concert wanting to hear it. Rush wouldn't disappoint them.

Sure, I've collectively heard it (on radio, vinyl, cassette, CD, VHS, DVD, TV, and live) about 194,383 times, and I could do without hearing it again... but it's still a great song.

well you should not have included Working Man Either for the same reason you didn't include Red Barchetta. Working Man has only shown up during the later tours. It's a far cry from being a staple. Anyway i voted for Working Man. it's time to put it to rest for a tour or two.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jul 19 2012, 06:47 PM)
The drum solo.

Yes! From the list I went with Dreamline with CTTH a close second.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 19 2012, 05:30 PM)
Closer to the Heart, I'm somewhat sick of it too.

I love CTTH, but I'll agree on this. I don't like the way they've been doing it, I'd like to hear it the way ti was written.

I would love to see them play 2112 if they do the whole song. Just doing The Overture/Temple of Syrinx ruins it for me. Closer To The Heart has also been immensely overplayed for years, and I would be OK with not hearing it even though this is going to be my first ever RUSH show.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 19 2012, 07:27 PM)
CTTH. Just so Geddy doesn't have to sing the word "ploughman" again.

....You don't like how Geddy sings "ploughmen"? unsure.gif

I'd probably vote on 'The Spirit of Radio'. Good song, but I've heard it so, so many times, and I'd love for way to be made for something different, such as 'Cut to the Chase' or 'Chemistry'. Second choice would be 'YYZ' - it's great watching the boys be so technically proficient with this song, but instrumental-wise, I could really go for some 'Where's My Thing?'.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 19 2012, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 19 2012, 05:30 PM)
Closer to the Heart, I'm somewhat sick of it too.

I had trouble choosing between this and Dreamline. Dreamline got it.

They both can take a seat on the bench. If only one has to go CTTH. I know people love it and it's a staple. It's never been a favorite of mine.

One thing about setlists I think has to be remembered is similar to something Joe DiMaggio once said. I'm paraphrasing, but he said he played in every game because there might be one kid in the crowd who has never seen him play in person before. Same deal with some of these songs. Hard core fans say "Play Cinderella Man" but for someone seeing Rush for the first time, they're thinking "Play 2112." Rush does a pretty good job of mixing up the set list. More than some bands I know *cough, Black Sabbath, cough*.

I picked Freewill just because I don't care for the song. Although most of those I personally wouldn't mind if they dropped, this will be my girlfriend's first Rush show and I'd hate for her to not hear Tom Sawyer or Spirit, or most of the songs on that list live at least once.

Some people have heard Tom Sawyer a billion times since 1981, so it's understandable that you aren't thrilled about hearing it again, but try to remember that Rush shows aren't just for the longtime fans. Look around at your next show and you'll see a lot of new, younger fans and although you've heard a song thousands of times, and seen Neil's drum solo, keep in mind that lots of people there haven't. Shouldn't they get a chance to enjoy it too? .

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 20 2012, 09:11 AM)
One thing about setlists I think has to be remembered is similar to something Joe DiMaggio once said. I'm paraphrasing, but he said he played in every game because there might be one kid in the crowd who has never seen him play in person before. Same deal with some of these songs.

QUOTE (Gilbertk)
Some people have heard Tom Sawyer a billion times since 1981, so it's understandable that you aren't thrilled about hearing it again, but try to remember that Rush shows aren't just for the longtime fans. Look around at your next show and you'll see a lot of new, younger fans and although you've heard a song thousands of times, and seen Neil's drum solo, keep in mind that lots of people there haven't. Shouldn't they get a chance to enjoy it too?

Exactly right, you two. There are new (or casual) fans in the audience who are going to their first Rush show and want to hear "Tom Sawyer." The guys know this, so even if they don't feel like playing it, they do anyway. They were smart about it on the Vapor Trails tour: they opened the show with it, got it over with early.

Hard core fans say "Play Cinderella Man" but for someone seeing Rush for the first time, they're thinking "Play 2112."  Rush does a pretty good job of mixing up the set list.

I agree; they do a good job of mixing it up. The past few tours in particular, they've thrown some older, rarely played songs into the mix, appeasing us diehards who want the deep cuts rather than the hits.

There are easily 6-7 songs on that list, that If I never hear live again...... I'd be OK.

But if I had to choose just one, I suppose it would be Working Man. Great song (they all are)..but, please it would be nice to hear something off the wall like...Time and Motion, Cold Fire, Chemistry or Kid Gloves etc