Does CA make the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?

DBJetsman

Where does CA rank in the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Where does CA rank in the Top 10 Rush albums EVER?

• 1-3
    • 4-7
    • 8-10
    • DOESN'T MAKE THE TOP 10

QUOTE (anchorman @ Jul 17 2012, 03:01 PM)
I'm shocked at how many people put HYF in the top 10. My guess is that HYF may have been the CD that got those listeners to become new fans.

It is easily my least favorite Rush CD. Roll The bones would be the next least favorite. Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of songs from those CD's that I like but for the most part..... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'd keep:

Force 10
Time Stand Still
Prime Mover
High Water
Tai Shan

Bravado
Roll The Bones
Where's my thing ?
Ghost of a Chance

you'd keep Tai Shan over Mission? that's crazy talk.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 17 2012, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (anchorman @ Jul 17 2012, 03:01 PM)
I'm shocked at how many people put HYF in the top 10.  My guess is that HYF may have been the CD that got those listeners to become new fans.

It is easily my least favorite Rush CD.  Roll The bones would be the next least favorite.  Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of songs from those CD's that I like but for the most part.....    new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'd keep:

Force 10
Time Stand Still
Prime Mover
High Water
Tai Shan

Bravado
Roll The Bones
Where's my thing ?
Ghost of a Chance

you'd keep Tai Shan over Mission? that's crazy talk.

Um, hate to tell you this but I don't think its so crazy. I actually think its a hard pick between the two songs - they are both excellent. Now keeping High Water over Mission , that crazy talk (IMO).

Of course so is keeping Roll the Bones, Ghost of a Chance or Where's my Thing over Dreamline. Thats a real head scratcher to me.

Heck, with the exception of High Water I would keep all of HYF and then include Dreamline and Bravado.

HYF is a great album (again, IMO). RTB - not really.

Hold Your Fire is DEFINITELY on the bottom of my list. It sucks. And it also blows. The music is way way way too synth heavy and extremely dated. Also, it was the worst production and sound of any Rush album up to that point

The Keepers are Mission and Force Ten

The "Not Bads" are Time Stand Still and Prime Mover

The rest I just don't like

QUOTE (anchorman @ Jul 17 2012, 05:01 PM)
I'm shocked at how many people put HYF in the top 10. My guess is that HYF may have been the CD that got those listeners to become new fans.

It is easily my least favorite Rush CD. Roll The bones would be the next least favorite. Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of songs from those CD's that I like but for the most part..... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I'd keep:

Force 10
Time Stand Still
Prime Mover
High Water
Tai Shan

Bravado
Roll The Bones
Where's my thing ?
Ghost of a Chance

I like both albums a lot, though I don't know that either are in my top ten (and RtB is the album where I became a fan). Dreamline and TSS are in my too 3 Rush songs (along with Subdivisions) though.

I guess my rankings right now look like the following, with CA sure to slip in the coming months:

MP

PeW

PoW

Hemispheres

CA

S&A

GuP

Signals

RtB

HYF

FBN

Counterparts

AFK

T4E

Presto

Rush

CoS

VT

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 17 2012, 07:49 PM)
Hold Your Fire is DEFINITELY on the bottom of my list. It sucks. And it also blows. The music is way way way too synth heavy and extremely dated. Also, it was the worst production and sound of any Rush album up to that point

Rush probably without little doubt in my mind has the most diverse fan base of any major rock act in history.

I know so many different kinds of Rush fans.

1) Love their hard rocking heavy sound from the 70's and nothing else

2) Love everything through Moving Pictures

3) Love their synth period more than anything else

4) Love post 80's period more than anything else

5) Swear by Presto and Vapor Trails

6) Think Caress of Steel is their most underrated album (when IMO it is the most overrated by Rush fans)

So you must have loved Power Windows too right? wink.gif

Everyones tastes vary on the Rush Spectrum.

I have been a hard core fan since 1981. I have throughly enjoyed all their periods.

Hold Your Fire was a shock to the system for a lot of long time fans. But Power Windows gave a really good clue to the direction the band took with Peter Collins behind the console.

I would say on the whole Hold Your Fire is held in very high regard by most long time fans, and loathed by a few long time fans.

For me it is a brilliant album in that if you listen to 2112 then pop in Hold Your Fire it is truly remarkable that this is the same band.

That is the very definition of what Prog rock really is.

Not 10 minute songs......but the constant challenge to reshape your sound, push the limit, dare to try new things and stretch out your soundscape.

That is the very essence of Rush.

Edited by Todem

yeah its quite strange really i dunno what to think, CA has some of the best stuff rush ever done and certainly up there with the most mature and developed rush material but....

when i go down the list comparing it with other rush albums it keeps dropping lower and lower

i think it's better for me personally to say at least four of the tracks on CA equal or even better in standard than anything they ever done....

Bu2b is a monster of a track very closely followed by caravan, the title track and the garden

the rest of the album doesnt hit those heights but is still very listenable indeed

it's this imbalance in quality that lets the album down as a whole really.... could have used another two mindblowers maybe smile.gif

which is why it drops down to around 8-10 for me or even lower, which is weird like i say coz some of the tunes like totally awesome

I thought long and hard about this topic. What are my top ten Rush albums? So hard to choose because every record has something of merit and value to me. However, there are albums that I will let play in their entirety without touching the skip button--those albums all claim the top spot:

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves

Signals

Clockwork Angels

Then you have the second tier which can now be numbered

5. 2112

6. Moving Pictures

7. Hemispheres

8. Counterparts

9. Power Windows

10. Vapor Trails

Tough call. Plenty to debate. Leave no doubt about this fact: Clockwork Angels is a return to form!!!

