Wow...total Bravado ripoff?

Gompers

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 6 2012, 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jul 5 2012, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 4 2012, 10:50 PM)
They're not going to get sued. *rolls eyes* It's not illegal what they're doing, and I like most of it. Even if the drumming is subpar as f**k.

Really?? I consider much of that to be blatant plagiarism - e.g. the riff in Heaven Above is almost exactly the same as Caravan! I believe that a case can be made if a certain number of notes in a row are the same and I'm sure there are points on the album where that happens. And don't think that citing Rush as an influence would get them off the hook - if anything, it just clarifies the plagiarism further!

Obviously, if they we're covering the songs and just putting their own spin on them, that would be fine. But what they are basically doing is taking Rush's riffs, lyrics etc., selling them as their own and making money off it. Do you think Rush would be cool with that? Somehow, I think not!

So? It's not EXACT. Therefore, NOT suable. For them to RIP RUSH OFF, they would LITERALLY have to record a RUSH song, and call it their own.

I like them, personally, like I said, even if the drumming is shit.

It gives me a glimpse of what Rush could've sounded like if they were different.

You guys are all close minded as f**k. No one harps on Porcupine Tree for basically ripping off Pink Floyd in The Voyage.

And while i'm ranting, may I add that pretty much EVERY Metal band has ripped off Tony Iommi?

Everyone has ripped off Chuck Berry as well, most of all, AC/DC.

I don't know man, there are points where it does sound dangerously close to being exact - just listen to the guitar riff in No More Monkey Business. I'm not saying Rush would necessarily sue them, just pointing out that the music is so ridiculously similar at times, they probably could if they chose to.

Contrary to what you say, I always try to be as open minded as possible when it comes to discovering new music. But I really don't understand the point of what they are trying to accomplish here musically by using Rush's ideas in the way they are. I'd say the same for most people who rip of other artists without any real thought.

And yes Steven Wilson is JUST as guilty on Voyage 34 if not more so - that riff is pretty much lifted straight out of Run Like Hell! One of the reasons why I find that to be one of Wilson's least inspired pieces of work. Fortunately, he hasn't stooped anywhere near that low since!

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 6 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 6 2012, 11:47 AM)
No More Monkey Business = LTTA. Such a blatant rip off

I totally heard that rip-off when I listened yesterday.

Bass part starts off sounding almost like the beginning of Driven.

Personally I think it's shit..and all u ooh you can't say it's that and and can't say it's this and who hasn't ripped off sabbath or purple merchants should just grow some and say its crap!

Sick of people sittin on the fence!!

And how the feck is it a glimpse of what Rush would have sounded like if they were different?? Does that mean Depeche Mode may have sounded like Rush at some point! Stop talkin bollox n here people..don't get your heads too far up your own arses!

trink38.gif 2.gif trink38.gif 2.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Edited by Scottishdood

QUOTE (Scottishdood @ Jul 8 2012, 04:16 PM)
Personally I think it's shit..and all u ooh you can't say it's that and and can't say it's this and who hasn't ripped off sabbath or purple merchants should just grow some and say its crap!
And how the feck is it a glimpse of what Rush would have sounded like if they were different?? Does that mean Depeche Mode may have sounded like Rush at some point! Stop talkin bollox n here people..don't get your heads too far up your own arses!

Scotsmen don't hold back!!!

QUOTE (Scottishdood @ Jul 8 2012, 10:16 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Scottishdood @ Jul 8 2012, 04:16 PM)

Why don't you have the balls to just come out and say it directly to my face instead of hiding behind "people"?

I'm not about to back down from my opinion simply because it's not the majority. So no, I WON'T get off my ass. And i've got a pair. A nice pair.

By different, I meant if they had continued down the RTB era sound. Alot of this sounds like RTB era music. Especially sound wise.

Most of these" new " prog bands just sound like silly wannabes to me, they sound decent for a Rush tribute band. wink.gif

I still think they're purposely trying to reinterpret Rush's songs and write similar Rush style music. What band cites Rush as a major influence and then rips their songs off expecting people to think they're their own? Plus they're signed to 10T Records which is a pretty reputable label. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 8 2012, 10:21 PM)
I still think they're purposely trying to reinterpret Rush's songs and write similar Rush style music. What band cites Rush as a major influence and then rips their songs off expecting people to think they're their own? Plus they're signed to 10T Records which is a pretty reputable label.

goodpost.gif Exactly what I was about to say.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jul 9 2012, 12:28 AM)
I still think they're purposely trying to reinterpret Rush's songs and write similar Rush style music. What band cites Rush as a major influence and then rips their songs off expecting people to think they're their own? Plus they're signed to 10T Records which is a pretty reputable label.

goodpost.gif Exactly what I was about to say.

They do a pretty good - if amateurish - job of it, too.

I find them individually talented with respect to their instruments, but collectively unlistenable.

I guarantee that the person who signed them to their recording contract has not heard the ripoffs we obvious know about.

If this is album is indeed released, I would say that Rush is entitled to some money.

I still think they're purposely trying to reinterpret Rush's songs and write similar Rush style music. What band cites Rush as a major influence and then rips their songs off expecting people to think they're their own?

I know, there's nothing clever about it at all. But I'd still consider them to be doing just that unless they themselves acknowledge some of the actual musical ideas being originally by Rush.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 4 2012, 08:17 PM)
Link

Listen to the song "We Pay the Price".

I didn't find credits, but I think this is a big ripoff.

These are some pretty amusing / terrible songs.

Obviously slathered in Rush references as we've been discussing, but the opening to this track is definite "Between Sun & Moon" also.

QUOTE (Scottishdood @ Jul 8 2012, 05:16 PM)

Haha! Solid rant! Here here!

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 9 2012, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (Scottishdood @ Jul 8 2012, 05:16 PM)

trink38.gif  2.gif  trink38.gif  2.gif  trink38.gif  trink38.gif  2.gif  2.gif

Haha! Solid rant! Here here!

I thank you kind sir!!!

This band is such shit that it's kind of addictive actually.

If they prefaced this music with "we are enormous Rush fans who are not very good musically but love to try and mash Rush riffs together" then maybe I could learn to accept it. Maybe.

I kinda like it! laugh.gif

If they would try to write their own music, devoid of blatent Rush ripoffery, I'd be extremely interested in hearing more. Awesome sounding synth.

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jul 9 2012, 03:06 PM)
I still think they're purposely trying to reinterpret Rush's songs and write similar Rush style music. What band cites Rush as a major influence and then rips their songs off expecting people to think they're their own?

I know, there's nothing clever about it at all. But I'd still consider them to be doing just that unless they themselves acknowledge some of the actual musical ideas being originally by Rush.

I would like to see some reference or thanks to Rush for their influence/inspiration.

I was once in an original prog band signed to 10T Records (one of my compositions made their album) and I also play in a Rush tribute band, so I was curious about this and listened to the whole album.

This is not bad, but the major problem I have is with copying titles or chunks of lyrics almost verbatim, as well as signature riffs and song structures. I think that there have been successful music plagiarism lawsuits with less similarities. However, I don't think any of this would ever become big enough hits to warrant a lawsuit, and based on my own experience with 10T Records, there wouldn't be any profits to collect anyway. smile.gif

Kudos to these guys for writing their own music, and it's really great that they are influenced by Rush, but they should really try to write and sound more original. I write my own original music, and I am always glad when people tell me, almost surprised: "Wow, it doesn't sound anything like Rush!" That's the whole point - it's not supposed to.