08 - Best Song From Moving Pictures

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Tom Sawyer
    • Red Barchetta
    • YYZ
    • Limelight
    • The Camera Eye
    • Witch Hunt
    • Vital Signs

So, I am a high school principal any my school does a spring thing called Mini-Courses (a two-week window where the English Department teachers have a short course on something they and the students find interesting).

One of my teachers is considering a course on Prog Rock with a heavy Rush influence for this year. If she doesn't pick it up, I am doing one next year on Moving Pictures (mine this year is on baseball in literature... if I bill it the students will come).

This entire album, after all, deserves that kind of respect. Of course everyone wants to vote Tom Sawyer but won't. Red Barchetta... come on, now... is there a better Rush song live?

I used to actually use Witch Hunt as part of my history curriculum when I was in the classroom.

Etc. etc. etc.

My vote went to Limelight since it is my son's favorite song... but we are talking Moving Pictures... there isn't a bad vote on this one.

I chose"Vital Signs" I love how GeddyFinal.gif plays, plus it got stuck in my head for 2 weeks about two years ago...and i must keep it appeased so it will not come back fing.gif . "Red Barchetta" "Witch Hunt" & "YYZ" are always rockin hard 1022.gif . and as for "Limelight" and "Tom Sawyer" again i thought those were understood smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 24 2004, 06:31 PM)
This album is perfect. All of these songs have been my favorite from time to time. Camera Eye had occupied this spot for me recently, but that has since changed and now Witch Hunt seems to resonate with me these days. Partly because my band Trilogy has recently performed both, but I understand why Geddy doesn't want to play it. From a bass and keyboard standpoint TCE is a bit boring. Witch Hunt is a bit more challenging, but the lyrical content rings especially true in trying times (such as these).

Honorable mention to Vital Signs, partly because it was the first Rush song I recorded all of the parts to myself, and also because it points the way Rush went with their music through the 80s.

Mr. Lee doesn't like playing The Camera Eye!? But it's the meat of Moving Pictures! It wouldn't be the same album without it.

That's the only song from Moving Pictures I haven't been able to find a live rendition of. And now I know why... it really wouldn't be the same album without it.

Edited by Finbar

Wow, okay, this was a cd I just made (for my own listening of course) most recently that got my brain more focused on my job and it works really good! (song I voted for is only Rush - Moving Pictures song on cd)

Frank Zappa - Who are the Brain Police

Mystic Rythms

Eminem - Brain Damage

High water

Pink Floyd - Brain Damage

Vital Signs

Pink Floyd - Hey You

Available Light

Suicidal Tendencies - Trip To The Brain

Countdown

Exodus - Brain Dead

Between The Wheels

Green Day - Brain Stew

Geddy Lee- Moving To Bohemia

Notice the analogy,

Rush had Hemispheres, then Permanent Waves (maybe brain waves? . yeah i'm a little strange), then all of these songs are Moving Pictures or later, mixed with songs about brains. Now I know I'm strange.

This one is one of the hardest... I definitely say all of them!

But if we go by my play count on iTunes I would have to say Vital Signs wins... followed by the Camera Eye and Witch Hunt.