Geddy's voice on CA...

DBJetsman

Which Geddy voice would sound better on CA?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which Geddy voice would sound better on CA?

• 70s Geddy
    • Present Geddy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 3 2012, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 3 2012, 05:44 PM)
Maybe people would stop bringing you up with regards to Geds voice if you didn't come off as so full of yourself and mean-spirited when criticizing him?

I commend you for finally posting some clips of your own singing - but suffice to say you are not nearly as good as you think you are, and certainly no Geddy Lee. The man can sing circles around you. Sorry.

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

One 19 second YouTube video "proves" that he's as good as Geddy Lee in his prime? Or better? no.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eljJsLYbKjI

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 08:58 PM)
I f**k up some notes in there from worn out vocals, but I can point you to some youtube vids of Geddy on the Hemispheres tour sounding far worse than what I recorded there if you like.

It's never a good sign when a singer (or any musician) spends more time talking about technique and how good they are rather then just letting the craft speak for itself.

I haven't much use for anyone with that big of an ego, regardless of how good they are, but if you talk the talk then at least back it up.

Geddy Lee is a better singer at 58 then this dude could ever hope to be. Why on earth he would prop himself up like this is beyond me.

Pretty big fail, sorry Trenken.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 3 2012, 09:11 PM)
Maybe people would stop bringing you up with regards to Geds voice if you didn't come off as so full of yourself and mean-spirited when criticizing him?

I commend you for finally posting some clips of your own singing - but suffice to say you are not nearly as good as you think you are, and certainly no Geddy Lee. The man can sing circles around you. Sorry.

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

One 19 second YouTube video "proves" that he's as good as Geddy Lee in his prime? Or better? no.gif

I f**k up some notes in there from worn out vocals, but I can point you to some youtube vids of Geddy on the Hemispheres tour sounding far worse than what I recorded there if you like.

It's never a good sign when a singer (or any musician) spends more time talking about technique and how good they are rather then just letting the craft speak for itself.

I haven't much use for anyone with that big of an ego, regardless of how good they are, but if you talk the talk then at least back it up.

Geddy Lee is a better singer at 58 then this dude could ever hope to be. Why on earth he would prop himself up like this is beyond me.

He's hitting the notes.....like he said he could

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 07:17 PM)
I actually think Trenken's audio clip sounds pretty good.

For all of the endless, meanspiritied criticism thrown at Geddy by someone who claimed an almost authorative opinion based on his own skill level, this is an embarressing fail - and I'm not even trying to be mean. I was kind of hoping to be wowed by his ability.

I feel bad for having gone off the deep end here lately and making some crude comments, so I will again say that Trenken is a really good graphic artist. There is a link to his work on his profile. His work is a bit cold (which speaks to his obsession with technical proficiancy over warmth) but very solid. He has a great eye.

Geddy Lee is a better singer now, today - at 58 years old - then Trenken will ever be in his entire lifetime. By a f***ing mile.

I am floored by his arrogance on the matter.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 3 2012, 10:13 PM)

Big deal? He's not hitting it in any way that I would brag about incessantly.

Even if he was, it wouldn't justify him dismissing Geddy Lee as a washed up old man who can't sing.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 3 2012, 10:26 PM)
I actually think Trenken's audio clip sounds pretty good.

For all of the endless, meanspiritied criticism thrown at Geddy by someone who claimed an almost authorative opinion based on his own skill level, this is an embarressing fail - and I'm not even trying to be mean. I was kind of hoping to be wowed by his ability.

I feel bad for having gone off the deep end here lately and making some crude comments, so I will again say that Trenken is a really good graphic artist. There is a link to his work on his profile. His work is a bit cold (which speaks to his obsession with technical proficiancy over warmth) but very solid. He has a great eye.

Geddy Lee is a better singer now, today - at 58 years old - then Trenken will ever be in his entire lifetime. By a f***ing mile.

I am floored by his arrogance on the matter.

Trenken has always shown big time arrogance and narcissism on here in various forms, but yeah, this is the height. He truly made an ass out of himself with such lofty claims combined with his uncalled for harshness towards Ged's voice. Pretty shameless.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 3 2012, 10:31 PM)

Big deal? He's not hitting it in any way that I would brag about incessantly.

Even if he was, it wouldn't justify him dismissing Geddy Lee as a washed up old man who can't sing.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

Uh.....not like he's claiming.....no.....

I said present-day Geddy.

Actually the cool thing about hearing these CA songs is that they'll sound just like the album, vocal-wise (as compared to something like hearing Bastille Day again and the voice would be very far off).

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 4 2012, 06:30 AM)

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

Uh.....not like he's claiming.....no.....

Oh Christ, look I 100% know I suck at singing too but that Hemispheres cover just isn't very good at all. ohmy.gif

I agree the songs are for a now Geddy. The only reason for my vote on a 70's Ged is that he would have his full younger range. Would it make it better?? Maybe but it is what he has now and is just fine. 58 and still being at that level is good in my book.

Man we do beat the band up alot here of late... WTF?? I know I will enjoy my time seeing them in Sept.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 3 2012, 04:52 PM)
Still pissed I can sing old Rush

I heard your clip and it sounded like a bag of ASS. Express you opinion of Geddy's voice all you want but get off your high horse and stop considering yourself a vocal expert just because you were brave / delusional to record yourself.

These songs are written for Geddy Lee to sing in 2012.

Although, Seven Cities would probably sound substantially better if sang by 70's Geddy.

