Which is better?

rushgoober

Understanding that CA has only been out about a month, be as objective as you can and answer which is better?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Understanding that CA has only been out about a month, be as objective as you can and answer which is better?

• Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 15 2012, 12:51 AM)
Clockwork Angels is everything that makes Rush great wrapped up in a 68 minute masterpiece.

Snakes and Arrows is a "Far Cry" (wink, wink) from the Rush I fell in love with in the 80's. In fact, it's the furthest thing from the progressive, hard rocking, risk taking musicians that killed it in the 70's and 80's.

I love Far Cry and Malignant Narcissism. I like Main Monkey Business and The Way the Wind Blows. The rest I just don't care for...and it just feels musically beneath them.

Clockwork Angels is a top 5 for me and that won't change in 10 years

trink39.gif

I could've written this, right down to which S&A tracks you like and the degree to which you like them.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snakes and Arrow ultimately disappointed me. I haven't played it in several years.

So Clockwork Angels is high and above my choice here.

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Jul 15 2012, 05:14 AM)
a few days ago i decided to give CA a break after non stop play since release really... i was one of those rush fans who, for some reason over the years, thought s&a was slightly below par in parts, and as such havent really been listening to it a lot in the past year or two but.....

on taking my CA hiatus i had to listen to something occasionally so gave s&a a tryout, finding almost immediately that in some way CA has vastly expanded my appreciation for s&a

i dunno, there just seems to be a lot more going on in s&a now, things i hadnt appreciated before... like for example i knew good news first was a pretty good tune but now its elevated to probably one of the best rush tracks i ever heard.... and everything about s&a seems generally more laid back, bursting into power moments every now and then, which is the way i like my rush

CA is a great album with 4 or 5 truly great tracks on it but, as an album in entirety it lacks the balance of s&a and other classic rush albums like permanent waves for me. its just too frenetic most of the time, which is ok when you need some rush power prog but i always enjoyed the ups and downs of a great rush album even in my youth, and i need em more now i think smile.gif

anyone else gained a finer appreciation of s&a since CA release?

I have. I just find as an album....even with a concept. CA is a bit scattered. It does not seem like it's fully realized.....Though many would tell me, "it's realized your just not listening hard enough!!!!!" laugh.gif Any way, for me, for some reason, S&A works much better as an ALBUM. I feel like the odd bananna among you guys tongue.gif It's almost like the Angels in the album, you're all bowing down before it. I am not so sure wink.gif biggrin.gif

Mick

both are great albums.

rush is a very unique band. they are known for progressive rock. sometimes hard rock. they have a softer side to their song writing. geddy writes like a bass player and alex writes like a guitar player. just listen to their solo albums. i love the presto, HYF, PW and RTB years. great song writing and performances. the old stuff like 2112, FBN, FTK and so forth is great stuff. so much variety in the music. lots of detail. they change through the years. they write they way the want to and lots of people dig it. musicians dream come true.

CA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> S&A

2.gif

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

This thread inspired me to break out Snakes and Arrows and give it a whirl from start to finish. It had been a few years...

My observations:

The sound is really crisp. It's the production I so badly wish Clockwork Angels has...why guys why????

The production is wasted because it is such a boring album by Rush's standard. I called it musically beneath them earlier and I stand by that. I had forgotten how soft it was. Preachy folk music for the most part.

Far Cry is awesome

I had forgotten how awful Good News First is

Instrumentals are really good

Makes me appreciate Clockwork Angels so much more. The difference between the 2 is so dramatic.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 17 2012, 09:59 PM)
Wow. This has to be the most lopsided poll I have seen here.

Yeah, like when a kindergarten class was asked which they prefer, milk or prune juice.

103 to 16 Nice poll

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 18 2012, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 17 2012, 09:59 PM)
Wow.  This has to be the most lopsided poll I have seen here.

Yeah, like when a kindergarten class was asked which they prefer, milk or prune juice.

and Gompers chooses prune juice. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 18 2012, 06:37 PM)
moon.gif (here comes the juice)

atickhum.gif

Snakes is awesome. And mixed well. And written with finesse.  653.gif  yes.gif

And let's not make this out like I don't like CA. It is just not as good as Snakes to me.  no.gif

If CA had the same sound quality as S&A ( which I admit it doesn't sad.gif ) would you still prefer S&A?

For me, CA is the clear winner in terms of songwriting, story, concept, lyrics, energy, and positivity. So for me that overcomes the admittedly poorer sound quality ( which is a crying shame sad.gif ).

You people do not listen with your ears. When and if a next album comes out I imagine the posts then will be identical to this thread by the same people but CA will be the next S&A with the "new" new album getting undue praise.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 18 2012, 08:27 PM)
You people do not listen with your ears. When and if a next album comes out I imagine the posts then will be identical to this thread by the same people but CA will be the next S&A with the "new" new album getting undue praise.

This isn't me overstating CA's greatness just because it's new. When S&A was new, on its very first day of release, I was criticizing it harshly. I didn't give S&A a honeymoon period, what makes you think I'm giving one to CA?

CA is awesome!

If the next album is awesome, I'll say so, but if the next album is as disappointing as S&A (or worse), I'll say that too.

QUOTE (Khan @ Jul 12 2012, 02:47 PM)
Christ Almighty people....it's ALL effin' good.

What's your point? This thread is asking which one we feel is better. These superior blanket comments are getting annoying.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 18 2012, 09:27 PM)

yes.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 19 2012, 05:49 AM)

yes.gif

We're not praising CA because it's new. It's because the music is excellent. See the top ten poll and Goober's 1-10 poll. Honeymoon effect is minimal.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 19 2012, 06:56 AM)

yes.gif

We're not praising CA because it's new. It's because the music is excellent. See the top ten poll and Goober's 1-10 poll. Honeymoon effect is minimal.

Give it time. It will rate 7/10 in the long haul, IMO.

Absolutely not! no.gif CA is a classic, today, tomorrow, and forever. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 19 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 19 2012, 06:56 AM)

yes.gif

Give it time. It will rate 7/10 in the long haul, IMO.

Already is a 6 or 7.

Rush has 3 10's in their catalogue. 10's are perfect albums and thus a hard level to reach. Very good albums are not 10's. Or even 9's for that matter.

Its their best in quite a while. After the abomination of Snakes, it seems spectacular. But its about a 7. With a good point removed for inexcusable sound quality.

I'll give it a 7.5. A pretty strong record that I like with heavy penalties for sound quality. 6 overall rating.

CA>>>>>>>>Snakes. Snakes<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<any other Rush/Rascal Flats album

Edited by Pound of Obscure