The Wreckers is the most skippable track on CA.

Alchemical

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 10 2012, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jul 4 2012, 01:47 PM)

I predict that once this tune get's radio play, it will be huge.

i highly doubt it.

yeah, as if... laugh.gif

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jul 14 2012, 06:27 PM)
the chorus on this song, both the words themselves and the way Geddy sings them and the repetition, is really annoying  062802puke_prv.gif

I agree. Was just thinking that today. Annoying is a good word. Can't say that very often about a Rush song...The Wrecker's chorus stays in my head, but not in a good way

IMO Rush being catchy or trying to write hooks never works.

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

no.gif

completely NOT skippable for me. It's a song packed with feeling and power for me biggrin.gif

I took a two week hiatus on CA, and am just listening to it again tonight.

The Wreckers holds up for me, and I think it will hold up for a long time. Sorry that it doesn't work for you dude!

More and more I'm feeling sorry for the cynical folk that can't appreciate this material! Call me a sap, but I'm loving this shit!!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jul 15 2012, 08:06 PM)

The Wreckers holds up for me, and I think it will hold up for a long time. Sorry that it doesn't work for you dude!

More and more I'm feeling sorry for the cynical folk that can't appreciate this material! Call me a sap, but I'm loving this shit!!!

trink39.gif

Ah alright, not loving The Wreckers automatically makes one "cynical." Good to know! 653.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 15 2012, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jul 15 2012, 08:06 PM)

trink39.gif

Ah alright, not loving The Wreckers automatically makes one "cynical." Good to know! 653.gif

YES! You got my point exactly!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jul 15 2012, 06:06 PM)

trink39.gif

laugh.gif Touche'!

Well, some people just aren't happy unless they are tearing something down. confused13.gif

Not my favorite,on the cd...but its growing on me.chorus sounds like an

80's rock ballad...i wish they would have let Alex go off on the end,and

let us all hear that!! maybe if they do it live,he will play an extended solo

at the end kinda like he did with "mission" years back.

I love The Wreckers, but have to admit I'm not a big fan of the wary/contrary thing. tongue.gif

And I think chorus could have been more effective if they reworked it to remove the "All I know is that" parts. Maybe even if Geddy paused here and just didn't sing the "All I know" parts.

sometimes you have to be wary

Of a miracle too good to be true

sometimes the truth is contrary

Everything in life you thought you knew

'Cause sometimes the target is you

Initially, The wreckers was hard to get into because of the opening guitars...just didn't seem to click with the serious nature of the song. Now I just love the song for what it is and enjoying it more with every listen. The strings are such an acheivment. There are many dimensions of greatness from this effort. It will fascinate us for a long time.

Nope, don't skip it!

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 16 2012, 01:55 PM)
I love The Wreckers, but have to admit I'm not a big fan of the wary/contrary thing. tongue.gif 

And I think chorus could have been more effective if they reworked it to remove the "All I know is that" parts.  Maybe even if Geddy paused here and just didn't sing the "All I know" parts. 

Of a miracle too good to be true
sometimes the truth is contrary
Everything in life you thought you knew
'Cause sometimes the target is you

not bad, not bad at all. biggrin.gif

can you replace the contrary with something else? tongue.gif i like bird watching, maybe you can somehow work canary in there? biggrin.gif

the song drags.....

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 30 2012, 11:59 PM)
It's not bad per se, but I'm certainly not big on it musically or lyrically. But I'm still at a point where I'm not skipping anything (except the utterly pointless BU2B2).

BU2B2 is not pointless with respect to the character arc NP is creating.

He moves the character from one belief system to a place of dismay and confusion, then finally to forgiveness (Wish Them Well) and introspection and content with both chaos and order (The Garden).

I don't know why he never wrote fiction.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jul 19 2012, 10:15 AM)
It's not bad per se, but I'm certainly not big on it musically or lyrically. But I'm still at a point where I'm not skipping anything (except the utterly pointless BU2B2).

He moves the character from one belief system to a place of dismay and confusion, then finally to forgiveness (Wish Them Well) and introspection and content with both chaos and order (The Garden).

I don't get it...one of the things I love about the album is the cool small stuff. BU2B2 really adds something to the mix.

After what - a month, I still love The Wreckers.

Listening to it the other night, I think Geddy's voice sounds very little like Geddy in this track though. Maybe it's the overdub or effects or something, but it doesn't sound as much like "Geddy" as other tracks do... if this makes any sense.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jul 19 2012, 10:15 AM)

Yeah you're right. I won't deny that it serves a purpose for the story, but the thing is, I barely, if at all, think about the story when I listen to the album. That's why BU2B doesn't do much for me.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jul 19 2012, 08:15 AM)

He has tried. He wasn't happy with the results. So he gave up on it except for collaborating with Kevin Anderson. confused13.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 30 2012, 09:08 PM)
Halo Effect for me.....closely followed by Wish Them Well....

yes.gif

I'll also add BU2B2 to that list...

I admire Geddy and Alex's creativity in "The Wreckers", and their comfort level to play each other's instruments.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 30 2012, 09:08 PM)
Halo Effect for me.....closely followed by Wish Them Well....

yes.gif

I'll also add BU2B2 to that list...

I admire Geddy and Alex's creativity in "The Wreckers", and their comfort level to play each other's instruments.

To me, the first 18 seconds of The Wreckers just screams The Who - I love it. I expect Pete or Roger to start singing -