Too much singing on CA?

ReflectedLight

Do you think there's too much singing on CA?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there's too much singing on CA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Some songs

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 13 2012, 12:56 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 12 2012, 11:19 PM)
No way.

Some of the strongest melodies he's written in years, some really GREAT vocal performances, and all of the vocals fit nicely with the music and the context of the story.

trink39.gif

Too much singing? This has got to be the most ridiculous criticism of the album I've heard yet.

The singing is AWESOME. For the first time in several albums, catchy choruses and great vocal melodies are back... and I'm LOVING IT! Strangely enough, the singing is what I love MOST about this album; the fact that the instrumentation is hard-rocking and virtuosic is just gravy.

that's fine dude but i just think that there are many parts of some songs where ged needs to shut up and play and let the music breath instead of repeating the chorus again and again. say what you have to say and let the music do the rest.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Sounds like any other album to me.

If I am going to knit pick anything vocals wise on the album, it would be the background of Wish Them Well, with Geddy singing, "Wish... them... well..."

I like the song but that part, not so much.

No way.

Some of the strongest melodies he's written in years, some really GREAT vocal performances, and all of the vocals fit nicely with the music and the context of the story.

Lol is all I can really say to this.

No way.

trink39.gif

Too much singing? This has got to be the most ridiculous criticism of the album I've heard yet.

The singing is AWESOME. For the first time in several albums, catchy choruses and great vocal melodies are back... and I'm LOVING IT! Strangely enough, the singing is what I love MOST about this album; the fact that the instrumentation is hard-rocking and virtuosic is just gravy.

Awesome thoughts...I was chatting with Gedneil apeart about this...to me his voice is captured in a powerful way on this effort.

My one criticism that i have are the overdubs in WTW. Something about to me just doesn't sit well with my ears. I love the song though. anyway Ged is in fine form on this album.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 13 2012, 09:31 AM)
They had a story to tell, but I still wish there was at least one instrumental, considering how awesome their instrumentals ALWAYS are.

Yup, cut BU2B2 completely and substitute it with a shortish 3-3.5 minute instrumental.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 13 2012, 06:22 AM)
I firmly believe I would have liked the album more if they hadn't changed the opening of BU2B (the voice sounds not so good, and the guitars tinty, not full and thick sounding like Halo Effect---prob because of The Mobile Lerxst unit being so different from the studio) and if maybe there was a bit of effect or reverb or echo on Ged's voice on BU2B2 or if they had substituted an instrumental for BU2B2.

Other than that I love the album to death...

I don't like the new intro either- the acoustic guitar sounds terrible.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 06:44 AM)
No way.

GeddyFinal.gif The guy is right on the money, you jealous little twit

No. It seems like there's space and not too much singing. In fact, the space is noticable to me compared to other recent Rush albums. Noticable! Funny when folks hear the opposite.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jul 13 2012, 08:53 AM)
No way.

Yeah, Geddys singing is awesome on this album. lol

He's as old as you are, Im not surprised you're sucking his nuts all day. Old people cant tell when other old people sound like shit. If you heard this 30 years ago you might hear what I hear.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 09:33 AM)
No way.

He's as old as you are, Im not surprised you're sucking his nuts all day. Old people cant tell when other old people sound like shit. If you heard this 30 years ago you might hear what I hear.

You are full of shit, I know it, hell everyone on here knows it. The problem with you is you think your OPINION is the only one that counts, give your dweeb like melon a shake. 2.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 09:33 AM)
No way.

Don't mess with Mr. Nice...bad things happen to those who mess with Mr. Nice. Remember it's friday the 13th!!!!

Speaking of nuts...how do GeminiRisings taste?

take for instance the garden. alot of people love the song but i'm not finding myself wanting to listen to it. the message might be nice but it drags along music and vocals. i don't mind the pace at all but it's not making me want to come back to it. "it is what it is". trink38.gif

Why does everyone need an instrumental ? I have not liked any instrumental they have done since YYX , they have done nothing for me

Where's the "Trenken should sing it instead" option?

This poll... IS INCOMPLETE!

I think Geddy sounds fantastic on this record. I don't have any complaints at all about the singing, not the amount or the vocal melodies or the performances. My only complaint is that some of the lyrics are a bit repetitive, and I sometimes find myself wishing that the words were changed up just a little more.

No way.

We've heard your voice, now Trenken and you kinda sounded like someones little brother doing a falsetto version of Hemispheres in the shower...

Sorry man. I know, I know - you were tired and you were singing into a phone.

Any musician or songwriter worth his salt would agree that this is a very melodic record and at the very least well performed by Geddy.

You don't have to like it, but your opinion is not authorative in the slightest.

Strangely enough, the singing is what I love MOST about this album

I totally agree. His vocals, but more specifically his melodies make the record for me as well.

Took me completely by surprise, actually.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 13 2012, 11:43 PM)
Why does everyone need an instrumental ? I have not liked any instrumental they have done since YYX , they have done nothing for me

Because I've liked (to some degree) every instrumental they've done. I can't say that about every other song they've made.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 13 2012, 07:43 AM)
No. Sounds like any other album to me.
If I am going to knit pick anything vocals wise on the album, it would be the background of Wish Them Well, with Geddy singing, "Wish... them... well..."
I like the song but that part, not so much.

I think that would have been a good fade out part or something , it's just too much all through the song like that.

For the first time in many many many albums, I DON'T think there's too much singing.

And also for the first time in many many albums, Geddy has put together some really catchy vocal melodies. These songs are downright ear-candy, which makes this album really rewarding to listen to again and again.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 12 2012, 07:23 PM)
The massive instrument break in that song isn't enough for you?

the whole can't stop thinking big, in a world etc... there's too much singing throughout to me but glad you enjoy it. trink39.gif

They do tend to latch on to a line they like wear it out in a song. Becomes a bit grating even if its a good line. The same with repeating choruses too much. Seems to be Ged's writing style now.

Less is more in these regards I think.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 15 2012, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 07:37 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 12 2012, 07:23 PM)
The massive instrument break in that song isn't enough for you?

the whole can't stop thinking big, in a world etc... there's too much singing throughout to me but glad you enjoy it. trink39.gif

They do tend to latch on to a line they like wear it out in a song. Becomes a bit grating even if its a good line. The same with repeating choruses too much. Seems to be Ged's writing style now.

Less is more in these regards I think.

Yes, The Wreckers and Caravan are prime examples of this. Also The Garden. I think the song is ok, but damn that chorus is stretched a bit much IMO...