2.gif

I'm not sure. I voted 8-10

1) Vapor Trails

2) Grace Under Pressure

3) Counterparts

4) Presto

5) Moving Pictures

6) Snakes and Arrows

7) Permanent Waves

After this, things start getting indecisive for me:

8) ? Power Windows ?

9) ? Hold Your Fire ?

10)? A Farewell to Kings ?

11)? Clockwork Angels ?

12)? Signals ?

13) ? Test for Echo ?

It definitely beats out the following albums:

Rush

Fly by Night

Caress of Steel

Hemispheres

Roll the Bones

So I think it's highest ranking for me would be 8-10, so that's what I voted.

No way CA is a top ten album.

With the exception of the debut album and FBN, it doesn't come close to anything prior to, and including, Presto.

It may be better than Counterparts, but that's not saying much because I don't regard that album very highly.

It's a very good album, the best in a long time, but not top ten.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Better than anything between Moving Pictures and RTB, not as good as anything between FBN and Signals. I have it about 9th, with the potential to rise over time.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 18 2012, 01:27 PM)

With the exception of the debut album and FBN, it doesn't come close to anything prior to, and including, Presto.

It may be better than Counterparts, but that's not saying much because I don't regard that album very highly.

Trenken, is that you?

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 18 2012, 04:25 PM)

Trenken, is that you?

Can't be, there are too many positive things in there, Sourpuss does not know how to do that laugh.gif

Edited by canadianice

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jul 18 2012, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 18 2012, 04:25 PM)

Trenken, is that you?

Can't be, there are too many positive things in there, Sourpuss does not know how to do that laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 18 2012, 06:47 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 17 2012, 07:49 PM)

Rush probably without little doubt in my mind has the most diverse fan base of any major rock act in history.

I know so many different kinds of Rush fans.

1) Love their hard rocking heavy sound from the 70's and nothing else

2) Love everything through Moving Pictures

3) Love their synth period more than anything else

4) Love post 80's period more than anything else

5) Swear by Presto and Vapor Trails

6) Think Caress of Steel is their most underrated album (when IMO it is the most overrated by Rush fans)

So you must have loved Power Windows too right? wink.gif

Everyones tastes vary on the Rush Spectrum.

I have been a hard core fan since 1981. I have throughly enjoyed all their periods.

Hold Your Fire was a shock to the system for a lot of long time fans. But Power Windows gave a really good clue to the direction the band took with Peter Collins behind the console.

I would say on the whole Hold Your Fire is held in very high regard by most long time fans, and loathed by a few long time fans.

For me it is a brilliant album in that if you listen to 2112 then pop in Hold Your Fire it is truly remarkable that this is the same band.

That is the very definition of what Prog rock really is.

Not 10 minute songs......but the constant challenge to reshape your sound, push the limit, dare to try new things and stretch out your soundscape.

That is the very essence of Rush.

I do not like Power Windows either, but it is better than Hold Your Fire, mainly because of the production value.

Yeah, you nailed it, I'm just not a fan of this era for the band. As I said, it sounds so dated, a la cheesy 80's sound, and has far too much synthesizer and save for some nice solos, not nearly enough Lifeson.

A lot of fans seem to hold Power W in high regard, but I really can't listen to it or HYF. In my opinion, they achieved the perfect blend of keys and guitar with GUP, which is an album I love from start to finish. I think it has that sound of the 80's in parts but doesn't jump the shark with it. I think they overreached with the next 2 albums. Pretty sure Lifeson agrees on that wink.gif

Not that I blame Rush. They did what they had to do to keep themselves interested and explored new sounds. Bands don't stick around 40 years by not taking chances and doing new things.

I completely agree with you that it is remarkable that the same band did 2112, Hold Your Fire, Snakes and Arrows, and Clockwork Angels. Remarkable diversity in sound

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 18 2012, 07:16 PM)

1) Vapor Trails
2) Grace Under Pressure
3) Counterparts
4) Presto
5) Moving Pictures
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Permanent Waves

Hey, I like the appreciation for Vapor Trails!

That's a top 5 album for me as well - though not better than GUP, MP, PeW or Signals.

Presto, HYF, Counterparts and AFTK are pretty great as well. CA might come next - which is rank 10, but it might have to share it with Fly By Night, Hemispheres, 2112 and Power Windows. The others are below.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 18 2012, 01:16 PM)

1) Vapor Trails
2) Grace Under Pressure
3) Counterparts
4) Presto
5) Moving Pictures
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Permanent Waves

After this, things start getting indecisive for me:

8) ? Power Windows ?
9) ? Hold Your Fire ?
10)? A Farewell to Kings ?
11)? Clockwork Angels ?
12)? Signals ?
13) ? Test for Echo ?

It definitely beats out the following albums:

Rush
Fly by Night
Caress of Steel
Hemispheres
Roll the Bones

So I think it's highest ranking for me would be 8-10, so that's what I voted.

Vapor Trails #1 and Hemispheres at the bottom is certainly not something you see every day

Definitely top 10 for me. Some time passing is needed for me to best judge, so 5-7 range works for me at this moment.

Nothing will touch PW, Signals, Hemispheres, and Moving Pictures. (in that order) After that...I could see CA in the mix with 2112 and GUP.

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself