Rate CA lyrically...

laughedatbytime

In which of these groups does CA rate lyrically?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. In which of these groups does CA rate lyrically?

• Number One
    • Top Five (but not the best)
    • Above Average
    • Below Average
    • Bottom Five (but not the worst)
    • The Absolute Worst

Also, please list your favorite, if not CA.

After listening to it while mowing the lawn today, I'm rating it #1, just ahead of previous favorite PeW and previously close second MP.

Wish Them Well, The Garden, and The Anarchist are sublime lyrically.

I'll say #1. There have been songs over the years that made immediate positive (Limelight) or negative (Half the World) impressions on me with their lyrics, but for the most part, lyrics don't matter a great deal to me and it takes some time before I really pay much attention to them (if I ever do at all). But a number of songs on CA impressed me lyrically right off the bat (The Anarchist, Carnies, Wish Them Well, Caravan, etc.) and some (especially Halo Effect) actually rise to another level thanks to the words Neil penned for them. It also helps that there are very few clunky moments (I don't like every passage of Headlong Flight). In the end, CA is right up there with my other lyrical favorites (PeW, MP, Signals) and probably beats them out.

Definitely one of Neil's best, for me. Although I must disclaim that I don't yet know all the lyrics, as I haven't sat down with the cd booklet yet, but there are quite a few lyrical moments that have given me shivers and pause to think. I think the cohesion of the album (being an album-long story) helps elevate the lyrics, too - they flow, yet each song stands alone, as well (well, except for BU2B2 - not so much a stand-alone kind of song! laugh.gif ).

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage"

"All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary, everything in life you thought you knew"

"Thank your stars you're not that way, turn your back and walk away. Don't even pause and ask them why, turn around and say goodbye"

"In the fullness of time, a garden to nuture and protect"

I think Top 5 is definitely a possibility, but he's definitely written stuff in the past that has had more of an impact on me, or at least grabbed me quicker.

In no order, but I feel the following albums overall are in the top 5:

- Moving Pictures

- Power Windows

- Hold Your Fire

- Presto

- Clockwork Angels

With that said, if we look at songs themselves, some aren't even on those 5 albums.

Regardless, Neil did some great work on Clockwork Angels! smile.gif

I'm not quite blown away by the lyrics. A lot of it is just fanciful descriptions of some fictional story that I can't really relate to. I like it better when he touches on themes of the world we live in today and makes brilliant observations about the good and bad natures of people, the trials and tribulations we go through in trying to live and love and find ourselves, etc. Also, I really don't even think he was trying on Headlong Flight. Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 8 2012, 07:33 PM)
ummm.. where is the "average" choice?

Since there are 18 studio albums with Peart lyrics, it either has to be in the top 9 (above average) or in the bottom 9 (below average)

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 8 2012, 08:10 PM)

Since there are 18 studio albums with Peart lyrics, it either has to be in the top 9 (above average) or in the bottom 9 (below average)

No... you are asking about averages, not the median!

tongue.gif

Definitely in the top 5. I've been writing a piece about the album and its literary influences and these lyrics are simply brilliant. Though I'm not sure it's fair to judge them - being a complete story as they are - against album lyrics that are not, or only thematically are, related.

Simply brilliant! wub.gif

Below average.

Vapor Trails and Hold Your Fire, lyrically, speak to me much more. There are very few epiphany moments lyrically here. I usually have a few of those moments for every Rush album after 1978, but on this one, outside of The Garden, I'm not getting floored with anything.

There isn't anything on Clockwork Angels that hits the same levels as the best of most other albums.

Edited by New World Kid

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 8 2012, 09:10 PM)

Or the middle six?

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 8 2012, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 8 2012, 08:10 PM)

No... you are asking about averages, not the median!

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

And I would classify these lyrics, as a totality, as typical, average Neil. Some lyrical gems (Clockwork angels, spread their arms and sing

Synchronized and graceful, they move like living things

Goddesses of Light, of Sea and Sky and Land

Clockwork angels, the people raise their hands - As if to fly)

and some not so clever and pretty pedestrian (It is what it is, and whatever ).

I put it in the top 5. I have to give Neil credit for pulling off quite a task: an entire (long) album of songs that tell a story, but aren't over-connected, but keep me interested all along the way, but don't give too much of the story away (I'll be buying the book to see what REALLY happened)...

The Anarchist is kinda interesting because we get a lot of insights into the motivation and his resentments, but not so much about what he's trying to accomplish in the story and how he relates to the Watchmaker or to Owen.

I love the lyrics to The Wreckers. I can always see that play out in my mind.

I guess I feel like I've just watched a really great movie trailer for a book - got just enough to make me want to buy the popcorn and start on Page 1.

I think CA's lyrics are above average, but there are some cliche notions here. I like the story a lot and far more than the whole Cygnus X-1 stuff (by a lot)...but not quite as well as an album like Signals (especially), which I think is some of his BEST stuff ever, along with Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. Edited by Presto-digitation

Above Average. I can not pick a favorite but I can tell you my favorite lyrical period is Waves-Hold Your Fire and this may be my favorite lyrical output as a whole since Hold Your Fire and of course I know for me this is their best album since Hold Your Fire.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 9 2012, 09:16 AM)
Above Average. I can not pick a favorite but I can tell you my favorite lyrical period is Waves-Hold Your Fire and this may be my favorite lyrical output as a whole since Hold Your Fire and of course I know for me this is their best album since Hold Your Fire.

I'd agree with that...(his best lyrical period and also best since HYF). Most definitely.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jul 8 2012, 11:26 AM)
Also, please list your favorite, if not CA.

After listening to it while mowing the lawn today, I'm rating it #1, just ahead of previous favorite PeW and previously close second MP.

Wish Them Well, The Garden, and The Anarchist are sublime lyrically.

I definitely like your three picks: Wish Them Well, Garden, and Anarchist. Toss in The Wreckers and maybe the title track, and you have a collection of some pretty good Rush lyrics/songs.

But lyrically, I don't think CA matches up to the lyrics of PeW, MP, or HYF, to name three albums off the top of my head.

I went with "above average."

Edited by GeddyRulz