Does CA make the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?

DBJetsman

Where does CA rank in the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Where does CA rank in the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?

• 1-3
    • 4-7
    • 8-10
    • DOESN'T MAKE THE TOP 10

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 18 2012, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 18 2012, 06:47 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 17 2012, 07:49 PM)
Hold Your Fire is DEFINITELY on the bottom of my list. It sucks. And it also blows. The music is way way way too synth heavy and extremely dated. Also, it was the worst production and sound of any Rush album up to that point

The Keepers are Mission and Force Ten

The "Not Bads" are Time Stand Still and Prime Mover

The rest I just don't like

Rush probably without little doubt in my mind has the most diverse fan base of any major rock act in history.

I know so many different kinds of Rush fans.

1) Love their hard rocking heavy sound from the 70's and nothing else

2) Love everything through Moving Pictures

3) Love their synth period more than anything else

4) Love post 80's period more than anything else

5) Swear by Presto and Vapor Trails

6) Think Caress of Steel is their most underrated album (when IMO it is the most overrated by Rush fans)

So you must have loved Power Windows too right? wink.gif

Everyones tastes vary on the Rush Spectrum.

I have been a hard core fan since 1981. I have throughly enjoyed all their periods.

Hold Your Fire was a shock to the system for a lot of long time fans. But Power Windows gave a really good clue to the direction the band took with Peter Collins behind the console.

I would say on the whole Hold Your Fire is held in very high regard by most long time fans, and loathed by a few long time fans.

For me it is a brilliant album in that if you listen to 2112 then pop in Hold Your Fire it is truly remarkable that this is the same band.

That is the very definition of what Prog rock really is.

Not 10 minute songs......but the constant challenge to reshape your sound, push the limit, dare to try new things and stretch out your soundscape.

That is the very essence of Rush.

I do not like Power Windows either, but it is better than Hold Your Fire, mainly because of the production value.

Yeah, you nailed it, I'm just not a fan of this era for the band. As I said, it sounds so dated, a la cheesy 80's sound, and has far too much synthesizer and save for some nice solos, not nearly enough Lifeson.

A lot of fans seem to hold Power W in high regard, but I really can't listen to it or HYF. In my opinion, they achieved the perfect blend of keys and guitar with GUP, which is an album I love from start to finish. I think it has that sound of the 80's in parts but doesn't jump the shark with it. I think they overreached with the next 2 albums. Pretty sure Lifeson agrees on that wink.gif

Not that I blame Rush. They did what they had to do to keep themselves interested and explored new sounds. Bands don't stick around 40 years by not taking chances and doing new things.

I completely agree with you that it is remarkable that the same band did 2112, Hold Your Fire, Snakes and Arrows, and Clockwork Angels. Remarkable diversity in sound

I feel pretty much the way you do about Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Grace Under Pressure is in my top tier of Rush albums, whereas though Power Windows and Hold Your Fire each have a few songs on them that I like (mostly because of really good live versions), they are among the Rush albums from which there's simply something missing for me.

Also very much agree about the impressive diversity of the band, and the acknowledgement of how important it has always been to Rush to try different things. Even though there's quite a bit of Rush material that I don't like very much, I love the fact that they did it. They needed to do it to survive. I know how it feels to be crazy about a band when you're young and have them take a direction that isn't what you want, so I would say that this is the single biggest advantage of having come to Rush late -- I've never had to be disappointed by the new album!

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 18 2012, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 18 2012, 01:16 PM)
I'm not sure. I voted 8-10

1) Vapor Trails
2) Grace Under Pressure
3) Counterparts
4) Presto
5) Moving Pictures
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Permanent Waves

After this, things start getting indecisive for me:

8) ? Power Windows ?
9) ? Hold Your Fire ?
10)? A Farewell to Kings ?
11)? Clockwork Angels ?
12)? Signals ?
13) ? Test for Echo ?

It definitely beats out the following albums:

Rush
Fly by Night
Caress of Steel
Hemispheres
Roll the Bones

So I think it's highest ranking for me would be 8-10, so that's what I voted.

Vapor Trails #1 and Hemispheres at the bottom is certainly not something you see every day

I've said it a few times, but songs about Greek Gods and dudes getting sucked into Black Holes are just... silly.

