CA - younger generations's MP?

dtpoet

I thought about this last night. I picked up my 16 year old from his summer job yesterday and as I was blast...er...playing CA, he said to me "Dad, a lot of my friends are loving this new cd!"

First, that's awesome. Second, it got me thinking that maybe CA is to this generation what albums like MP, Sig, and GUP were to my mine.

I got turned on to Rush with MP at the age of 13. Through those high school years, my passion for the band grew with the release of Signals, GUP, and finally in my senior year, PW. My first concert was GUP.

I was curious if any other moms or dads are having a similar experience with CA?

Well, my parents aren't Rush fans and I'm a bit older than your son (21 years old), but this is my first newly released Rush album since becoming a fan, and I think this might be true. I finally know what it's like to eagerly await an album and get it, only to be filled with so many feelings to what I'm hearing. It's such a great feeling to have, and I bet for MP being people's first Rush album or albums before/after had the same great feeling too.

The younger generation of Rush fan's is growing either through their parents introducing them the material or in my case, discovering the great band on their own. I can easily see CA being the younger generation's MP. I'm curious to see what other people have to say.

Well - my 10 year old daughter loves it. Instead of reading Nancy Drew, she has been listening to CA and reading the lyircs each night in bed.

I don't think the enthusiasm is there from her friends, though. She is going to grow up to be the nerdy/cool chick that likes interesting music instead of the same old pop crap as everybody else.

I should add that his friends' dads aren't necessarily Rush fans so his friends are not being influenced by their parents.

That doesn't change anything really and I'm not trying to make my point "right". I am very curious what others is experiencing.

I'm only 16 and I think MP destroys CA. In fact, I think CA is MAYBE an above average Rush album.

I don't think it's the younger generation's MP just based on the simple fact this album has not, nor will not have the impact MP did. CA doesn't have a song like Tom Sawyer or Limelight that will be able to launch the album to that level. While CA is a very good album and it's nice to see some youngins are liking it, the album isn't gonna be that huge.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 6 2012, 07:32 PM)
I don't think it's the younger generation's MP just based on the simple fact this album has not, nor will not have the impact MP did. CA doesn't have a song like Tom Sawyer or Limelight that will be able to launch the album to that level. While CA is a very good album and it's nice to see some youngins are liking it, the album isn't gonna be that huge.

I don't think any album by a rock band can have that kind of impact anymore. The music market has become too fragmented and radio is dead. So how does any band really make an impact outside of its own niche.

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Jul 6 2012, 06:19 PM)
I'm only 16 and I think MP destroys CA. In fact, I think CA is MAYBE an above average Rush album.

same here. MP and CA aren't even in the same league.....

QUOTE (Transcendent Pilgrim @ Jul 6 2012, 07:41 PM)

I don't think any album by a rock band can have that kind of impact anymore. The music market has become too fragmented and radio is dead. So how does any band really make an impact outside of its own niche.

Great point.

This post is just not true at all. If you're completely disconnected from modern music I understand why you would think this, but it simply isnt true at all.

There are many great bands out there building up huge followings. Some older Rush fans just paint the music industry as all about Katy Perry and Nickelback which is extremely ignorant.

People said this same shit in the 90s, and then bands like Tool and Radiohead came around. Radiohead is a band Geddy is a huge fan of himself and are iconic at this point, and bigger than Rush ever was, same with Tool. They've become far more popular than Rush ever has and didnt come around until 20 years later. Bands with a lot of artistic integrity, creativity and talent, and they're always coming out. It's a cycle that NEVER ends, despite the fact that you're just unaware of them because you're all hung up on the past.

More recently Mars Volta who Neil is a huge fan of has become very big. They're as complex as Rush ever was with time changes and believe me they do shit way more out there than Rush ever did and are big all around the world and have quite a few songs that have become very popular like their song The Widow. Even my girlfriend loves that song and she doesnt normally listen to rock. To her thats their Tom Sawyer and now suddenly shes a big fan of theirs. No different at all than what Rush did, and they didnt come around until the early 2000s, and there plenty of other bands like them and Rush springing up now.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 6 2012, 06:59 PM)

This post is just not true at all. If you're completely disconnected from modern music I understand why you would think this, but it simply isnt true at all.

There are many great bands out there building up huge followings. Some older Rush fans just paint the music industry as all about Katy Perry and Nickelback which is extremely ignorant.

