Tabbing/Learning The Album - Guitar and Bass

Gilbertk

Working out bits and pieces. Most of Headlong Flight (Jomboni's right - hurts a bit after some time off) - feels like Bastille Day on steroids, and The Anarchist. That led me to Prime Mover (via my "thoughts on The Anarchist" thread - lyrically, okay but musically I don't see it, btw) and MP which helped dust off the chops.

The new stuff is sublime and monstrous. Geddy at his best. The quatral at the end of Seven Cities of Gold main hook (sounds like its three, but its four and so, so cool) and building the endurance for a full song will take some serious right hand exercises. I'm a little out of shape.

Sometimes, Geddy plays something and I just put my bass down, *sigh* and remember why I do computer networking for living and why I am not the bass player for the Greatest Band in the Galaxy. Geddy's creativity, fluidity, lyricism and groove are astounding and unparalleled, imo.

trink39.gif and may you fellow bass players always groove in the pocket...

<added "fellow">

Edited by CygnusGal

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 8 2012, 10:08 AM)

Sometimes, Geddy plays something and I just put my bass down, *sigh* and remember why I do computer networking for living and why I am not the bass player for the Greatest Band in the Galaxy. Geddy's creativity, fluidity, lyricism and groove are astounding and unparalleled, imo.

trink39.gif and may you fellow bass players always groove in the pocket...

<added "fellow">

Yep. I feel the same way with Alex's stuff sometimes... hell, most of the time. It must be even worse with bigger strings! laugh.gif

Keep at it, fellow stringed-instrument players! trink39.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 4 2012, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jul 3 2012, 12:03 PM)
TAB ROUNDUP

-------Guitar-----------------

Seven Cities of Gold

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rush/sev...of_gold_tab.htm

Lots of errors in that one, and they were ones I expected to see. I'll post a more accurate tab a little later. I haven't looked at the other songs yet.

EDIT: I just saw his disclaimer that it's "a first draft, and some of the chords aren't quite right."

Any news on this?

That tab is mine and I still haven't gone back to figure out a few places.

I saw another version on someone's blog, but I haven't been able to find it again..

edit: ah, here it is

Edited by internetexplorer

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 9 2012, 04:05 PM)
Tabs are the hack musicians learning tool. Learn by ear like a real player.

I'm sorry. I don't recall checking with you as to what a "real guitar player" is.

Frankly, I don't care what you think and I'm sure the other players here don't, either.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 9 2012, 06:05 PM)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I am a real father, a real husband, a real engineer, a real business man, a real friend, a real neighbor, a real homeowner, a real friend . . . all of which take my time away from learning to be a "real player." Ha ha ha ha!

What a dick you are.

I am happy to be a hack. I play for me, for fun. Odd, all of my guitars feel real when I hold them, strum them, pick them. Real enough for me.

Ha ha ha. That's probably one of the douchiest things I've read on this forum, given the context of the thread. This isn't even the musician's thread, it's certainly not a "players only" forum.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 9 2012, 06:05 PM)

Tabs are like.. guitar hero with real guitars. It's fun, and you can learn a few things. Sometimes it's nice to just look up a song and play, not sit there with the cd for hours trying to learn the exact part.

Sure, tabs may be a hindrance in some ways, but they are great for beginners and even experienced pros. Yes, learning a song by ear can teach you a lot, but some people just want to play, and what's wrong with that? confused13.gif

Sorry we don't all do it your way, oh great one of music. How many of your songs have we heard on the radio? eyesre4.gif

Edited by Gilbertk

QUOTE (hunter @ Jul 10 2012, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 9 2012, 03:05 PM)

Is this you?

Well it might be - that guy certainly looks like a real player. You can tell, because at the 0:22 second mark he nods "yes" to his mom when she says "Come upstairs for dinner."

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jul 10 2012, 10:05 AM)

Is this you?

Well it might be - that guy certainly looks like a real player. You can tell, because at the 0:22 second mark he nods "yes" to his mom when she says "Come upstairs for dinner."

Thank you so much for that laugh. I am literally on the floor.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jul 10 2012, 08:05 AM)

Is this you?

rofl3.gif

You guys are great! laugh.gif

Seriously though, I could write the whole tab I made out as sheet music, but I didn't. I know tabs are a more universal format online for guitar transcriptions, so it's a better way to give back to the community (after years of leeching), and to get feedback on it.

