Too much singing on CA?

ReflectedLight

Do you think there's too much singing on CA?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there's too much singing on CA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Some songs

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I noticed was that Geddy seems to actually sing the solo for The Wreckers, rather than have a guitar solo in the middle. It's as if they queue up for a great guitar spot and then Geddy just does lots of vocal ad libbing. The guitar spot comes during the fade at the end!

Not sure that's a bad thing (well, okay, it would have been nice to hear the whole guitar solo at the end), but I think that might have been a first!

Not too much singing but I would like more jams. However, there were WAY more instrumental sections than on the past few albums, so I can't complain. Well.. I could but I won't.

No.

Tough. On the one hand I missed an instrumental, cause I like them. But there was a story so I understand. But then Ged's voice is going, but can't blame him.....so i dunno. Tough question.

Mick

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 12 2012, 07:31 PM)
They had a story to tell, but I still wish there was at least one instrumental, considering how awesome their instrumentals ALWAYS are.

Headlong Flight was originally an instrumental. When Freddie Gruber died, they added the lyrics. In reality, the story would not be any different without the lyrics from Headlong Flight. In fact, as good as that song is, it is kind of out of place lyrically in my opinion. Should have left it an instrumental

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 06:19 PM)
I'm not a fan of Caravan and one of the reasons is that I find Geddy singing too much, at least for me it's too much singing and not enough space.

The chorus vocals are terrible....I can't stop thinking big? schla03.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 12 2012, 11:19 PM)
No way.

Some of the strongest melodies he's written in years, some really GREAT vocal performances, and all of the vocals fit nicely with the music and the context of the story.

trink39.gif

Too much singing? This has got to be the most ridiculous criticism of the album I've heard yet.

The singing is AWESOME. For the first time in several albums, catchy choruses and great vocal melodies are back... and I'm LOVING IT! Strangely enough, the singing is what I love MOST about this album; the fact that the instrumentation is hard-rocking and virtuosic is just gravy.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 12 2012, 07:23 PM)
The massive instrument break in that song [Caravan] isn't enough for you?

trink39.gif

Too much singing? I'd say there's just the right amount of singing in that song. And the instrumental "Primus jam" is long and tasty.

i like the anarchist it's a great track but until ged's voice comes in it almost sounds like was supposed to be an instrumental then they changed their minds... might have made an even better instrumental but who knows now it is what it is Edited by lifeson90

OK, this is a dyed-in-the-wool, true blue, til the end-of-time Ged Gal. yes.gif

I love him to pieces, can't get enough of that man. heart.gif wub.gif

I adore his voice. I really could listen to him talk and/or sing damn-near all day long. wub.gif b_sigh.gif

So this will maybe sound strange, even shocking to some of you...

On a couple of songs... yes. A little bit too much... ohmy.gif

... ... ...

Only on a couple of songs, where Ged's voice was doing some fill, but an instrumental fill might have been just as good (or even a touch better).

The lyrics, the bulk of the songs, are wonderful just as they are. But there were just a couple of spots where they could have done instrumental, rather than vocal.

Like on "WTW", they could have faded the vocals out for a few reps of the title line unsure.gif

And similar on "The Garden", at the end, maybe one or two reps of the "In the fullness of time..." bit. unsure.gif

Possibly "Caravan", as well, but where would I have cut any vocals? I'm not sure. confused13.gif Maybe I just played it a bit more than needed before the album came out. unsure.gif

... ... ...

The rest is still perfect, to me. I wouldn't change anything else at all. icon_alienjig.gif

Ged's voice is awesome on every song! Gorgeous and strong, beautiful as ever. I still firmly set myself in the "I-could-listen-to-him-recite-the-phone-book" camp. So it feels so weird for me to say that ... on a couple of songs, I might have prefered one or two fewer reps...

huh.gif unsure.gif

yeah. OK. Get the straight-jacket.

I've lost my mind!

Garden Dancer, I firmly agree with you about Geddy's vocals..........except, instead of changing anything in the songs, I wish the band would have included one instrumental track on the album.

BTW, I LOVE the way you describe yourself as a "I-could-listen-to-him-recite-the-phone-book" fan of Geddy's voice!!!!!!!! wink.gif wub.gif yes.gif bncegrn.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cheer.gif common001.gif laugh.gif

I firmly believe I would have liked the album more if they hadn't changed the opening of BU2B (the voice sounds not so good, and the guitars tinty, not full and thick sounding like Halo Effect---prob because of The Mobile Lerxst unit being so different from the studio) and if maybe there was a bit of effect or reverb or echo on Ged's voice on BU2B2 or if they had substituted an instrumental for BU2B2.

Other than that I love the album to death...