Vapor Trails is so raw, so real.

Such is my opinion, carry on with the thread xD

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 18 2012, 07:55 PM)

1) Vapor Trails
2) Grace Under Pressure
3) Counterparts
4) Presto
5) Moving Pictures
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Permanent Waves

8) ? Power Windows ?
9) ? Hold Your Fire ?
11)? Clockwork Angels ?
12)? Signals ?
13) ? Test for Echo ?

Rush
Fly by Night
Caress of Steel
Hemispheres
Roll the Bones

Vapor Trails #1 and Hemispheres at the bottom is certainly not something you see every day

I've said it a few times, but songs about Greek Gods and dudes getting sucked into Black Holes are just... silly.

Actually that was from AFTK ph34r.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 18 2012, 09:12 PM)

1) Vapor Trails
2) Grace Under Pressure
3) Counterparts
4) Presto
5) Moving Pictures
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Permanent Waves

8) ? Power Windows ?
9) ? Hold Your Fire ?
11)? Clockwork Angels ?
12)? Signals ?
13) ? Test for Echo ?

Rush
Fly by Night
Caress of Steel
Hemispheres
Roll the Bones

Actually that was from AFTK ph34r.gif

THANK YOU laugh.gif

I find Book II to be a fantastic metaphor something vital to me in preserving my sanity and coping with my life -- the importance of balance in all things. I harbour a longing wish to some day make a film with a story illustrating that concept in today's world, and use that silly song about Greek gods in the soundtrack.

1) Vapor Trails
2) Grace Under Pressure
3) Counterparts
4) Presto
5) Moving Pictures
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Permanent Waves

8) ? Power Windows ?
9) ? Hold Your Fire ?
11)? Clockwork Angels ?
12)? Signals ?
13) ? Test for Echo ?

Rush
Fly by Night
Caress of Steel
Hemispheres
Roll the Bones

That just tells me you're more of a lyric guy than a music guy, which is totally cool. I am a fan of Rush because of their musicianship, not their lyrics. I am not inspired by Hemispheres lyrics either, but the musicianship is just phenomenal

1) Vapor Trails
2) Grace Under Pressure
3) Counterparts
4) Presto
5) Moving Pictures
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Permanent Waves

8) ? Power Windows ?
9) ? Hold Your Fire ?
11)? Clockwork Angels ?
12)? Signals ?
13) ? Test for Echo ?

Rush
Fly by Night
Caress of Steel
Hemispheres
Roll the Bones

Please give Hemispheres another try. It doesn't deserve to be at the bottom of your list with an embarrassment like RTB.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 18 2012, 08:54 PM)
I am a fan of Rush because of their musicianship, not their lyrics. I am not inspired by Hemispheres lyrics either, but the musicianship is just phenomenal

Well, then, the lyrically impaired La Villa Strangiato should be right up your alley! If it were not for LVS, Hemispheres wouldn't rank near as high for me. It's my "desert island" song. The live versions from RiR and TSoSL are among my favorite recordings of anything ever. (And, the RiR was before Alex broke up with PRS.)

Probably need to revisit the album.  Been years since I gave it a complete spin.  Based on memory definitely not top 10.  This thread was started in 2012 when CA was released, suspect there's a lot of "new album" hype behind some of the opinions expressed.  In retrospect, it was a blip on their musical radar when taken in context with the rest of their career (IMHO).

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 5:09 AM, goose said:

A truncated CA would have a shot at my top ten.  In its entirety, nope.

They wrote the half of the album that was great before going on tour then the other half that was kind of sub-standard after the tour, as if taking a break and going on tour had sucked all the creative zip outa them

Could've been their very best in entirety but as you say, unusually falls short for this band

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, Sun & Moon said:

CA has its moments, but in entirety: no, it's not in my Rush top 10.

Recently, I've given both CA and VT a new try. They're both clearly better than I remembered. One of the problems in them is that many songs that start catchy fade into weaker melody lines as the song continue. That's not so much the case with S&A or CP (that are easily in my top 10), the melodies are more solid in them in general.

Both CA and VT are the first Rush albums that I tested when doing a workout at the gym. A lot of energy but nothing that would distract me for a longer while, works fine! I prefer CA so far, though. (Both CP and S&A would make me lose focus, I love them.)

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 1