Wow...total Bravado ripoff?

Gompers

Link

Listen to the song "We Pay the Price".

I didn't find credits, but I think this is a big ripoff.

One of the other songs is an instrumental called "No More Monkey Business",

They are overtly sampling and drawing from Rush, not in a bad way either, pretty easy to listen to.

QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 4 2012, 08:34 PM)
One of the other songs is an instrumental called "No More Monkey Business",

They are overtly sampling and drawing from Rush, not in a bad way either, pretty easy to listen to.

Missed that. doh.gif

Wow. They're likely to get sued bigtime.

Another song is called "Pull me Under". And it's not a cover of the legendary Dream Theater song, either. Doesn't even sound like it.

"No More Monkey Business" is pure TMMB. I don't need to say anything further.

"Heaven Above" starts and ends with the drum fill from "Chain Lightning", and the rest of the song is a blatant ripoff of "Caravan". Like, it's so bloody obvious. Wow.

This sounds more like an Rush cover band than an original band. I'm fine with that, though: they put some nice twists on Rush classics. The singer sounds just like Lee, and the guitarist is very much a Lifeson disciple.

Edit: The intro melody/lyrics to "Any Other Day" mimic the intro to "Wish Them Well". The rest of the song has a big King's X vibe - just like "Wish Them Well"!

"Love For Sale" has major "Ghost of a Chance" AND "Wish Them Well" vibes.

Edited by Deckiller

Wow, some of the stuff is very interesting to hear, even though they aren't being original. The song No More Monkey Business has a part in it that is literally the exact notes from Leave That Thing Alone, or at least sounds like it. The song sounded cool, but when I heard that, I was a bit bummed it's EXACTLY that.

The guitar players sounds like he worships Alex Lifeson, which is pretty cool to hear. Still, I look at this as more of a cover band with a unique twist by taking a bunch of parts from Rush songs and morphing them into one song with other twists thrown in.

EDIT:

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jul 4 2012, 09:46 PM)

Another song is called "Pull me Under". And it's not a cover of the legendary Dream Theater song, either. Doesn't even sound like it.

"Heaven Above" starts and ends with the drum fill from "Chain Lightning", and the rest of the song is a blatant ripoff of "Caravan". Like, it's so bloody obvious. Wow.

This sounds more like an Rush cover band than an original band. I'm fine with that, though: they put some nice twists on Rush classics. The singer sounds just like Lee, and the guitarist is very much a Lifeson disciple.

Edit: The intro melody/lyrics to "Any Other Day" mimic the intro to "Wish Them Well". The rest of the song has a big King's X vibe - just like "Wish Them Well"!

Whoops, didn't see your post. You pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. goodpost.gif

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 4 2012, 10:50 PM)
They're not going to get sued. *rolls eyes* It's not illegal what they're doing, and I like most of it. Even if the drumming is subpar as f**k.

Really?? I consider much of that to be blatant plagiarism - e.g. the riff in Heaven Above is almost exactly the same as Caravan! I believe that a case can be made if a certain number of notes in a row are the same and I'm sure there are points on the album where that happens. And don't think that citing Rush as an influence would get them off the hook - if anything, it just clarifies the plagiarism further!

Obviously, if they we're covering the songs and just putting their own spin on them, that would be fine. But what they are basically doing is taking Rush's riffs, lyrics etc., selling them as their own and making money off it. Do you think Rush would be cool with that? Somehow, I think not!

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jul 4 2012, 10:46 PM)

Yeah, but Wish Them Well is too damn new to rip-off, unless this band had a pre-release months ago.

Oh my, there are a ton of Rush riffs! Or at least similar riffs. Well, it is nice to hear other bands that sound like Rush. Don't really see guys like this too much.

Complete rip off from the first riffs of "We Pay the Price" Lyrics and everything.

He even sounds a little like Geddy.

They must be banished to the atmospheric domes of the outer planets ...silly replicators, and bad ones at that. I liken them to the serial killer in "The Silence Of the Lambs"...wearing RUSH's skin does not make you RUSH. Makes you dirty...and meaningless.

Get an original idea, kthanksbye.

What a bunch of crap.

Awful. Simply awful. Can't even listen to it.

Their ripoff of Bravado is like comparing the Mona Lisa to a toddler's finger painting.

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 5 2012, 09:43 PM)
I'm Rush is more flattered than offended.

This. I am sure Rush would be flattered, not offended. Can't imagine any Rush fans saying "I would buy CA, but instead, think I will go with these guys...."

hmmm.... My "100% Rush intolerant significant other" might listen to this album. Maybe I will get a copy and not mention the Rush roots. Who know? wink.gif

Sounds just like any other of the multitudes of Rush clone/wannabe bands I've heard over the years. It just doesn't work. They're trying so hard that they're tripping over themselves. That Caravan clone song is so stiff and grooveless it makes Kraftwerk sound like a swing band.

(No offense to Kraftwerk; it's their intention to sound stiff.)

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jul 5 2012, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jul 4 2012, 10:50 PM)
They're not going to get sued. *rolls eyes* It's not illegal what they're doing, and I like most of it. Even if the drumming is subpar as f**k.

Really?? I consider much of that to be blatant plagiarism - e.g. the riff in Heaven Above is almost exactly the same as Caravan! I believe that a case can be made if a certain number of notes in a row are the same and I'm sure there are points on the album where that happens. And don't think that citing Rush as an influence would get them off the hook - if anything, it just clarifies the plagiarism further!

Obviously, if they we're covering the songs and just putting their own spin on them, that would be fine. But what they are basically doing is taking Rush's riffs, lyrics etc., selling them as their own and making money off it. Do you think Rush would be cool with that? Somehow, I think not!

So? It's not EXACT. Therefore, NOT suable. For them to RIP RUSH OFF, they would LITERALLY have to record a RUSH song, and call it their own.

I like them, personally, like I said, even if the drumming is shit.

It gives me a glimpse of what Rush could've sounded like if they were different.

You guys are all close minded as f**k. No one harps on Porcupine Tree for basically ripping off Pink Floyd in The Voyage.

And while i'm ranting, may I add that pretty much EVERY Metal band has ripped off Tony Iommi?

Everyone has ripped off Chuck Berry as well, most of all, AC/DC.

Edited by D3strukt

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jul 6 2012, 11:47 AM)
No More Monkey Business = LTTA. Such a blatant rip off

I totally heard that rip-off when I listened yesterday.