What about Seven Cities of Gold...

vital signz

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, I never really bother to hate my fave band's songs; this song is unreal!!!

Are you haters nuts?

Madrigal?

But ya, I am stoked there are defenders...

"I call it the raiders of the lost ark face melter!!!!" YES

This is 66 minutes of RUSH unlike any other. Twilight Zone, Vital Signs, Entre Nous, High Water; they only contribute to the measure of Clockwork Angels. Perfect score like Shaun White in the halfpipe; %100.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 14 2012, 03:26 AM)
Another heavy metal RUSH classic!

1022.gif

sounds like it could have come from a zep or sabbath song, the riff is just mean and nasty , in a good way, and ged nails it 100%, rush growing some balls, cant wait till hear this live. 1022.gif this and hf being metal

One of my favorites as well.

Don't know if this has been discussed yet or not, but its clearly about Neils motorcycle ride back in the 90s after his wife and daughter died.

Its obvious. The verses and bridges point to it. "A man could lose himself in a country like this". All about going where ever you want to go, because theres no place to go. Exactly what Neil was experiencing back then.

My favorite line is definitely "The gleam in the distance could be heavens gate....a long awaited treasure at the end of my cruel fate."

It's just so 2.gif

Edited by GuitarPlyr01

I love the song but I just like some songs better like The Wreckers and The Garden probably because they are easier to understand to me. Here's my ranking:#1- The Wreckers and the Garden #2- Clockwork Angels and Seven Cities of Gold #3- Everything else.

To tell you the truth other than the title track this is the song that has grown and given me the most satisfaction listening to it. There is so much grest musicianship in this song that its fun to listen too. Geddy shines! He's just a madman on the bass on this one. As is Neil and Alex keep right up with him too. I love this song. I would be seriously pissed if they skip this one live. I can't get enough of the beginning and break. Its simply brilliant!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 31 2012, 06:43 PM)
To tell you the truth other than the title track this is the song that has grown and given me the most satisfaction listening to it. There is so much grest musicianship in this song that its fun to listen too. Geddy shines! He's just a madman on the bass on this one. As is Neil and Alex keep right up with him too. I love this song. I would be seriously pissed if they skip this one live. I can't get enough of the beginning and break. Its simply brilliant!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

One of the really neat things about this album is the concentration of great songs. This really is a bass spotlight kind of song. The guitar solo is amazing...almost acid rock in its feel.

2.gif 1287.gif

yeah this is a strange track for me, got everything it takes to be a great rockin rush classic, and the zep riff a really interesting play, when i listen to seven cities everything's there including ged's voice which sounds brilliant but..... i get bored with it really easy, enough so that i never think about singling it out for a play

four truly great works of rush genius on this album, caravan, Bu2b, CA and the garden

all the rest like seven cities fall just short of this category, shame though coz that track in particular should be genius, just missing a very tiny bit of extra magic

Edited by lifeson90

I love it and it is in the exact right place on the album. Geddy's vocals just wail on the "barren and trackless" sections. Musically it is a throwback and that is a good thing. I would absolutely love to see them open the show with this song.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 1 2012, 11:34 AM)
I have been monitoring folks' favorites and least favorites here...

Lots of folks are placing it in their bottom tier. That is mind-blowing to me. This song has such a cool intro, huge build-up, then KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM, KA-BLAM..........

Geddy hits high notes of old. His bass has an incredible sound.

Alex plays some great riffs and has some awesome tremolo work, and has a nice emotive solo.

Neil, well is Neil.

Is it the lyric, the music, the theme?
What turns people off?

laugh.gif love your enthusiasm.

I find it to be a very good song amongst some great songs, which makes it difficult to compete for a top spot.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Aug 7 2012, 09:10 AM)
Yep.  Just keep loving this song for it's extra heaping helping of badassery!

For like the umpteenth time I'll say it again...SCOG is a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" face melter of a song.

ALex's solo is the shit. The outro of the solo is caucophonus bliss

2.gif

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 19 2012, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 19 2012, 08:29 PM)
Repetitive and the vocals give me a headache.

Mick

just like the wreckers.

Not at all like the Wreckers. The vocals on 7COG are shrieking, but Geddy can't do the good shrieks like he once did. It sounds like the live Time Machine Tour songs where Geddy had lost his voice. Wreckers is a song in a place where Geddy's vocals can really shine and he actually has some melody on it. You can dislike the Wreckers because it is too poppy, but criticizing the vocals seems strange to me.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Aug 7 2012, 10:10 AM)
Yep. Just keep loving this song for it's extra heaping helping of badassery!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/cool.gif

One of the better songs IMO. Some kick ass bass lines.

I haven't read through all the replies in this thread, but I predicted that if there's another single off this album, this would be one of them. Hubby thinks it would be the title track.

I have so many faves off this album, but I'm always turning this one up when it comes on.

Lately, this song has been getting more and more fantastic for me. I liked it out of the box, I *love* it now! Better with every play.

"oh, that gleam in the distance could be heaven's gate"

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 12 2012, 07:25 AM)
Bottom tier, next to Wish Them Well

Is that where you place your Working Garb, Bottom tier next to Pissing Well?

tongue.gif

Edited by losingit2k