Rush's best "modern" slow song:

JohnnyBlaze

Which of these "modern" slow songs is KING?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these "modern" slow songs is KING?

• The Pass
    • Bravado
    • Resist
    • The Garden

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 10:21 AM)

Cool poll!

2.gif

I agree. This is the best poll I've seen in a while. 4 powerhouse songs to choose from. As brilliant of a song "The Garden" is...I don't want to be a prisoner of the moment with it. It needs time.

It probably would have been The Garden. But that piano interlude kills it for me. Not because I don't like piano interludes, but because it feels very out of place. The best way I can say how I feel about that part is that it doesn't feel like it falls into the same groove as the rest of the song. Like, and I get that. I think they were in the studio and thought a mellow piano part would be cool there in theory with those lyrics, but the execution just didn't line up with the concept.

In that regard, does anyone know the Dream Theater song "Take Away My Pain"? It was shaping up to be one of my favorite songs ever and then half way through, it completely switches around the groove, and gives this, I don't even know what... to it. It's like a melancholy song up until that part, and then they enter this like... funky inchworm groove... to the whole thing. Double timed, accenting the off beat... it's just like... well that's neat, but it's not what the rest of the song was doing at all guys.

It's the same thing as that. The interlude in The Garden is not a bad piece of music, but in context to everything else, it just feels weird there.

Anyway!

I guess I'll have to go with Bravado.

Songs that should also be on this list imo:

Available Light

Nobody's Hero

Sweet Miracle

The Larger Bowl

Halo Effect

Edited by New World Kid

I dont think THE PASS belongs in this poll.

With those other songs you could add "Mystic Rhythms" or more appropriately, "Ghost of a Chance"

The Pass is my favorite, but it stands alone.

Of the other 3...as much as I am swooning over THE GARDEN, and the song brings tears to my eyes, I'm going with RESIST

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 6 2012, 12:00 PM)

Songs that should also be on this list imo:

Available Light
Nobody's Hero
Sweet Miracle
The Larger Bowl
Halo Effect

goodpost.gif

With Available Light topping my list.

Hardest poll I've ever seen on this forum. I'm gonna have to give it some time. The Garden is unlike anything they have ever done, but Bravado, especially live gives me instant goosebumps. The Pass always cheers me up and let's me know that things will get better whenever I'm down (even though the song is about suicide) And Resist is probably the best song on Test for Echo. I love to drive out on a long county road in the country blasting the song. It's very relaxing.

• Like 1

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 6 2012, 12:00 PM)
It probably would have been The Garden. But that piano interlude kills it for me. Not because I don't like piano interludes, but because it feels very out of place. The best way I can say how I feel about that part is that it doesn't feel like it falls into the same groove as the rest of the song. Like, and I get that. I think they were in the studio and thought a mellow piano part would be cool there in theory with those lyrics, but the execution just didn't line up with the concept.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more strongly with that. ohmy.gif For me, the piano section is the best part of the song and maybe the entire album. wub.gif

And from the piano section through to the end of the song is one of the most sublime things Rush has ever recorded. The strings and synth during this section are just phenomenal. I'm not even sure if it's real strings, synth, a combination of the two, or real strings with some kind of flange/modulation effect, but the orchestration during this ending part is really beautiful.

Anyway, I haven't decided yet but it's definitely The Garden or The Pass.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

Easily The Garden.

The studio version of Resist sucks, the live version is great.

Never cared for Bravado or the Pass

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 12:53 AM)
No way is the Garden better than The Pass...people are too close to the new album to have proper perspective IMO.

While I normally agree with the "new album giddyness" line of thinking, the fact of the matter is that Garden is a better song than the Pass, without question.

QUOTE (A rocket that ignites itself @ Jul 7 2012, 01:08 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 10:21 AM)

Cool poll!

2.gif

I agree. This is the best poll I've seen in a while. 4 powerhouse songs to choose from. As brilliant of a song "The Garden" is...I don't want to be a prisoner of the moment with it. It needs time.

Yeah, this is a cool poll. Whoever thought of it must be a genius! tongue.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jul 7 2012, 01:18 AM)
The Garden is really growing on me, but modern or not, Panecea is the best RUSH ballad ever.

You've got to be kidding. That's where the old familiarity kicks in. People think the old songs are better than they really are. Garden is way better in every sense.

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 7 2012, 06:04 PM)
The Garden is really growing on me, but modern or not, Panecea is the best RUSH ballad ever.

You've got to be kidding. That's where the old familiarity kicks in. People think the old songs are better than they really are. Garden is way better in every sense.

Or maybe he sincerely believes the old songs are better. I wouldn't call that crazy. It's not like he said Rivendell is the greatest Rush song ever.

THE PASS then THE GARDEN Mr Blaze. 2.gif

The Garden.

I like all four. If this poll had come out before CA I would have voted for Resist.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 7 2012, 03:31 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 7 2012, 06:04 PM)

Or maybe he sincerely believes the old songs are better. I wouldn't call that crazy. It's not like he said Rivendell is the greatest Rush song ever.

Exactly. I said that THAT old song is better. And for me it is.

All art is subjective. I love that old song and am going to listen to it right freaking now. It reaches a place in me... what can I say? Is it the greatest rock song ever? Is it Kashmir? No. Does it reach a place in me that no other song does. YES.

That's what art as expression is all about. They got to me with that one. And I love it.

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jul 7 2012, 04:33 AM)
The Garden.

I like all four. If this poll had come out before CA I would have voted for Resist.

Ditto on all accounts.

It was a tough choice for me between The Pass & Bravado... but I just had to go with The Pass. Now if it was Bravado live or The Pass, my vote would be different biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, The Garden. Overrated... big time. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good song, but people are letting modern polish etc. get in the way I think. The Pass and Bravado are from albums a lot of people consider to not have balls, and people just can't seem to get around production.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 7 2012, 04:04 AM)
The Garden is really growing on me, but modern or not, Panacea is the best RUSH ballad ever.

What the hell does"People think the old songs are better than they really are." mean? That is a pretty ignorant statement. Panacea is a great and beautiful song. It sounds more like you are just dismissing it because it is an old song.

For now, it's Bravado. I'll need more than a month to accurately gauge where The Garden falls. However, I do love the track.

=)