Knowing your baby's gender prior to birth?

laughedatbytime

Would you prefer to know or not to know your baby's gender prior to birth?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer to know or not to know your baby's gender prior to birth?

• Yes, I'd like to know
    • No, I'd prefer not to know

It seems that more and more, recently, that expectant parents want to know their baby's gender prior to birth. Not sure that's true, but it seems that way to me.

Anyway, would you prefer to know or not?

I would much prefer not to...that's part of the miracle and wonderment of birth and a nice surprise (since I have absolutely no preference), IMO. Unfortunately, my ex-wife inadvertently told me (only about 40 minutes after finding out, in the second trimester) so I did actually know at the birth of my only child.

But I'm interested in your thoughts and perspectives...

For both, we found out. I liked that we did. BUT, if we had any more, I would wait to find out. I did it one way, now I'd like to experience it the other way. (The husband says we're done though - sad face.)

We kept it a surprise for both our kids, it just seemed more fun that way. My wife was CONVINCED that our second child was going to be a boy (mostly from stupid old wives tales), so she freaked out when a girl popped out. The look on her face was one of the best moments of my life when the doc said, "it's a girl!".

smile.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jul 15 2012, 05:40 PM)
We kept it a surprise for both our kids, it just seemed more fun that way. My wife was CONVINCED that our second child was going to be a boy (mostly from stupid old wives tales), so she freaked out when a girl popped out. The look on her face was one of the best moments of my life when the doc said, "it's a girl!".

smile.gif

smile.gif

Awesome story!

I knew for both. Had room painted, completely decorated and the shower produced useful gifts such as clothes suitable for a girl. Also were able to focus on girl names when researching names for the girls.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 14 2012, 06:04 PM)
We found out prior to birth of both kids....Helps in getting ready.

We did the opposite. The surprise factor was awesome both times. And, no offense, but I don't buy the "getting ready" thing. The baby sleeps in your room for about 3 months anyway, so you have plenty of time to paint. And, let's be honest, you move into Baby's R Us anyways, so how hard is it to return a yellow or green blanket for a blue or pink one? smile.gif

We did not want to know for our first 2 , we wanted to make it easy for us the 3rd time so we found out . I like Not knowing , it was fun

We wanted to be surprised on the first, so we didn't know.

The second we wanted the experience to be different, so we found out.

On the third because of the problems with the pregnancy, we really didn't have much of a choice.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 15 2012, 10:55 PM)

We did the opposite. The surprise factor was awesome both times. And, no offense, but I don't buy the "getting ready" thing. The baby sleeps in your room for about 3 months anyway, so you have plenty of time to paint. And, let's be honest, you move into Baby's R Us anyways, so how hard is it to return a yellow or green blanket for a blue or pink one? smile.gif

No...We wanted to ready and that's all there is to it...you can go ahead and paint and shop after the baby is born all you want. We did it before the baby was born and we were ready so we could sit around and enjoy our baby instead of shopping, and painting and returning blankets and moving into Baby's-r-Us and all that stuff that you should do before the baby is born....Besides we don't care how you do it up north. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 15 2012, 10:55 PM)

I didn't want the baby around paint fumes and they definitely slept in their own rooms right off the bat. My wife is Dominican and the showers they throw are huge events attended by the entire family not just the women so the amount of gifts you receive is substantial and it is nice to be able to get exactly what you need and tailored for girl/boy. Plus, those kids had me too tired to remodel or paint wacko.gif wacko.gif