People said this same shit in the 90s, and then bands like Tool and Radiohead came around. Radiohead is a band Geddy is a huge fan of himself and are iconic at this point, and bigger than Rush ever was, same with Tool. They've become far more popular than Rush ever has and didnt come around until 20 years later. Bands with a lot of artistic integrity, creativity and talent, and they're always coming out. It's a cycle that NEVER ends, despite the fact that you're just unaware of them because you're all hung up on the past.

More recently Mars Volta who Neil is a huge fan of has become very big. They're as complex as Rush ever was with time changes and believe me they do shit way more out there than Rush ever did and are big all around the world and have quite a few songs that have become very popular like their song The Widow. Even my girlfriend loves that song and she doesnt normally listen to rock. To her thats their Tom Sawyer and now suddenly shes a big fan of theirs. No different at all than what Rush did, and they didnt come around until the early 2000s, and there plenty of other bands like them and Rush springing up now.

Such a shame that the vocalist in The Mars Volta renders their albums completely unlistenable...

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 6 2012, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Jul 6 2012, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (t2s @ Jul 6 2012, 03:35 PM)
I'd say so, both albums are mediocre, with one major saving grace.

Did you just call MP mediocre...?

No he didnt......did he???

unfortunately he did. t2s, we've talked about this. you've REALLY got to stop sniffing glue. yes.gif

http://i37.tinypic.com/2wnqm3k.jpg

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 6 2012, 08:59 PM)

I think you missed my point. I like both Tool and , to a lesser extent, Radiohead. I haven't heard The Mars Volta yet but I'm definitely curious. My point was simply that, for any of the bands you mentioned, I have to actively seek out. While back in the day you would've had to live in a cave to avoid hearing TS.

QUOTE (Transcendent Pilgrim @ Jul 6 2012, 09:13 PM)

I think you missed my point. I like both Tool and , to a lesser extent, Radiohead. I haven't heard The Mars Volta yet but I'm definitely curious. My point was simply that, for any of the bands you mentioned, I have to actively seek out. While back in the day you would've had to live in a cave to avoid hearing TS.

Radiohead and Tool will never and have never sold out three consectutive nights in Chicago like Rush did back in MP times. Most high school kids, even during their heyday, wouldn't recognize a Tool or Radiohead song if it hit them over their heads.

People listen up, Rush will NEVER have another MP, ever. Rush will never have a single in the top 40. Rush will never win a grammy and Rush will never enter the RRHOF.

I think my point is being misunderstood.

First, I am not comparing CA to MP. It can't be done as they were born from two completely different eras for Rush themselves.

However, I remember the sense of awe, the satisfaction and the intrigue of being a young man and hearing something like MP. It completely turned my view of music upside down. So now some 30+ years later when my teenager tells me what he said in the OP, I was curious if other dads or uncles had heard anything similar.

Again, as a whole, you can't compare the 2

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Transcendent Pilgrim @ Jul 6 2012, 09:13 PM)

Radiohead and Tool will never and have never sold out three consectutive nights in Chicago like Rush did back in MP times. Most high school kids, even during their heyday, wouldn't recognize a Tool or Radiohead song if it hit them over their heads.

People listen up, Rush will NEVER have another MP, ever. Rush will never have a single in the top 40. Rush will never win a grammy and Rush will never enter the RRHOF.

I think that the combination of the hat and the mustache are like an antenna that attunes this mans mind to the universe.

Listen closely youngsters.

-----------------------------

The world of MP doesn't exist any more. Therefore, there can never be another MP. MP was like a baseball player who is spectacular for a few years before he makes the all star game. The band had paid their dues and made the right album at the right time. In retrospect I would put PeW ahead of MP, but I can't argue with anyone who thinks that anything from 2112 through MP is their best work. Baseball is a talking sport. RUSH is a talking band. It takes something interesting to get people to talk about it.

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Jul 7 2012, 12:13 AM)
I think my point is being misunderstood.

First, I am not comparing CA to MP. It can't be done as they were born from two completely different eras for Rush themselves.

However, I remember the sense of awe, the satisfaction and the intrigue of being a young man and hearing something like MP. It completely turned my view of music upside down. So now some 30+ years later when my teenager tells me what he said in the OP, I was curious if other dads or uncles had heard anything similar.

Again, as a whole, you can't compare the 2

It's not really about whether MP is better than CA. For arguments sake we can say CA is better, but while it may certainly impact individual kids such as yours, it can never have the same widespread appeal. The cultural landscape has just changed too much.