The Wreckers is the most skippable track on CA.

Alchemical

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 3 2012, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 3 2012, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 3 2012, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Jul 3 2012, 08:37 AM)
The Wreckers might be my favorite tune on CA. But it is held back by the maddening decision to fade it out just when it sounded like a soaring Lifeson solo was ready to take flight. I'm hoping they'll stretch it out live.

I listened to the album a few times before I heard anyone complain about this. One time when I listened again I paid attention to the fact that the song faded out since people seemed to be bothered by it. Just like the first few times I heard the song, it seems like a big nothing that the song fades out - makes no difference to me. The song is great. Fading it out doesn't register to me positively or negatively at all, in fact, usually I don't even notice that it fades out. No offense to you or anyone, but it seems like a silly thing to get caught up on. confused13.gif

It's not "silly" to me. This is the first time I've said anything about the album at all. It was a considered point, at least I thought. As mentioned, The Wreckers is my favorite track on the album, and I invoked The Spirit of Radio and Limelight in my praise for it. I noticed the fade out on my first spin. I knew about 20 seconds into The Wreckers that it was my favorite track and I was totally digging it. Then I noticed with 16 seconds left Lifeson launches a stellar sounding solo with wonderful tone and they kill it. I think even just five or ten more seconds of it would have been much more satisfying. All I'm really saying is that I like it so much I want more of it... tongue.gif

Again, it's my favorite track on an album that is probably my favorite since Signals. It's okay to have a few criticisms, no? If anything isn't that an indication that I'm listening carefully? wink.gif

It's all good, and I did totally appreciate and understand that you were coming from a place of loving the song. It was just a non-issue for me. It's cool if it is for you.

Fadeouts vs. cold endings are probably a non-issue for just about everyone... but that's not exactly what he was saying. He said what bothered him was that the song faded-out just as Alex was firing into a guitar solo. I can certainly understand that being an issue for someone.

I guess I'll have to listen again as I never noticed that either. Regardless, it's all good. trink39.gif

Ok, I listened again and heard what you've been talking about with Alex sounding like perhaps he's launching into a solo at the end. It's not something I particularly noticed before - I mean, I heard that part, but it didn't really register. This time, however, when I was paying attention, I noticed that after the part where Alex was doing some guitar stuff, the strings surged at the very end drowning it out, so clearly it was never meant to be a guitar solo at the end. I'm still not hearing any of how the song ends as a negative in any way. The fadeout is fine with me, and in fact a pretty cool choice considering the string accompaniment.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it too.

If there was song on this album that could gain a lot of new fans, Wreckers is the one.

The Garden is a better song IMO but it would never be played on a rock station.

The Wreckers has a chance.

I predict that once this tune get's radio play, it will be huge.

Yup, great song.

Edited by Two0neOneTwo

LOL Brouhaha Sorry you guys but i have to laugh at this.God there are so many songs that i skipped over Between the Wheels,After Image The Pass Marathon (All of Hold Your Fire srry album just never had that cool teen feel)But as you get older and start going well what should I listen too....then end up hearing the songs you use to skip and go OH SNAP I get that NOW. But you guys should be thankful it is only 2-3 songs on this one,Not like Snakes where 2-3 songs you could listen to and go WTF to the rest of it.

I do NOT agree. http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/nonono.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 4 2012, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (2112rush @ Jul 4 2012, 10:54 AM)
BU2B2 is the most skippable for me.

It's the only song I'm skipping, and since it's 90 seconds, sometimes I don't even bother.

Even if you don't like it, isn't it worth it for those synth LFO sweeps towards the end? That's one of my favorite moments on the record. 1022.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 10 2012, 06:45 PM)

It's the only song I'm skipping, and since it's 90 seconds, sometimes I don't even bother.

Even if you don't like it, isn't it worth it for those synth LFO sweeps towards the end? That's one of my favorite moments on the record. 1022.gif

Rush music starts with the lyrics for me. If the lyrics don't work, I don't care how cool the music is. Yeah, the strings in the song are cool. It SOUNDS cool, it's just that the lyrics are a serious bummer, and IMHO completely unnecessary to the story - in fact, it drags it down. Thankfully it's brief, and it's a minor issue.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2012, 09:26 PM)
the lyrics [of BU2B2] are... completely unnecessary to the story

ohmy.gif Are you crazy?

