Marillion LA and SF June 2012

I was privileged to have attended the last 3 Marillion shows of their 2012 North American tour. June 27-29. Two nights in LA (West Hollywood) at the House of Blues, and one night at the Filmore in SF. It was the absolute best concert experience of my life, and all in all a fabulous time. Marillion can play all their music, I mean PLAY it with minimal computer sequencing and triggers. The guitar player Steve Rothery is the second coming of David Gilmore. He plays his solos "note for note" to almost utter perfection. They sound better today than ever, and their 18th album will be out in Sept. called "Sounds that cannot be made". They record most of their shows and sell them for download for reasonable prices at their website. I'll be getting at least the 3 shows I was at, plus maybe others as they vary the set list from night to night. The two LA shows were completely different set lists except for two songs (Easter and Neverland). The SF show was a mix of the two LA shows, and they played for almost 3 hours with no break. They play their long epic pieces. I heard Ocean Cloud, This Strange Engine, Neverland, Invisible Man, and Happiness is the Road, all 10 min + epics.

It's been almost a week and I still have not come down from the high of those three shows. To top it off, I was able to briefly meet and talk with 4 of the 5 band members. The keyboardist, Mark Kelley, is my life long hero and bald brother. Meeting him I almost lost it. I was freaking out at a high level. Steve R. and Pete T. were hanging in the bar and very fan friendly. I met Mark and Steve H. when I snuck down the hall and found the band's hangout upstairs at HOB. Following are a few photos. I took them with my old blackberry. They are not the best, but the personal shots came out okay. The pic of me and H is just precious to me, and the photo of Me, Mark, and Georgio is also a real treat! (if you don't know Georgio, he is the guy with the wild hair on the History Channel show Ancient Aliens, and apparently he is good friends with Mark). Enjoy

Photos link to Drop Box (I hope this works):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m591veerjmz0b0w/XFtNTEa8zh

Those are great, MH! To say I'm a little jealous would be an understatement. They seem like they'd all be approachable and personable. What a cool experience that must have been. Thanks for sharing. smile.gif