Latter day Yes albums

The Owl

What Yes studio album, released after 1990 is the best?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What Yes studio album, released after 1990 is the best?

• Union
    • Talk
    • Keys to Acension 1&2 studio material/ Keystudio
    • Open Your Eyes
    • The Ladder
    • Magnification
    • Fly From Here

I was listening to "Magnification" today, first time in a long while, and really enjoyed it..and thd thought about what was the bes Yes album post 1990.

I still have not heard either "Talk" or "Open Your Eyes" mainly due to people keep telling me to avoid those albums...but aside from "Union" I pretty much like all their post 90s albums. I liked FFH and while alot of people didnt like Yes without Anderson, I still found the album very enjoyable.... "The Ladder" has a couple stinkers, but is mostly good. So for this poll Im gonna vote for the keys material...I really enjoy those songs.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 9 2012, 11:19 AM)
Magnification

yes.gif That's the one for me

One year too soon (1989), but I'd pick Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe, which pretty much counts as a YES project in my book.

I like "Union" although I know the band were disappointed by the result. Great memories associated with it for me.

Talk, by far. It is a top 5 Yes album in my book, and manages to combine Trevor Rabin's pop rock sensibilities with a little prog flavor and it rocks way harder than any of the 80s stuff they did with Rabin. Plus, Endless Dream is one of the best epics Yes has ever done!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 9 2012, 02:16 PM)
Probably Magnification. A year ago I would have said Fly From Here but I haven't really wanted to listen to it in a while. I also like The Ladder and Talk is decent.

Listened to Magnification today and I'm going with that.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 9 2012, 11:04 PM)
Probably Magnification. A year ago I would have said Fly From Here but I haven't really wanted to listen to it in a while. I also like The Ladder and Talk is decent.

The orchestration doesn't work for me on that one so much, the album is pretty good though.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 9 2012, 11:19 AM)
I like pretty much like all their post 90s albums. I liked FFH and while alot of people didnt like Yes without Anderson, I still found the album very enjoyable.... "The Ladder" has a couple stinkers, but is mostly good. So for this poll Im gonna vote for the keys material...I really enjoy those songs.

This

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 04:09 AM)

The orchestration doesn't work for me on that one so much, the album is pretty good though.

It would have been better with keys but the orchestra works for me.

For those who know, is there any difference between the Keys 1 and 2 studio material, and the actual album "Keystudio".. I have never actually heard the latter in full before... only the keys 1&2 double albums

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 10 2012, 07:40 AM)
Magnification for me. Soft As A Dove aside, it's a very solid album. The orchestration really works. The Keys material second, the material is a bit too half baked in parts.

Shut up Petey boy! The orchestration DOES not work and your mind is soft as a dove! 1287.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 10 2012, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 10 2012, 04:09 AM)

It would have been better with keys but the orchestra works for me.

Aye...

trink38.gif

The only album I've heard in its entirety was Union ( 062802puke_prv.gif ). Outside of that, someone was kind enough here to make me a compilation of what they considered the best tracks from all these albums. Outside of 1 or 2 tracks, none of it was anything I felt the need or desire to pursue. For the most part, Yes was done with 90125 for me.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 10 2012, 06:04 PM)
For those who know, is there any difference between the Keys 1 and 2 studio material, and the actual album "Keystudio".. I have never actually heard the latter in full before... only the keys 1&2 double albums

The Keystudio CD has a different version of Children Of Light. Other than that they are the same songs. Supposedly Rick Wakeman wanted to release those songs as a new album without the live recordings and call the album "Know". Keys To Ascension was the closest they ever got to the glory days of the 1970s so I like the live/studio double CDs myself.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 9 2012, 10:45 PM)
I like "Union" although I know the band were disappointed by the result. Great memories associated with it for me.

Great memories for me as well. Union is the only 90's Yes album that I own so it wins by default.

I remember the Union show fondly. In college at the time and not a care in the world. I still have the shirt (with several holes) from that show. Saw them 'in the round' at George Mason University. Very interesting in that pretty much all 7 of the musicians got their own solo (not counting Anderson).

The show was also probably at a time when my Yes fandom was at its peak. I think I listened to Relayer more than any other album at the time except for possibly Exit Stage Left.