I can understand not liking the song; heck, it's "skippable" to me, too. But to say the lyrics are unnecessary to the story? no.gif

It's crucial to the story that the character lose all hope, optimism, and faith. He needs to reach his LOWEST POINT, to set up the redemptive power of "Wish Them Well" and "The Garden." Without "BU2B2," there's no catharsis.

When I'm fishing for favorite CA songs to play, "BU2B2" gets skipped. But if I'm listening to the whole story/album in one sitting, it definitely belongs there.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Rush music starts with the lyrics for me. If the lyrics don't work, I don't care how cool the music is. Yeah, the strings in the song are cool. It SOUNDS cool, it's just that the lyrics are a serious bummer, and IMHO completely unnecessary to the story - in fact, it drags it down. Thankfully it's brief, and it's a minor issue.

Wow- I couldn't disagree more. To me the lyrics of BU2B2 are crucial to the overall tone of the album and sets up for WTW perfectly.

The whole idea of looking back on a misleading, false faith that was sold to him and saying regardless he still chooses life- this is a HUGE moment.

For me it's really personally relevant: I just went through the biggest struggle of my life, and in order to survive I had to oppose the teaching and views of the religious leadership I trusted for years. I did not renounce my faith, but I did have to walk away from my church and most of my friends- it was hard and painful, but in the end I had to choose life.

This album just gets to me because I feel like the entire thing is a metaphore for that experience, and BU2B2 is that moment I was laying on my bed, hardly able to move because I was too broken and emotionally shattered. And I said "I'm done,- this isn't working. I choose life". That moment set up the drive to get up, get in gear, wish them well, and move on.

The thing is, I don't see BU2B2 as that dark- I see it as the emerging out of pain.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 10 2012, 08:59 PM)

Wow- I couldn't disagree more. To me the lyrics of BU2B2 are crucial to the overall tone of the album and sets up for WTW perfectly.

The whole idea of looking back on a misleading, false faith that was sold to him and saying regardless he still chooses life- this is a HUGE moment.

For me it's really personally relevant: I just went through the biggest struggle of my life, and in order to survive I had to oppose the teaching and views of the religious leadership I trusted for years. I did not renounce my faith, but I did have to walk away from my church and most of my friends- it was hard and painful, but in the end I had to choose life.

This album just gets to me because I feel like the entire thing is a metaphore for that experience, and BU2B2 is that moment I was laying on my bed, hardly able to move because I was too broken and emotionally shattered. And I said "I'm done,- this isn't working. I choose life". That moment set up the drive to get up, get in gear, wish them well, and move on.

The thing is, I don't see BU2B2 as that dark- I see it as the emerging out of pain.

Glad the song speaks to you.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 10 2012, 08:59 PM)

Wow. This is perfect. A perfect explanation of why BU2B2 is so necessary to the story.

Thank you and God/dess bless trink39.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 10 2012, 11:59 PM)
<snip>

Excellent post, SlyJeff. I agree completely. No BU2B2, no WTW. I think without WTW, the Anarchist endures (unresolved by WTW and thereby no Garden). Protagonist wouldn't have survived the Wreckers and would have ended up exactly like the protagonist of 2112, dead by his own hand. The whole album unravels without BU2B2 intact and placed exactly where it is on the album. (imo)

Very sly, SlyJeff... smile.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Imaginos @ Jul 4 2012, 11:49 AM)
I just don't understand this mentality of skipping tracks. Fair enough if it's a compilation album & there are one or two tracks that you are not into but when a quality band like Rush has taken the time to skillfully craft a concept album and designed the tracks to be heard in a particular sequence... why would you want to miss any of it?

To me it's like skipping a chapter in a book or film.

Completely disagree with that metaphor. Concept album or not, each song still has its own melody and notes, some of which people want to hear more than others. With a book, that option does not exist because there's nothing BUT the story.