I didn't make my tab by being a hack. I made it by being halfway decent. I learned it by ear and then wrote it down.

UltimoGuitarist, could you transcribe 'Carnies' for me and post the sheet music somewhere? I'd appreciate it, pal smile.gif

Edited by internetexplorer

QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Jul 10 2012, 04:17 PM)
Seriously though, I could write the whole tab I made out as sheet music, but I didn't. I know tabs are a more universal format online for guitar transcriptions, so it's a better way to give back to the community (after years of leeching), and to get feedback on it.

I didn't make my tab by being a hack. I made it by being halfway decent.

Well I, for one, appreciate it. Thank you.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 9 2012, 07:05 PM)

This is the most ignorant thing I've read on the forums in some time. Playing it by ear involves a ton of trial and error. Not everyone has time to do that. Let me use similar logic: can you modify your system files so that you can completely optimize your computer's performance or appearance? If not then you don't really know how to use a computer.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jul 13 2012, 09:00 AM)
Anyone got the tab book? Any good?

I ordered it. They called me back the next day and said that they won't have it in stock for another couple of days still and will then ship ASAP. Therefore, I'm guessing it will arive mid to late next week.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 13 2012, 01:50 PM)
Any progress on any more bass tabs?

Not yet. This week has been PACKED, but hopefully I'll have time over the weekend to work on it more.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jul 10 2012, 06:25 PM)

This is the most ignorant thing I've read on the forums in some time. Playing it by ear involves a ton of trial and error. Not everyone has time to do that. Let me use similar logic: can you modify your system files so that you can completely optimize your computer's performance or appearance? If not then you don't really know how to use a computer.

He's right and I totally agree with him. Learning by ear takes time but it really does train you to identify notes and where they are on the fretboard the instant you hear them so you get to the point where learning stuff without tabs becomes easy. Tabs really slow down the development of your ear when you use them as a crutch to lean on even for stuff that isn't that complex.

I used to use tabs growing up learning some Dream Theater stuff because they are just ridiculously more complex than Rush ever was and it gets very hard to pick up every note by ear, but most Rush doesnt require tabs. There's nothing on this album even inexperienced musicians cant learn just by listening to it. It shouldnt take too much trial and error at all.

Geddy doesnt play any of those crazy little runs he used to do and the bass is pretty up front. Yeah I get why you would want a tab for that 2nd little bass run in YYZ, but he really doesnt have a lot of stuff like that throughout their entire catalog. Most of it can be learned by ear without much time spent figuring it out.

For guitar its a little different because there's chords involved, but for bass there is just no reason why anyone would need tabs for this album or most of their others.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 07:33 PM)

He's right and I totally agree with him. Learning by ear takes time but it really does train you to identify notes and where they are on the fretboard the instant you hear them so you get to the point where learning stuff without tabs becomes easy. Tabs really slow down the development of your ear when you use them as a crutch to lean on even for stuff that isn't that complex.

I used to use tabs growing up learning some Dream Theater stuff because they are just ridiculously more complex than Rush ever was and it gets very hard to pick up every note by ear, but most Rush doesnt require tabs. There's nothing on this album even inexperienced musicians cant learn just by listening to it. It shouldnt take too much trial and error at all.

Geddy doesnt play any of those crazy little runs he used to do and the bass is pretty up front. Yeah I get why you would want a tab for that 2nd little bass run in YYZ, but he really doesnt have a lot of stuff like that throughout their entire catalog. Most of it can be learned by ear without much time spent figuring it out.

For guitar its a little different because there's chords involved, but for bass there is just no reason why anyone would need tabs for this album or most of their others.

Geddy doesn't do his little bass runs anymore? Have you listened to the album more than once?

I'd say he was pretty damn good on it. Sure, he may not have been playing the "La Villa" solo or anything, but f**k you for thinking we should all be a bunch of highly skilled music masters!

All that tabs are, are tools. Do you use tools at your job? Oh I forgot, you're a professional vocalist and musicianship critic, and you're above the use of tools.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 07:33 PM)

What do you Laaaack???

You lack empathy and consideration of what others are capable of.

You don't seem to give a damn to let others get their fair share of, their fair share of...

dazed025.gif