Wife Problems

MainMonkeyBusiness

I was playing the studio version of Hope just a couple minutes ago and my wife said it "sounded like crap". She also seemed to think the beginning sounded "like a country song" and that he was "playing a hillbilly banjo". wtf.gif How did I ever marry this woman. Country had permanently ruined her.

If she thinks Hope sounds "like crap" in her opinion, then there is no hope. Pun intended. fists crying.gif

Edited by MainMonkeyBusiness

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there may be little hope there unless you take the wife to a concert. My wife loves the music but she says it loses her at a certain point. Seeing them live changed that.

the new album is different though...she loves it....my kids love it...happy wife happy life!!!

trink39.gif

First off I would never try to 'force' my wife into liking something just because I enjoy it. Nothing wrong with different tastes etc.

That being said, unless she was joking around, it doesn't sound to me like your wife is very respectful of the things you enjoy.

How would she feel if she was watching her favorite TV show or something and you asked her "How you you stand watching this crap?"

Same sort of respect-disconnect?

confused13.gif

Edited by Godeater2112

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 10:31 AM)
First off I would never try to 'force' my wife into liking something just because I enjoy it. Nothing wrong with different tastes etc.

That being said, unless she was joking around, it doesn't sound to me like your wife is very respectful of the things you enjoy.

How would she feel if she was watching her favorite TV show or something and you asked her "How you you stand watching this crap?"

confused13.gif

I happened to be playing it while we were both at the table. I turned it down too, which I hate doing ( I like my music loud to be able to hear everything).

Well, I do ridicule her country, so to be fair, I can't complain too much about her saying it sounded like crap.

I needed to rant LOL. And it is surprising that she said that about Hope.

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 10:56 AM)
I was playing the studio version of Hope just a couple minutes ago and my wife said it "sounded like crap". She also seemed to think the beginning sounded "like a country song" and that he was "playing a hillbilly banjo". wtf.gif How did I ever marry this woman. Country had permanently ruined her.

If she thinks Hope sounds "like crap" in her opinion, then there is no hope. Pun intended. fists crying.gif

I am getting married to a woman who really doesn't like Rush at all. She says it doesn't make her smile, want to dance, or inspire her. It would be nice if she did like Rush but I won't live my life around Rush either.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 6 2012, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 10:56 AM)

If she thinks Hope sounds "like crap" in her opinion, then there is no hope. Pun intended.  fists crying.gif

I am getting married to a woman who really doesn't like Rush at all. She says it doesn't make her smile, want to dance, or inspire her. It would be nice if she did like Rush but I won't live my life around Rush either.

Oh I understand...I'm not really pissed, more dumbfounded about how someone could not like an acoustic guitar being played by Lerxst.

But in my case, she can't stand Zeppelin, Rush, Cream, Yes, most U2, most Coldplay, Genesis, or anything made before 1995. Really makes me sad. The only music we can agree on is some modern Metal.

I don't know if the OP was joking or not.......but making music a requirement....just no. My wife hates Tom Waits, yet i still think she's the most amazing woman i know. So i would never do that.....luckily she like Rush, but that's beside the point.

Oh just saw he was more shocked then angry.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Some metal...Drowning Pool, Alter Bridge, 5FDP, RED

Her Ipod is mainly filled with country, Christian Rock, non-classical piano (Dino etc)

I think it is more about when the music was made and less about the actual content of the music. Because she goes for the really shitty modern country, not the older stuff like Cash (which I can stand).

Hell, she even thinks Neil Young sounds bad!!

My current wife, girlfriend at the time HATED Rush, I mean just LOATHED it... but she was an exceptionally sweet person... packed a terrific arse and all that...

Wouldn't have brought this up had this topic not come up but... this link might help you guys out a LOT, just skip step #1:

link

Dissing your music is her way of expressing her resentment and anger about that one thing you did (or didn't do). You know what I'm talking about.

yes.gif

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 12:38 PM)
I don't need hypnosis I just wait until she's asleep LOL
umoveme....I know what you mean eh.gif drool1.gif

I didn't get it.

unsure.gif

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 10:31 AM)

confused13.gif

I happened to be playing it while we were both at the table. I turned it down too, which I hate doing ( I like my music loud to be able to hear everything).

Well, I do ridicule her country, so to be fair, I can't complain too much about her saying it sounded like crap.

I needed to rant LOL. And it is surprising that she said that about Hope.

Yeah...but there is a huge difference. Country music is indeed crap. You're performing a service by pointing this out to your wife. It's nice that she has someone like you looking out for her.

Try The Garden on her. If she can't appreciate the beauty of that song, she just doesn't appreciate music if you ask me.

My gf is much more into country and pop but I've got her to like a fair amount of Rush by playing it a lot. She likes the more linear stuff like TSOR and the mellower stuff like The Garden. BU2B and harder songs like that she'll never get into though. So be it. Oh, and it didn't hurt her appreciation for the band to be front row last summer either. Plus, she thinks Al is "cute" so that helps too (she's Al's age....I'm a couple of years younger).

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 12:38 PM)
I don't need hypnosis I just wait until she's asleep  LOL

No silly, I meant to hypnotize her to like Rush not to be dirty in bed!

Geez...

laugh.gif

I know...just playing.

I'm just going to accept reality and keep the earbuds in or wait until she's gone to play it loud. Oh well...

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jul 6 2012, 11:51 AM)
Try The Garden on her. If she can't appreciate the beauty of that song, she just doesn't appreciate music if you ask me.

I've tried The Garden actually. And La Villa Strangiato, Hope, all the instrumentals, basically.

I got her to listen to La Villa just to catch the time signature changes, but she lost interest.

I think she thinks any lead guitar is just noise unless it the mindless strumming of a country star.

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 12:55 PM)

I've tried The Garden actually. And La Villa Strangiato, Hope, all the instrumentals, basically.

I got her to listen to La Villa just to catch the time signature changes, but she lost interest.

I think she thinks any lead guitar is just noise unless it the mindless strumming of a country star.

I am a beginner Country music fan, mostly the Rockabilly type stuff, but there are a few of them that can really wail on the guitar.

I'm not mindlessly hating on country here. No doubt there is some real skill and musicianship involved. But I'm talking Aldean country.

Hell...I have some respect for Taylor Swift just because she writes her own stuff. And she's damn cute lol.

But I can give criticism to country: typically banal, mindless lyrics catering to an audience who likes to drink and drive and shoot guns out of moving vehicles; stereotypical drawl from the main singer; and repetitive guitar work.

But we are both from Oklahoma, so RUSH isn't well-known, but country is the music of the state. It isn't a country song unless it has these three lyrical elements: trucks, beer, and wimmen. Hint: Youtube "Red Solo Cup"

But her criticism of RUSH is: "I don't like it" and "it sounds like crap".

Maybe that what gets to me, just the immediate dismissal of this incredibly artistic and intelligent band.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 6 2012, 11:56 AM)

I am a beginner Country music fan, mostly the Rockabilly type stuff, but there are a few of them that can really wail on the guitar.

Some Rockabilly stuff, like old Johnny Cash or even some Chris Isaac, is tolerable. But real country music. 062802puke_prv.gif

Me and the hub are not fans of each other's music at all anymore

It's just one of those things that has happened over time.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 6 2012, 11:56 AM)

Check out any Lyle Lovett. The musicianship is top notch ALWAYS...in fact he uses the Troubador players on his studio stuff.

He does a little bit of everything...country, swing, jazz (ala harry connick) blues, bluegrass, and most exceptionall--black gospel.

He also does Townes van zndt remakes that are out of this world.

Check him out...you won't be disappointed!!!!

trink39.gif