How do you feel about CA about 1 month in?

rushgoober

CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.  

235 members have voted

1. 1. CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.

• 10 - Absolute Perfection all the way through - a masterpiece - their best or right up there with their very best.
    • 9 - Excellent, not one weak track and nearly perfect. One of their very best.
    • 8 - Great album - one or two weaker tracks - a must-own.
    • 7 - Very good album - mostly very strong - well worth owning.
    • 6 - Not their best, but still pretty darn good.
    • 5 - I don't listen too often, but it's a good album.
    • 4 - It's not bad, a good bit of weaker material - pretty good.
    • 3 - It's ok - I'll listen and enjoy some tracks occasionally, but not that great overall.
    • 2 - There are a couple of good or great tracks, but overall fairly weak.
    • 1 - Barely listenable - for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks. A real dud.
    • 0 - Just really bad, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Garbage.

I started a thread called "The I Love Clockwork Angels Thread." It's gotten some positive responses, but I notice it has nowhere near the amount of posts that some of the more negative threads get. That made me think that maybe the album really isn't getting as great a reception as it deserves. It seems that the negative backlash is more intense that I would have thought, and it came a lot faster than I expected, faster even than for S&A.

But then I looked at the thread titles in this sub-forum. Most of them are actually pretty positive. I'm guessing that what SEEMS to be dragging opinion down is mostly a handful of people who are being very vocal, and that the reason the negative threads get so many responses is that they're a magnet for trolls, as well as the same people who are really down on the new album (who aren't necessarily trolls), and of course those kinds of posts get a lot of fiery response going.

So let's see about 1 month in what the response REALLY is. How are people feeling about the new album?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it a year and check in realistically. I doubt I will have a different opinion (like VT and S&A) but many have said CA could be the exception. I know one thing for sure, I've had enough of NR as producer.

There's only one song that I don't like. It's the only one I skip on a regular basis. That's the best reaction I've had to a Rush album in 20 years.

It's not perfect, but how many albums are? Very, very few.

It's a classic Rush album. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Someone or more will choose 0.......just watch either for kicks or by a troll(s). And I know which ones in here will choose the lower numbers......no secret there, which is fine.

I like this poll and was thinking about the one month thing myself the other day. I predict the most common number will be an 8. The majority of comments in here are positive and yes, only a few squeaky wheels from trolls and troll like posts that whine and bitch all the time about it unfortunately generate a lot of posts....they want to make themselves appear a bigger voice than they are, trying to scream over the sea of cheers for this record. Doesnt matter.....the majority love it so far and I predict it will stay that way over time.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 5 2012, 05:33 PM)
But then I looked at the thread titles in this sub-forum. Most of them are actually pretty positive. I'm guessing that what SEEMS to be dragging opinion down is mostly a handful of people who are being very vocal, and that the reason the negative threads get so many responses is that they're a magnet for trolls, as well as the same people who are really down on the new album (who aren't necessarily trolls), and of course those kinds of posts get a lot of fiery response going.

Yes, that is the case.

When I saw your "I love CA" thread, my first thought was, is that really necessary? There's plenty of love for it going around already. It seemed to me like you had perceived a much greater negative response than I had. Aside from a few trolls or honest dissenters, I'd mostly seen positive reactions around here. I didn't get why you were saying that. It seems like, as you said, you were placing too much weight on those troll-magnet threads or the ones that just turn into big arguments, when really, those are just a very small number of the threads made. It's definitely a case of a vocal minority.

It's a great album, I can't even lie about it. It's somewhere between and 8 and a 9, but closer to an 8, so that is what I voted for. 2.gif I just dislike Halo Effect.

I chose 9. It's really nabbed me more than Snakes and Arrows did back in 2007 but then I'm a bigger fan now than I was back then wink.gif The only track I don't really dig is "Wish Them Well" but I like its message biggrin.gif

As of right now, I give the album a solid 8 based on my scoring system. It's maybe even an 8.5, but the description for 8 is much closer to how I feel. A really great album, and completely unexpected this late in the game! trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I voted number 9...

...this album is fantastic.

Just got done listening to it, yet again today.

It is so multi-layered musically and lyrically.

I love discovering new things with each listen.

I loved Snakes and Arrows when it first cam out and my love for that album has remained pretty strong....still one of my favourite Rush albums.

I think I'll feel that way about this album 5 years from now.

2.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif NeilFinal.gif 2.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 5 2012, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 5 2012, 05:33 PM)
But then I looked at the thread titles in this sub-forum.  Most of them are actually pretty positive.  I'm guessing that what SEEMS to be dragging opinion down is mostly a handful of people who are being very vocal, and that the reason the negative threads get so many responses is that they're a magnet for trolls, as well as the same people who are really down on the new album (who aren't necessarily trolls), and of course those kinds of posts get a lot of fiery response going.

Yes, that is the case.

When I saw your "I love CA" thread, my first thought was, is that really necessary? There's plenty of love for it going around already. It seemed to me like you had perceived a much greater negative response than I had. Aside from a few trolls or honest dissenters, I'd mostly seen positive reactions around here. I didn't get why you were saying that. It seems like, as you said, you were placing too much weight on those troll-magnet threads or the ones that just turn into big arguments, when really, those are just a very small number of the threads made. It's definitely a case of a vocal minority.

I'm glad you pointed that out, and that it truly does seem to be the case that the people who are down on the album are a very vocal, but ultimately very small minority.

Every groove is an event...they are at the peak musically. Endlessly fascinating. That's perfect to me. The singing is a revelation. Geddy has shown us his potential and exceeded it. Alex has never sounded more complete. Neil shows us new paths constantly. Indeed...it is perfection to me!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 5 2012, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2012, 03:34 PM)
It's only three weeks isn't it?

tongue.gif

It's close to a month, and let's be honest, most of us have had it a good month or so. wink.gif

trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 5 2012, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 5 2012, 03:34 PM)
It's only three weeks isn't it?

tongue.gif

It's close to a month, and let's be honest, most of us have had it a good month or so. wink.gif

So finally we hear something from the usually shy and reticent rushgoober...

eyesre4.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif