Tabbing/Learning The Album - Guitar and Bass

Gilbertk

I tabbed out Caravan and BU2B for bass way back when they first came out, and the bass parts haven't changed at all except for different mixing and effects. I also tabbed out Headlong Flight and just submitted, hopefully it will be approved soon. Right now I'm working on The Anarchist and Clockwork Angels (for bass of course).

Anyone else started learning and/or tabbing for guitar or bass? I have no idea how drum tabs work, but has anyone at least started learning the songs off the new album?

My Caravan bass tab:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rush/caravan_ver2_btab.htm

BU2B:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rush/bu2b_btab.htm

I will post the rest when they are approved for the site.

And just a note, my username on UG is Jasonbts, but yeah it's me. That username is just a nod to the Bourne series.

Edited by Gilbertk

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Jun 30 2012, 05:33 PM)
I figured out the Headlong Flight guitar part and actually recently performed it with my band live (hopefully I'll be getting a video soon). I would tab it out, but I am way to lazy tongue.gif

Looking forward to the video!

I've been looking all over the place for bass tabs of the new songs ever since they came out, and have so far not found any. So I'm very glad to hear that you're working on some of them and can't wait to see them posted - I'll be eagerly awaiting them. Especially The Anarchist. Thank you!

I'm surprised there aren't even tabs for Headlong Flight out there yet, since it's been out a while longer than the album. I expected tabs would be out for this stuff pretty quickly, but I guess not. Hell, I can't even find bass tabs for Primus' latest album, which came out almost a year ago now, and considering that it's Primus, I'd have thought the tabbing community would have been all over it. But they let me down. angry.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 30 2012, 09:36 PM)
I've been looking all over the place for bass tabs of the new songs ever since they came out, and have so far not found any. So I'm very glad to hear that you're working on some of them and can't wait to see them posted - I'll be eagerly awaiting them. Especially The Anarchist. Thank you!

I'm surprised there aren't even tabs for Headlong Flight out there yet, since it's been out a while longer than the album. I expected tabs would be out for this stuff pretty quickly, but I guess not. Hell, I can't even find bass tabs for Primus' latest album, which came out almost a year ago now, and considering that it's Primus, I'd have thought the tabbing community would have been all over it. But they let me down. angry.gif

The Anarchist bass tab is on it's way to being approved. Should be up by the end of the week and I'll post a link here and PM you!

As for Headlong Flight.. that's my bad. I tabbed all but the last 2 minutes when the song first came out then got extremely busy and just the other day remembered to finish it. It too is waiting for approval!

Next up, Carnies and Clockwork Angels!

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 30 2012, 05:16 PM)
I tabbed out Caravan and BU2B for bass way back when they first came out, and the bass parts haven't changed at all except for different mixing and effects. I also tabbed out Headlong Flight and just submitted, hopefully it will be approved soon. Right now I'm working on The Anarchist and Clockwork Angels (for bass of course).

Anyone else started learning and/or tabbing for guitar or bass? I have no idea how drum tabs work, but has anyone at least started learning the songs off the new album?

My Caravan bass tab:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rush/caravan_ver2_btab.htm

BU2B:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rush/bu2b_btab.htm

I will post the rest when they are approved for the site.

And just a note, my username on UG is Jasonbts, but yeah it's me. That username is just a nod to the Bourne series.

First of all, thanks for tabbing out Caravan and BU2B. I look forward to seeing the others that you mentioned would be posted soon.

I don't know how to write tabs, so I really appreciate those who do.

As far as the new cd , I think I pretty much have Halo and Garden figured out on bass. 2 Very pretty songs. I have the basic idea of the bass for the title track and 7 Cities. I have not had a lot of time to sit down and work with them. It seems to me that these songs are not too technical , but seem pretty complex in spots. The title track seems to have a lot going on, but I think once I can get all the patterns down , it shouldn't be too bad.

Overall, I look forward to sitting down with this new music and trying to figure them out.

QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 2 2012, 10:18 AM)
There are some pretty amazing guitar covers of Clockwork Angels on youtube. Here is The Anarchist:
The Anarchist guitar cover

I plan on covering The Anarchist on bass later today. Not sure why I haven't covered Caravan or BU2B yet.. just haven't done it. There's actually quite a few covers I've been meaning to do I just haven't gotten to yet

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 30 2012, 09:36 PM)

I'm surprised there aren't even tabs for Headlong Flight out there yet, since it's been out a while longer than the album. I expected tabs would be out for this stuff pretty quickly, but I guess not. Hell, I can't even find bass tabs for Primus' latest album, which came out almost a year ago now, and considering that it's Primus, I'd have thought the tabbing community would have been all over it. But they let me down.  angry.gif

You shouldn't need tabs. Most of the bass is pretty up front in the mix so you can just hear the notes. And he isnt playing anything too fast or complex to make it difficult to learn by ear. Everything on here should be easy to pick up by ear and just memorizing the notes.

That 2nd little bass solo in YYZ, yeah I get why you would need tabs for that, but there is nothing even remotely close to that on this album.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 12:21 PM)
You shouldn't need tabs. Most of the bass is pretty up front in the mix so you can just hear the notes. And he isnt playing anything too fast or complex to make it difficult to learn by ear. Everything on here should be easy to pick up by ear and just memorizing the notes.

That 2nd little bass solo in YYZ, yeah I get why you would need tabs for that, but there is nothing even remotely close to that on this album.

