The Garden - thank you

dtpoet

4 months ago, it was discovered that one of my brothers had cancer. More troubling was learning that it had already spread from its origin. Since then, it early on became a matter of trying to control. Curing it wasn't an option.

Knowing the story behind "Clockwork Angels" and then learning that the final song was entitled "The Garden", I figured that song was going to be special - for me personally anyway. I wasn't sure how or in what way, but I did anticipate that when the time came, it would help me in the mourning process.

Prior to June 12, when "the leak" came out, despite my best efforts, I failed in my attempt to listen to the album from beginning to end. I gravitated directly to song #12. Again and again. When I first heard the piano - well - I felt my heart skip a beat, my stomach tighten, tears forming.

My routine in June became leaving work and then heading to the nursing home or vice versa. Rick was slowly leaving us. At times his thoughts were clear. Towards the end, they became random, recalling his life's events through a series of delusions and wakeful dreams. Mostly, he slept, but even then you could see a lifetime struggling its way through to some peaceful resolution.

When I drove to or from the nursing home, the first song I would usually play was The Garden. Once was usually enough to help with my perspective. Occasionally, especially on a bad day, twice was necessary. There is something about the lyrics and the way Geddy gracefully sings them. Something about the melody that is soothing. The acoustic chords. I'd even find myself lost in the drum pattern from time to time. Then of course, that damn piano - so eloquent.

On Friday morning, June 29th, around 8am, my brother passed. Since then, I have maybe listened to the song once. Puzzled, I stopped to think this morning about why only once. It didn't take long for me to discover the answer. You see, the song I thought was going to help me mourn after Rick passed - well - it had already helped me in that process on those everyday rides to see him these past weeks.

Thank you Geddy and Alex for such a beautiful melody. Thank you Neil for such poignant words.

"In the fullness of time, a garden to nurture and protect"

So sorry about your loss. Im glad the song helped sooth your pain. My sincere condolences.

The very few trolls who post hateful words about this song should read the OP and understand that no matter how much you dislike, poke fun, or hate any song, for someone else out there, that song may be very valuable and making a positive difference.

If even only ONE person is touched by a song and helps him or her feel better, then that song is a true success IMO, no matter what anyone else says or thinks. Such is the power of music and lyrics.

Take care and heal well.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

I know what you mean dtpoet... I always got a positive vibe listening to that song, and it's a kind of song that get to the essence of what is living on this planet. rose.gif

clearly your brother must've been a person who cared for others. May his memories always be with you! rose.gif

I too am quite moved by this song and its meaning

Many condolences to you and your family, my friend. He sounded like a very special person. And it is a very special thing that this song will carry with you all the memories of you and your brother. This song, for some reason, also hits me pretty hard in the heart. It's a gorgeous song.

Any who, your brother is in a much better place now, looking over you! And will always be with you till the end.

Always take The Garden with you as a remembrance that your brother is with you, always.

smile.gif

What a beautiful post dtpoet and my heartfelt condolences for your brother. I know exactly what you mean when that piano part kicks in and geddy sings with such emotion. when I first heard this song and it came to the piano part I had just discovered my much loved 19 year old cat had passed earlier in the night and I had to wrap her in a blanket for my partner to take to the vet later that day. That piano part brought sobs as I said my goodbyes and went off to work. This will always now be her song.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 1 2012, 11:44 AM)
So sorry about your loss.  Im glad the song helped sooth your pain.  My sincere condolences.

The very few trolls who post hateful words about this song should read the OP and understand that no matter how much you dislike, poke fun, or hate any song, for someone else out there, that song may be very valuable and making a positive difference.

If even only ONE person is touched by a song and helps him or her feel better, then that song is a true success IMO, no matter what anyone else says or thinks.  Such is the power of music and lyrics.

Take care and heal well.

This is such a great point. When I was younger I was very willing to label music as "good" or "bad" and to be vociferous in my denunciation of bands and songs that I didn't like. Now I have come to understand and respect the total subjectivity of all judgments of the worth of a piece of music. A song that I think it absolute and utter rubbish might mean a great deal to someone else, and I've learned how pronouncing hateful judgments on a song can sometimes be as painful and upsetting to people as insulting them personally. This is why if I'm going to express negative opinions about music I usually try to confine them to brief remarks about why such-and-such a song or band is not to my personal tastes rather than making hateful pronouncements like "That sucks and only idiots like it," and why I seldom bother to discuss music I don't like. I would much rather discuss/dissect/analyse/celebrate/trainspot the music that I love and allow others to do the same.

The original post in this thread is a perfect illustration of the how the power and value of music transcends the judgments of an individual's tastes. You can hate a song all you want, but I believe that one should be aware and compassionate in the way one chooses to express their feelings about something that might mean everything to someone else.

Edited by GeddysMullet

Rush songs continually touch me emotionally in a way that few other bands can. I know what you're saying about The Garden, it's a very special piece of music. I'm so glad it was able to help you at such a trying time. My condolences for your brother dtpoet, I hope you find peace soon.

QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 2 2012, 07:32 AM)
My sympathies to you and your family on your loss. rose.gif What a moving story. Thank you for sharing, and Welcome here!

yes.gif

Brave of you to share that here, dtpoet. So many of us have similar stories regarding RUSH's ability to sooth us during life's more difficult moments. One reason I love being a RUSH fan and part of this special family.

Condolences and love. rose.gif

Hang in there, fight the good fight and find something that makes you laugh out loud at least once a day.

My sincerest condolences for you and your family rose.gif I'm glad that The Garden was such a comfort for you.

My very deepest condolences. I am so sorry.

I have been orphaned for the past 25 months. It is horrible to lose anyone you love.

I know exactly what you mean about The Garden, the way Geddy sings the lyrics and the piano. Alex's guitar solo. One night while listening to it and reading the lyrics and thinking about the brevity and preciousness of life and the finality of death, I lost it. fists crying.gif

It is indescribable what music can do to us. 2.gif

dtpoet my deepest condolences. this song has helped me to deal with the loss of family and friends, some of them gone for many years now and some who've left us recently. to hear how it helped you to deal with the coming passing of your brother is quite inspirational and your writing is magnificent. thank you so much for sharing your story and peace be with you and yours.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 1 2012, 08:44 AM)

If even only ONE person is touched by a song and helps him or her feel better, then that song is a true success IMO, no matter what anyone else says or thinks. Such is the power of music and lyrics.

^^ This x a million!

Some people, I've noticed, seem to delight in tearing things down. Maybe they are just grumpy or maybe they really have no soul. To them, a song like The Garden is just fodder for their shredding. I feel sorry for them but wish them well.

The Garden is a deep song to those who understand it in their hearts. It distills the meaning of life, IMO, into 7 minutes of profound beauty.

My sincere condolences go out to the OP. You are not the only one to have found solace in the music of Rush. I am glad that you did and that it helped you. Peace and Blessed Be. rose.gif

so very sorry for your loss.I lost a great friend a few years,ago,as well as my father.Music can be therapy for your soul.it can be sacred to us.

you will listen to the garden years from now,and it will still move you.

take care,peace.