Listened The Wall for the first time...

Akron162

Listen to Luther Wright and the Wrongs version called "Rebuild the Wall".

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 4 2012, 02:01 PM)
I love The Wall

- Musically, It's not their best there are many musically better albums...though the album is very good musically, just far from their best...plus it was hardly a "Floyd" effort, as Much as I love Waters, he was an asshole, power-hungry douche bag back then.. I still consider it a "Floyd" album, especially when you compare it to "The Final Cut" (which I don't consider a Floyd album) but you can tell that the other guys had very little creative influence on the record..

- Writing wise, It is one of the best albums ever.. once again despite being dominated by Waters, he created a masterpiece, the album is very well illustrative and engrossing... the story while depressing is enthralling.. and seeing it played live (with full production of course)is a life changing experience.

- David Gilmour's guitar solo in "Comfortably Numb"....nuff said.

GREAT post. Agree with you 100% on all accounts.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 4 2012, 10:01 AM)
I'd rather listen to Animals, Wish You Were Here, and Dark Side of the Moon but The Wall is a great album.

yes.gif

I compare it this way: I'd rather listen to Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures but A Farewell to Kings is a great album. trink38.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jul 3 2012, 07:46 PM)
Heard it for the first time when I was 12 back in '79, and I still love it. I guess you had to be there.

This is just what I was thinking, though I was 10 or 11 when I heard it back in 80 or 81.

I love The Wall, but it's an incredibly pretentious circle-jerk about Roger Waters' own emotional problems. Sometimes I can hardly get through the first two sides without feeling somewhat embarrassed of listening to it, and I love Pink Floyd!

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jul 7 2012, 01:04 PM)
I love The Wall, but it's an incredibly pretentious circle-jerk about Roger Waters' own emotional problems. Sometimes I can hardly get through the first two sides without feeling somewhat embarrassed of listening to it, and I love Pink Floyd!

When I read a biography of Pink Floyd, one thing that came out very clearly was Waters pushing to be more emotional and genuine. He didn't want to "write songs about outer space" anymore. He wanted to address the human condition.

Whatever your opinion, he certainly did that on The Wall.

I applaud his courage, laying himself bare like that. I think it was a pretty brutal, thinly-veiled self-assessment. He basically admitted he was a miserable prick.

I never heard the wall until 2 years ago. The first time I heard it, I was blown away. I never heard the songs "Mother", "Little Black Book", and "Comfortably Numb". It was so awesome to discover those songs, while I was driving in the car listening to the cd. From then on I always thought "The Wall" was the best double album, that was until I heard The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. That to me is the bestDouble Album.

QUOTE (BigBob @ Jul 9 2012, 08:31 PM)
I never heard the wall until 2 years ago. The first time I heard it, I was blown away. I never heard the songs "Mother", "Little Black Book", and "Comfortably Numb". It was so awesome to discover those songs, while I was driving in the car listening to the cd. From then on I always thought "The Wall" was the best double album, that was until I heard The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. That to me is the bestDouble Album.

That's what I felt too, until I heard Aerial

wub.gif

It's not something I go to very much - hardly ever, actually - but I still think it holds up as "a masterpiece."

There's a depth to it which is best appreciated by a certain type of personality - perhaps the sort of person who's prone to reflection. As with all the greatest Pink Floyd albums, it's a fully realized work of art with a Proustian "remembrance of things past" vibe to it, aided by the softer, acoustic and orchestral elements. It's classic. It covers an entire life cycle, and the parts I didn't like in my teens and twenties (Vera, Bring the Boys Back Home, etc.) are now, in my mature years, when history, memory, and time have become more important to me, the parts I like most.

That's right. You have to have a certain kind of personality and be in the right mood. I heard it for the first time a few months ago the songs that you would hear on the radio were of course the ones that stuck with me at first. When I went back to listen I didn't want to skip songs because I knew it was meant to be listened to in full. Eventually some of the other songs, the ones that are more "out there" began to pull me in and I think I could only fully enjoy the album after about 8 listens and a couple months.

In response to those claim it's self-pitying and whiny - I think you're missing the point. It's certainly no more than something like Lennon's Plastic Ono Band. The reason Waters wrote it in the first place was his frustration with the lack of communication with the audience at massive stadium shows and his feeling that the importance of the music was instead being reduced and overwhelmed by the machinery of the music business to sheer numbers and greed - which is pretty admirable, I think. The extent to which it's supposed to be all about Waters is overstated a bit. He included a lot of his own observations of others in it as well about how easy it was with all the adulation and hero worship so prevalent in the 70s that one could easily lose touch with reality and severely hamper relationships with the people closest to you. One shouldn't be disqualified from digging into themselves because they're rich and famous. That's all the story is doing. It's describing someone who can't connect with the people around him and trying to figure out why in a highly imaginative and compelling way.

Musically it's not my favorite Floyd by a long shot but I do find it to pretty flawless and amazing. I find it hard to believe anybody could prefer The Final Cut to this.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 13 2012, 12:11 AM)
In response to those claim it's self-pitying and whiny - I think you're missing the point. It's certainly no more than something like Lennon's Plastic Ono Band. The reason Waters wrote it in the first place was his frustration with the lack of communication with the audience at massive stadium shows and his feeling that the importance of the music was instead being reduced and overwhelmed by the machinery of the music business to sheer numbers and greed - which is pretty admirable, I think. The extent to which it's supposed to be all about Waters is overstated a bit. He included a lot of his own observations of others in it as well about how easy it was with all the adulation and hero worship so prevalent in the 70s that one could easily lose touch with reality and severely hamper relationships with the people closest to you. One shouldn't be disqualified from digging into themselves because they're rich and famous. That's all the story is doing. It's describing someone who can't connect with the people around him and trying to figure out why in a highly imaginative and compelling way.

Musically it's not my favorite Floyd by a long shot but I do find it to pretty flawless and amazing. I find it hard to believe anybody could prefer The Final Cut to this.

Yeah ...I believe some of the drug stuff is inspired by Syd, Roger said that it would have been to personal to have everything be about him.