Know Why I Love WTW?

spock

Curious: Even a offhand mention of an interesting song from the greatest band in the galaxy evokes strong ad hominem attacks from the native species. Clearly these people are not ready for warp drive nor should we invite them to join the United Solar Federation of Planets [Editor's note: notice Spock's clever interweaving of the governing body of Star Trek (circa 2161) and that of 2112 (circa 2112) - (kids, don't try this at home!); the non sequitur being necessary to maintain a de minimis association between this nerdfest and TRF...]

Beaming up now...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 10:46 PM)
Great uplifting lyrics with a seriously positive message combined with a damn catchy rock song. Thumbs up! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I don't think "uplifting" is the right word.

It's a song with a sad strength to it about letting go. This song speaks to me and something I just went through- so I really count this as the strongest song on the album lyrically (I am completely biased, though).

It doesn't make me happy (or uplifted) when I hear it, but it does make me nod and remember that I choose to be strong.

I just wish I liked the music better smile.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 5 2012, 07:21 PM)
both the music and the vocals sound like they were out of ideas.  very boring to listen to imo.

yes.gif I sure hope it is left off the set list. I will give it more listens but I consider it my least favorite off the album.

The day I brought the CA disc home, before I had even had a chance to give a listen. I broke open the case and perused the liner notes/lyrics. I knew my 15yr old son had previewed CA earlier and I asked him [flippantly] what his favorite song from the new release was. His instant reply of WTW made me quickly read the preface/song lyric. I held back tears as my human half reflected on being bullied as well as being a bully.

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 3 2012, 06:21 PM)
I've always loved smart lyrics and most Rush songs have more than one "layer" - some universal truth - you know what I mean.

I think I love Wish Them Well because it takes me right back to Something for Nothing and Anthem. Simple ROCK with a straightforward point.

yes.gif

It's also great advice!

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 28 2012, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jul 28 2012, 12:12 AM)
I love this song because it sounds like it's taken right off of Counterparts, especially that sick nasty guitar solo!  1022.gif

What guitar solo?

Open your ears:) The first thing I said about it as well is that the solo section sounds like something off Counterparts.

Perhaps I should post some guitar solos for you guys to enjoy.

Alex breaking from his wall of sound and kind of playing something different for a couple bars is far from a guitar solo. At best, its a mutual jam. Its ok. Its the only part of the song that I like. But its hardly a guitar solo.

Edited by Pound of Obscure

Oh it's a solo, and one of Alex's best on the album. Anyway Wish them Well is probably the most important Song in the Context of the Concept. Here is where Owen Hardy choose to turn the other cheek, forgive those who have wronged him and move on with his life. Its a much deeper song than the music portrays.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif