The I Love Clockwork Angels Thread!

rushgoober

Ok, this thread doesn't have to be nothing but love for the new album, but let's try and keep the hate and criticism mostly for other threads (and there are PLENTY of those to choose from).

I'm always hesitant to express this much enthusiasm for an album so soon after release, as I did that with S&A and my opinion dropped from great to very good over time, but as of right now I'm seriously loving this album, and thought it deserved a thread where people could also heap it with the praise it deserves!

I guess the most complimentary thing I could say about this album is I'm enjoying it so much that I'm not comparing it to what came before. Is it as good as Hemispheres or Moving Pictures? Of course not, but that doesn't detract from the album at all. I'm enjoying it thoroughly for what it is, and what it is, is a great latter-day Rush album, better than anything I could have possibly expected!

The only truly weak and expendable track for me is BU2B2, and that's only 90 damn seconds. Halo Effect is the only other track for me not quite as good as the rest of the album, but still it's a very good song and a nice change of pace after all the heavier, more intense tracks that come before it. And Halo Effect is by far the 2nd shortest track, so even without those two songs it's still 60+ minutes of great Rush music!

I'm truly grateful this album has so far surpassed all expectations! yes.gif 1022.gif notworthy.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif biggrin.gif common001.gif

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 4 2012, 06:56 PM)
Ok, this thread doesn't have to be nothing but love for the new album, but let's try and keep the hate and criticism mostly for other threads (and there are PLENTY of those to choose from).

I'm always hesitant to express this much enthusiasm for an album so soon after release, as I did that with S&A and my opinion dropped from great to very good over time, but as of right now I'm seriously loving this album, and thought it deserved a thread where people could also heap it with the praise it deserves!

I guess the most complimentary thing I could say about this album is I'm enjoying it so much that I'm not comparing it to what came before. Is it as good as Hemispheres or Moving Pictures? Of course not, but that doesn't detract from the album at all. I'm enjoying it thoroughly for what it is, and what it is, is a great latter-day Rush album, better than anything I could have possibly expected!

The only truly weak and expendable track for me is BU2B2, and that's only 90 damn seconds. Halo Effect is the only other track for me not quite as good as the rest of the album, but still it's a very good song and a nice change of pace after all the heavier, more intense tracks that come before it. And Halo Effect is by far the 2nd shortest track, so even without those two songs it's still 60+ minutes of great Rush music!

I'm truly grateful this album has so far surpassed all expectations! yes.gif 1022.gif notworthy.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif biggrin.gif common001.gif

I'm so pleased that you love this album so much! trink39.gif cheer.gif

I love EVERY song on Clockwork Angels!!!

wub.gif cheer.gif common001.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I agree with you. At any angle, Clockwork Angels is indeed a GREAT album. I too am loving it for what it is worth. Worthy of high praise because it is a fabulous release! Edited by Jeffrey

I've been without power for past couple of days, but in my car I'm still cranking the hell out of CA. Thank you RUSH for giving me some light in these dark days!

QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Jul 4 2012, 11:10 AM)
I agree with you. At any angle, Clockwork Angels is indeed a GREAT album. I too am loving it for what it is worth. Worthy of high praise because it is a fabulous release!

Yeah, somehow this has gotten obscured on this forum in the last few days, but I couldn't agree more! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 4 2012, 12:56 PM)

Agreed!

I particulary agree with not comparing CA to previous albums - as a stand-alone album, it's awesome! I don't with it was another Moving Pictures or Counterparts (one of my personal faves), and if it was, frankly, it'd be boring. It's a rocking album, and I really like that it's a whole album - it's meant to be listened to from beginning to end, rather than skipped around or tracks left out entirely, at the listener's whim. I personally prefer listening to albums as a whole, and this is the perfect one to do this with. Slap on the ipod and do some gardening for a good hour, and I'm a happy kitty. cat.gif

Let's keep the CA love coming! wub.gif

The first full concept album from Rush, in which every single song can stand for its shining own. Breathtaking! The album captures me in so many emotional ways. There's pleasure, fun, melancholy, sadness, bliss...sometimes all of these in one song.

A man can lose (and find) himself in an album like this, which of course is a spectacle like I've never seen (and heard).

I loves it.

For Snakes and Arrows, outside of the instrumentals and a couple of other tracks, overall I didn't like it much at all.

Clockwork Angels?! I absolutely love it, my favorite new album since becoming a fan!

We got a few heavy, sharp, terrific songs in the likes of Headlong Flight and Caravan, where I admittedly like the album versions far more than the original singles...

We have some really earnest, simple heartfelt songs like Halo Effect which is just such a wonderful throwback type song and then THE GARDEN which is an absolute masterpiece, it might be the most emotionally intense song I have ever heard by any band and I have terribly diverse taste in music...

In between we have some brilliant punchy rock songs such as the title track, The Anarchist and BU2B that are really great fresh sounding high energy tracks, very ambient in many respects and so quintessentially Rush.

Some other tracks here haven't grown on me quite as much yet but it's still early. Yet it is still very evident that there is nothing close to a bad track on this album, something I wouldn't say has occurred since Hold Your Fire.

At this stage of their career I am amazed they managed something so sublime, so fresh, so high energy, interlaced by a really interesting concept and still be such fantastic typical Rush!

Very very happy with this album, exceeded all my expectations and I can't wait to see a lot of it live!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 4 2012, 04:16 PM)
I agree. And someone should start a "I hate Clockwork Angels thread" and the same 10 people that keep bringing it up can all bask in their dislike of the album together, while earnestly comparing their notes and giving each other high fives.

Let's not feed an argument. Not everybody has to like the album. Let 'em be.