As for Trenken, I wouldn't quit my day job if I was you. No offense intended of course. It takes serious balls to put your own singing out there like that, especially with a difficult song like Hemispheres, so major props to you for that. It wasn't bad either. It just wasn't that great. Although, in your defense, it would probably sound a lot better with the music behind it too.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jul 4 2012, 08:37 AM)

Although, Seven Cities would probably sound substantially better if sang by 70's Geddy.

As for Trenken, I wouldn't quit my day job if I was you. No offense intended of course. It takes serious balls to put your own singing out there like that, especially with a difficult song like Hemispheres, so major props to you for that. It wasn't bad either. It just wasn't that great. Although, in your defense, it would probably sound a lot better with the music behind it too.

I disagree, it takes serious stupidity and an ego too big to fit through a door, to make a jack ass out of yourself like that. Remember to open mouth insert foot. rofl3.gif

Edited by canadianice

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jul 4 2012, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jul 4 2012, 08:37 AM)

I disagree, it takes serios stupidity and an ego too big to fit through a door, I will give him this, he complety made a jack ass of himself, but he is arrogant, i am sure he will be back. Open mouth insert foot. rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jul 3 2012, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 3 2012, 03:56 PM)

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

I actually think Trenken's audio clip sounds pretty good. I do think, however, that there's a SIGNIFICANT distinction between being able to duplicate something, and being able to come up with something as good on your own. It's like the guitar players that can perfectly duplicate Hendrix. It's impressive, but a million miles away from being able to come up with that level of creativity and innovation themselves. It's the difference between being Geddy Lee and being the singer in a Rush tribute band.

Regardless of all that, what I really don't get is the whole "only those who are as artistically creative as whomever someone is reviewing are qualified to review or criticize" argument, as if those people's opinions are more valid than anyone elses. Most of the best reviewers and critics are NOT great musicians or filmmakers. Saying that they aren't qualified to give a valid review because they're not as much of a world class musician or filmmaker as what their reviewing seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Would you rather read a Roger Ebert review of a movie, or one by Martin Scorsese, or a few individuals on the Internet Movie Database? I'd personally rather read all three because everyone's opinion is valid and unique. I'd actually personally read whomever could give a balanced, well-written and easy to read review, and I'd especially like someone who I often agree with as they're the one most likely to give a review I can relate to - and that could be ANYONE. Just because Roger Ebert and Martin Scorsese are more knowledgeable about film than "random internet guy" doesn't mean I'm going to agree with them over anyone else.

It was an Epic Fail. All he was trying to do do was imitate him, and it sucked goat balls. rofl3.gif

Well I thought it was better than that, obviously, but regardless, my points still stand. Even if he could sing BETTER than Geddy, it still doesn't qualify him to judge Geddy or the band any more than anyone else.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 4 2012, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jul 3 2012, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 3 2012, 03:56 PM)

goodpost.gif

Yeah, some ego. eh.gif

I actually think Trenken's audio clip sounds pretty good. I do think, however, that there's a SIGNIFICANT distinction between being able to duplicate something, and being able to come up with something as good on your own. It's like the guitar players that can perfectly duplicate Hendrix. It's impressive, but a million miles away from being able to come up with that level of creativity and innovation themselves. It's the difference between being Geddy Lee and being the singer in a Rush tribute band.

Regardless of all that, what I really don't get is the whole "only those who are as artistically creative as whomever someone is reviewing are qualified to review or criticize" argument, as if those people's opinions are more valid than anyone elses. Most of the best reviewers and critics are NOT great musicians or filmmakers. Saying that they aren't qualified to give a valid review because they're not as much of a world class musician or filmmaker as what their reviewing seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Would you rather read a Roger Ebert review of a movie, or one by Martin Scorsese, or a few individuals on the Internet Movie Database? I'd personally rather read all three because everyone's opinion is valid and unique. I'd actually personally read whomever could give a balanced, well-written and easy to read review, and I'd especially like someone who I often agree with as they're the one most likely to give a review I can relate to - and that could be ANYONE. Just because Roger Ebert and Martin Scorsese are more knowledgeable about film than "random internet guy" doesn't mean I'm going to agree with them over anyone else.

It was an Epic Fail. All he was trying to do do was imitate him, and it sucked goat balls. rofl3.gif

Well I thought it was better than that, obviously, but regardless, my points still stand. Even if he could sing BETTER than Geddy, it still doesn't qualify him to judge Geddy or the band any more than anyone else.

He only judges himself, and considers himself vastly superior to us mere mortals rofl3.gif

I agree with so many of the comments already posted....Geddy has a good, unique voice for what they did in the 70 although I do find it, harsh, shrill, and shreiking at times, but he was young and it fit what they were doing.

In the 80's as he aged it mellowed a bit and it worked well for that peoriod and the same can be said for the 90's.

Now I think his voice is better than ever. Sure he's never gonna have the pipes like he had 30 or 40 years ago and that stuff will be hard for him to reproduce live. His voice today seems so much more mature and aged in a good way, like wine, more melodic and he is singing, not shrieking. I'm sure he pushed himself on a few songs off of CA and he might struggle a little live to get up there, but overall I think for what they've done with CA his singing is pefect.

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Jul 4 2012, 11:33 AM)
I would love to hear trenken sing some Clockwork Angels tunes. Then we could see for ourselves how 70's Geddy would sound singing the new tunes.

Maybe he will bless us with rendition of God Bless America confused13.gif

Give me 70's Ged singing about anger and war and robots, etc

Give me a Mature Ged singing about love and carnivals and snakes...etc

...A little bit of the topic, Happy birthday America! To quote the great Hacksaw Jim Duggan...USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!

HOOOOOOOOOO!! 1287.gif