Well considering I'm still pretty new at the instrument and can't yet learn things just by ear, I do need tabs.

QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 2 2012, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 11:21 AM)

Do you have any youtube videos of Rush bass covers you have done? I would love to see them. Although I would not be able to give any real critique, as I usually just like guitar covers.

Yeah, Trenken talks a lot about his superior bass playing, guitar playing, singing and songwriting, but has never posted any links. confused13.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Ive been slaving away writing and album myself for the last 3 years. Doing it all myself on the Mac in Logic, and Ive made it a serious focus not to use power chords if I didnt need to. I only really use them on melodic choruses sometimes, or some here and there in other parts but trying to avoid them because when I use them they sound so generic.

Actually Im really loving using dissonant chords in some of the heavier songs because its so different sounding, something Alex doesnt do for some reason. And also trying to do interesting things with the guitar in the verses, not playing chords, but notes, effects, etc...

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 2 2012, 03:31 PM)

Well considering I'm still pretty new at the instrument and can't yet learn things just by ear, I do need tabs.

Dude it doesn't matter if you're new or Have been playing for 8 years. Tabs are a helpful tool.

Very unlike trenken! He's just being his usual egotistical holier than thou, arrogant self.

I'm looking forward to seeing the songs tabbed out. Just to add...ive been playing for 10 years and I can already play quite a few of the new songs.

Still want tabs.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jul 2 2012, 06:16 PM)

Dude it doesn't matter if you're new or Have been playing for 8 years. Tabs are a helpful tool.

Very unlike trenken! He's just being his usual egotistical holier than thou, arrogant self.

I'm looking forward to seeing the songs tabbed out. Just to add...ive been playing for 10 years and I can already play quite a few of the new songs.

Still want tabs.

Tabs are like Guitar Hero for real musicians. They're fun! And helpful, but a lot of the time just fun to sight read!

I didnt realize you were a new player. My apologies. I just assumed knowing Rush is an old band and many musicians that follow them are older and very experienced, so learning anything on this album would be easy for them.

The album just came out, if you really need tabs it will take some time. They arent Metallica with a trillion fans in the world tabbing everything they do the instant it's released. It takes more time with new Rush.

But just as some friendly advice you really should try to learn the songs without tabs. None of the bass in any of these songs is that difficult and it really helps you get better by learning the notes by ear, not relying on numbers. Try it, it will help you get better much faster than resorting to tabs. Only use tabs for stuff that's too hard to hear, but the bass is pretty upfront on this album and none of it is too fast to pick up each note.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 2 2012, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 2 2012, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 11:21 AM)

Do you have any youtube videos of Rush bass covers you have done? I would love to see them. Although I would not be able to give any real critique, as I usually just like guitar covers.

Yeah, Trenken talks a lot about his superior bass playing, guitar playing, singing and songwriting, but has never posted any links. confused13.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 07:06 PM)
Ive been slaving away writing and album myself for the last 3 years. Doing it all myself on the Mac in Logic, and Ive made it a serious focus not to use power chords if I didnt need to. I only really use them on melodic choruses sometimes, or some here and there in other parts but trying to avoid them because when I use them they sound so generic.

Actually Im really loving using dissonant chords in some of the heavier songs because its so different sounding, something Alex doesnt do for some reason. And also trying to do interesting things with the guitar in the verses, not playing chords, but notes, effects, etc...

I did post a youtube vid of me singing Hemispheres. Not my problem you missed it chump. I hit the notes after hours of recording my own stuff with a tired voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eljJsLYbKjI

I f**k up some notes in there from worn out vocals, but I can point you to some youtube vids of Geddy on the Hemispheres tour sounding far worse than what I recorded there if you like.

On a Rush board where everyone sucks their cocks all day noone can be good at anything without being labelled as arrogant. The only people that say that are the ones that suck. f***ing hater.

I guess if you cant sing their toughest stuff or play bass as good then you just hate on those that can, and Im a far better bassist than I am a singer.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 08:51 PM)

I didnt realize you were a new player. My apologies. I just assumed knowing Rush is an old band and many musicians that follow them are older and very experienced, so learning anything on this album would be easy for them.

The album just came out, if you really need tabs it will take some time. They arent Metallica with a trillion fans in the world tabbing everything they do the instant it's released. It takes more time with new Rush.

But just as some friendly advice you really should try to learn the songs without tabs. None of the bass in any of these songs is that difficult and it really helps you get better by learning the notes by ear, not relying on numbers. Try it, it will help you get better much faster than resorting to tabs. Only use tabs for stuff that's too hard to hear, but the bass is pretty upfront on this album and none of it is too fast to pick up each note.

Shreddy Lee posted that he is a new player. It is irresponsible for you as an "expert" to deny the value of tabs to a beginner!!!

Yeah, "Just learn it by ear! What? Are you incapable!?"...is the tone of your "advise".

dazed025.gif

Shreddy, you keep on playing! Perhaps you know of this LINK...well, that's the guitar link. They have a LOT of bass tabs though. Forgive me if you are already all over that site.

Rock on; Rush is a great influence to musical fulfillment!!!

1022.gif

Thanks for the tab!

there is my version of Headlong flight from 2 week a go...

and from 2 years a go, my version of caravan...

im not a pro, so its not perfect... i dont read music,

its just passion!!!

bye 2.gif 1022.gif