I'm easily placing Clockwork Angles in my Top Ten Rush Album (of no particular order). I didn't like it much at first, but it clicked after the third listen. It is an album that continues to grow on me the more I hear it. I've already heard it probably 25 times now and I still like it a bit more each time. It is definitely one of their best.

Love this album. This is not the Rush of Hemispheres or MP or even Pow. There is no clearly defined spot in the songs for a jam & alex solo like Freewill or Between The Wheels...these songs are just different. This is modern Rush and, to me, is a masterpiece, a culmination and perfection of the hits and mostly misses of their popish Presto & RTB's, a maturation of the sound and direction of CP - S&A. What is instrumentally the biggest change for me is that, or some reason, Peart plays so aggressively and busily without a hint of the somewhat boring reserve he's been doing since Presto. These songs are right in Geddy's wheelhouse and his bass playing is great and Alex finally plays some solos.

CA is Rush remembering their freaking Rush by joining instrumental prowess with cool lyrics and really memorable melodies.

These albums define the Rush era's to me:

'Spheres - their "prog" peak

MP - you know, ass kicking Rush songs

HYF - the synth singularity

CA - "modern" hard rock Rush.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 4 2012, 01:25 PM)
Count me in. I think it has moved up to #3 all time for me surpassing GUP. It's the consistency of CA that is amazing.

That's it right there.

And when you combine consistency with a full-on concept album, you get greatness. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 4 2012, 12:56 PM)

I told you that I had a feeling about this one, didn't I? tongue.gif

trink39.gif

2.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif NeilFinal.gif 2.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 4 2012, 02:08 PM)
Isn't this like having a I love Madonna's Arse thread on a Madonna forum...

tongue.gif

You would think, but with some of the threads lately filled with so much horse manure, I declare this thread entirely necessarily! yes.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 4 2012, 05:18 PM)

tongue.gif

You would think, but with some of the threads lately filled with so much horse manure, I declare this thread entirely necessarily! yes.gif 1287.gif

Well ok then...

trink39.gif

Gary, a very appropriate thread. You seem to have a lot of respect on this forum and Im thinking had this thread been created by anyone else who has proclaimed their love for CA, they would have been labeled a fanboi and attacked by the few haters and trolls on here by now.

This album shines in its confidence and poise with consistency, I agree. Rush does not have to prove their creative skills through complex musical structures, odd time signatures, and out there concepts, like how they used to. And that should not be the standard by which to judge their creative skills, because that type of music is not something they are aiming for, no matter how bad some fans want it! Those fans need to get over it! They are older, more mature, and create music that they enjoy making at this stage of their career, which they are entitled to do and have earned that right, and that is something Rush fans should feel happy about. Some very few fans think that Rush should create their very own personal fantasy album and anything less is a failure, which is a joke, and it is simply unreasonable to expect them to make anything other than what gives them the most satisfaction musically and emotionally at this stage. Whiners and bitchers can keep whining and bitching about lack of this or that.......doesnt matter to Rush when the majority love their latest creation and when the boys are having such a blast. Trolls, dissenters, and haters are so outnumbered.

You can just tell that this album is very inspired......certainly not perfect or as good as their peak late 70s and early 80s stuff to me, but damn well the best thing they've created in at least 20 years

and truly a career highlight. I can certainly appreciate people having specific issues with details like sound, drumming style, wishing more keys, etc., but to not see ANYTHING positive in this music and to continually put it down is something I cant fathom and really cant tolerate.

So yes, this album truly deserves the love and its own official appreciation thread. The music is melodic, hard hitting, evocative, passionate, driving, well bound, and with incredible chops and skill along with very deep, larger picture lyrics that are often universally accessable and relatable. It is indeed an album worthy of celebration and I really appreciate this thread.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 4 2012, 05:18 PM)

tongue.gif

Yes! Say it!!!! 1287.gif

Never been on a Madonna fan site- but if the tone there were like it is here, then there would be many threads pointing out the flaws, as opposed to the attributes of her derriere.

CA is Fantastic!! Thank you 2.gif !!!! 1022.gif wub.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 4 2012, 03:33 PM)
Gary, a very appropriate thread. You seem to have a lot of respect on this forum and Im thinking had this thread been created by anyone else who has proclaimed their love for CA, they would have been labeled a fanboi and attacked by the few haters and trolls on here by now.

This album shines in its confidence and poise with consistency, I agree. Rush does not have to prove their creative skills through complex musical structures, odd time signatures, and out there concepts, like how they used to. And that should not be the standard by which to judge their creative skills, because that type of music is not something they are aiming for, no matter how bad some fans want it! Those fans need to get over it! They are older, more mature, and create music that they enjoy making at this stage of their career, which they are entitled to do and have earned that right, and that is something Rush fans should feel happy about. Some very few fans think that Rush should create their very own personal fantasy album and anything less is a failure, which is a joke, and it is simply unreasonable to expect them to make anything other than what gives them the most satisfaction musically and emotionally at this stage. Whiners and bitchers can keep whining and bitching about lack of this or that.......doesnt matter to Rush when the majority love their latest creation and when the boys are having such a blast. Trolls, dissenters, and haters are so outnumbered.

You can just tell that this album is very inspired......certainly not perfect or as good as their peak late 70s and early 80s stuff to me, but damn well the best thing they've created in at least 20 years
and truly a career highlight. I can certainly appreciate people having specific issues with details like sound, drumming style, wishing more keys, etc., but to not see ANYTHING positive in this music and to continually put it down is something I cant fathom and really cant tolerate.

So yes, this album truly deserves the love and its own official appreciation thread. The music is melodic, hard hitting, evocative, passionate, driving, well bound, and with incredible chops and skill along with very deep, larger picture lyrics that are often universally accessable and relatable. It is indeed an album worthy of celebration and I really appreciate this thread.

trink39.gif