I want to volunteer

Steel Rat

I've been trying to find a job for almost a year now, and haven't met with any success. Thinking it over, I decided I want to do volunteer work pretty badly. I don't completely know why I want to, but I see it as something to do, a way to prove I'm not just lazy, a way to improve others' opinions of me, and a way to improve my opinion of myself.

I can't think of anything specific I want to do, I think I've decided that I'm pretty much OK with any general labor. The main issue I've run into is I don't know where to look. I also wonder if there's any pitfalls I should look for, like being taken advantage of, or maybe that there's benefits of volunteering I might not have thought of.

If anyone has any ideas or cool anecdotes, they would make me happy. cheer.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jul 16 2012, 05:26 PM)
I've been trying to find a job for almost a year now, and haven't met with any success. Thinking it over, I decided I want to do volunteer work pretty badly. I don't completely know why I want to, but I see it as something to do, a way to prove I'm not just lazy, a way to improve others' opinions of me, and a way to improve my opinion of myself.

I can't think of anything specific I want to do, I think I've decided that I'm pretty much OK with any general labor. The main issue I've run into is I don't know where to look. I also wonder if there's any pitfalls I should look for, like being taken advantage of, or maybe that there's benefits of volunteering I might not have thought of.

Volunteering, in addition to being rewarding, is a great way to network. People who see that you're willing to work, in the service of others are going to think very positively of you, and it will look good on a resume.

Habitat for Humanity or a food pantry are two good, obvious places to start.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jul 16 2012, 06:26 PM)

When I was laid off I volunteered at the local Habitat for Humanity. I'm in the real estate finance industry and I spent many hours in their office doing paperwork, filing, balancing and analyzing escrow accounts for the families, even had a few meetings with families about mortgages, taxes, etc. It was a very positive experience. It was office work that they weren't able to keep up with and didn't have to pay anyone to do. It was very enjoyable for me.

Yeah, I want to do that again also. Thanksgiving and Christmas

Is always a great time to volunteer at Homeless shelters.

did that one year...felt really good to help. yes.gif

The homeless are seriously desperate and hurting big time.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jul 17 2012, 08:26 AM)

If anyone has any ideas or cool anecdotes, they would make me happy.  cheer.gif

Do something you enjoy. I like reading so back in uni I volunteered at the city library to tutor adults [mostly in the 20s-40s range] looking to get their G.E.D. It turns out that my math skills (I didn't know I had any wink.gif ) were more valuable. I was able to help some folks, they were appreciative, and it made me feel good. I did that for about 6 months...basically until I didn't have any time for it anymore.

I don't see how you would be taken advantage of since the key word is "volunteer". Good luck.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jul 17 2012, 11:53 AM)
Yeah, I want to do that again also. Thanksgiving and Christmas
Is always a great time to volunteer at Homeless shelters.
did that one year...felt really good to help. yes.gif

The homeless are seriously desperate and hurting big time.

goodpost.gif

...Yeah, and they'll also steal your pizza too !!!!!! laugh.gif

Can't let that happen EVER! Pepperoni and olives and shrooms

is just TOO GOOD to have stolen! yes.gif rofl3.gif

pizza.gif

Good places to volunteer that look amazing on resumes:

- Retirement homes

- Recreation centers of palliative care units

- Homeless shelters/soup kitchens (or whatever you call them, places you feed the homeless)

- Hospitals (you can volunteer to hug babies among many, MANY other tasks. I'm serious. Children without parents in hospitals need affection and people line up to volunteer for it)

I volunteer every summer alongside a summer job. It feels great to volunteer (I do mine at a hospital). It really doesn't take much to make someone smile when volunteering. It's worth it.

Edited by USB Connector

I've been vice president of the Fraternal Order of Eagles for the past 3 years here in my city. We are one of the largest charitable organizations in the country and have 1000's of clubs (aeries). Here is a list of clubs in IA. See if there is one in your city. http://foeiowa.com/locate_an_aerie_.htm

Full US website http://foe.com/index.aspx

Hit me up for more info if interested.

It's nice to hear you feel compelled to volunteer. Try food banks, animal shelters, suicide prevention hot lines ect. There is no end to what a person can do. Your heart will lead you in the right direction. biggrin.gif 2.gif