What about Seven Cities of Gold...

vital signz

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 03:46 PM)
The main riff is a bad to the mother f***ing bone full on 70's classic Rush assault.

I love the keyboard chords during the pre-chorus.

And I really love the lyrics on this tune.

"Glitter in the sun like a revelation" Distant as a comet or a constellation".

Fricking bas ass!

This song is going to cook and melt peoples faces on the tour.

goodpost.gif

I don't get the hate. I think its a great moody song.

What a great question - because I like it every time I hear it, but I think it gets washed out in the mix among so many great songs. The only song I skip is BU2B2 (not because IT'S bad, but I'm usually impatient for WTW!). CA reminds me of VT in this sense: I didn't really appreciate VT for a very long time. There were SO many songs (good songs) packed into that album that I felt like I couldn't get my head around all of them. MP had 7 songs! CA has 12 - and, for me at least 11 of them are equally good so when I have to rank them, there's only a 1/1000 of a decimal between the best and the least best.

That's my take anyway!

Definitely top three song, everytime i listen i like it more. fookin awesome!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 02:46 PM)
The main riff is a bad to the mother f***ing bone full on 70's classic Rush assault.

Fricking bas ass!

70's Rush. What? Are we talking about the same song??

>>70's Rush. What? Are we talking about the same song??

Yes. Seven Cities is kind of like What You're Doing 2012, IMO. 1022.gif

For those who "don't get it" yet, you have to be in the mindset of sludgy 70's blues rock, like Rush's debut or maybe Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti. 1022.gif

Alex's leadwork and riffing is so sweet on Seven Cities, I'm really at a loss to see how fans of old Rush don't appreciate it. confused13.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

As of 7/2

1. The Anarchist

2. Caravan

3. Clockwork Angels

4. Carnies

5. Halo Effect

6. Bu2b

7. The Wreckers

8. The Garden

9. Bu2b2/Wish Them Well

10. Seven Cities of Gold

11. Headlong Flight

I don't know why I rank Seven Cities of Gold so low. It's a good song, hell it's a really good song, but there is so much great stuff on this album that being "really good song" just doesn't cut it.

Also I'm surprised by how low The Wreckers is now ranking for me. It almost made me cry the first time I heard it, but I think that it's impact has diminished substantially.

Also, Headlong Flight is probably always going to be at the bottom for me. It just seems so unremarkable compared to the others. Still good though.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 2 2012, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2012, 02:46 PM)

Fricking bas ass!

70's Rush. What? Are we talking about the same song??

>>70's Rush. What? Are we talking about the same song??

Yes. Seven Cities is kind of like What You're Doing 2012, IMO. 1022.gif

For those who "don't get it" yet, you have to be in the mindset of sludgy 70's blues rock, like Rush's debut or maybe Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti. 1022.gif

Alex's leadwork and riffing is so sweet on Seven Cities, I'm really at a loss to see how fans of old Rush don't appreciate it. confused13.gif

I agree. It actually reminds me of parts of Xanadu. The lack of love puzzles the f**k out of me. I thought for sure old Rush good, new Rush bad folks would love this song. confused13.gif

No idea. It kicks ass!

There ARE no bottom songs for me on this album. They are all great, IMO! yes.gif

I don't think it's that so many are turned off. SOMETHING has to be bottom tier. Even on Moving Pictures, there is a least. The key is not jumping to the conclusion that least means BAD on an otherwise great album. Those aren't the same things.

I think 7 Cities suffers being surrounded by a lot of great songs, which is a good problem to have. It's a strong song, but not as dynamic as some others. Least or bottom tier on CA is better than some Rush album's top tiers.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 6 2012, 07:29 AM)
I don't think it's that so many are turned off. SOMETHING has to be bottom tier. Even on Moving Pictures, there is a least. The key is not jumping to the conclusion that least means BAD on an otherwise great album. Those aren't the same things.

I think 7 Cities suffers being surrounded by a lot of great songs, which is a good problem to have. It's a strong song, but not as dynamic as some others. Least or bottom tier on CA is better than some Rush album's top tiers.

Stop making sense. laugh.gif

Actually though, I am still not liking it. I think the chorus bugs me most. I have no idea why.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 6 2012, 09:16 AM)
It's because it's turbo lame. The way he says SEVEN CITIES OF GOLLLLLD. It's just cheesy as hell and uninspiring. A talentless old man humming random bullshit to himself could write that song.

http://www.brandwatch.com/wp-content/uploads/brandwatch/troll.jpg

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 6 2012, 08:16 AM)
It's because it's turbo lame. The way he says SEVEN CITIES OF GOLLLLLD. It's just cheesy as hell and uninspiring. A talentless old man humming random bullshit to himself could write that song.

nobody said it was easy singing neils lyrics. sounds fine and not everything can sound like a geoff tate delivery. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jul 6 2012, 09:48 AM)
I agree, the chorus is boring and repetitive and keeps this from being one of the top songs on the album. The rest of the song is pretty good!

Listening again now. It starts out really promising too. There are some really good things going on, the middle spacey part is pretty cool. Ged's vox are what hurts it most with me, because to me he sounds like he is struggling in parts when he sings higher. I am noticing the main riff gets a bit repetitive too. It could be much cooler in double time or with a funkier feel.

It's a solid tune, just not my favorite. I love the beginning. The rest of the song is good too, but it's hard to hear the individual instruments - kind of a wall of sound and a bit overwelming. Kind of drowns everything out. Not really a major complaint. For me, it just makes it a "good" song instead of a "great" song.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jul 6 2012, 07:48 AM)
I agree, the chorus is boring and repetitive and keeps this from being one of the top songs on the album. The rest of the song is pretty good!

I think the Choruses are much better than the verses. Geddy is struggling in the verses, and almost ruins it for me.

The middle break, the drum fills and the riff during the chorus are 70s tastic!