Worst Concert Experience

The Owl

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jun 30 2012, 06:14 PM)
in 1987 I went to see The Moody Blues with a friend of mine. We both did a hit of LSD (wasn't that great) and smuggled in a bottle of whiskey (neither of us drank hard liquor very often, but we needed something to last us a few hours). Well, my friend couldn't stop throwing up during the whole show 062802puke_prv.gif and we had about a 30 foot diameter empty circle around us where nobody came close to us. With tears in his eyes and barf on his shirt, he stuck it out like a good soldier and I stayed by his side the whole time (you never leave someone alone during a bad trip). Needless to say his trip was kinda ruined, but the show was good.

Jesus man, why didn't you just get the hell out of there? Yeah, Moody Blues and LSD and all that but given your friend barfing and 30 foot circle of fear surrounding you, why didn't you just split? With a head full of acid you probably still could've had a ball just looking at a puddle of water in the parking lot for 2 hours.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 30 2012, 05:34 AM)
My worst experience was when I went to see Dream Theater and Queensryche on the same bill a few years ago.

The worst part about it was that I went to see Dream Theater and Queensryche on the same bill.

It's a bit like that Nickelback joke:

When you play a Nickelback album backwards, you hear Satanic messages. Worse still, when you play it forward you hear Nickelback.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 30 2012, 09:14 AM)
My worst experience was when I went to see Dream Theater and Queensryche on the same bill a few years ago.

The worst part about it was that I went to see Dream Theater and Queensryche on the same bill.

When you play a Nickelback album backwards, you hear Satanic messages. Worse still, when you play it forward you hear Nickelback.

It's a bit like that other Nickelback joke:

If you're sent a link that gives you a free download of a new Nickelback song, don't click it because it gives you a free download of a new Nickelback song.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jun 30 2012, 10:47 AM)

If you're sent a link that gives you a free download of a new Nickelback song, don't click it because it gives you a free download of a new Nickelback song.

Yeah this reminded me of another bad one....when the ex-wife drug me to see Nickelback with Puddle of Mudd opening. UGH!! You know the show sucked when the highlight of the night were POM playing a Sabbath song (War Pigs IIRC) and Nickelback playing a Metallca song (can't remember which one, just that it was light years better than the shit of theirs they were playing).

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 30 2012, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jun 30 2012, 10:47 AM)

Yeah this reminded me of another bad one....when the ex-wife drug me to see Nickelback with Puddle of Mudd opening. UGH!! You know the show sucked when the highlight of the night were POM playing a Sabbath song (War Pigs IIRC) and Nickelback playing a Metallca song (can't remember which one, just that it was light years better than the shit of theirs they were playing).

Puddle of Mudd needs to die off. All I hear from them is regurgitated Nirvana material.

Rush, Montreal show last year.

--- Weeks before the concert ---

I had bought three tickets through the presale: one for me, two for friends who wanted to go. When I got the tickets I realized they hadn't paid me yet. One of them (a close friend whom I've known for years) paid me the moment I asked, the other said he would when he got his paycheck. He keeps stringing me on until two weeks before the concert (a full month, he was also someone I've known for some time so I figured he wouldn't be a dick). I posted an ad on kijiji but I knew I might have to eat the ticket or sell it a lower cost. The guy who already had his ticket started asking around. A few days before the show he found someone interested (this dude is now our bassist) so I was happy to have broken even. The day of the concert the dude originally interested tells me I HAVE to sell him a ticket because I promised him one. I told him to go f**k himself. I almost had my ass handed to me that day.

--- Day of the Concert, before the event ---

Mostly smooth, we get in and find our seats were better than expected. The people around us don't seem happy that we're actually enjoying ourselves before the event even started (we made sure to keep quiet and none of us were on drugs/alcohol as the journey home from the arena is about 1-2 hours). I bought a BU2B/Caravan CD which I thought to be out of production.

--- During the Concert ---

I was trying to enjoy myself, most people two or three rows down and further were standing so we stood. The guy who paid me first was threatened by a guy with the build of a tank because his orange hooker of a girlfriend wanted to sit. The dude kept threatening to kick his ass every time he tried to stand after the first song (my told him to get lost during 2112, but there were only a few songs left at that point). Some older man in his 50s or 60s kept tapping on my back every few minutes telling me to sit down. I told him it was a rock concert and so long as most people are standing, I will too. At one point he told me that he would complain to security. I told him that I hope he did so that they would throw him out for disruptive behavior. I sat for the drum solo. He kept pestering me when I stood afterwards. He finally stopped for the encore but I was quite annoyed to have been tapped on the shoulder every song or two. I tried not to let it ruin my good time but it put a damper on it. The other guy that came with us somehow got through the concert was only asked to put a hat on to lower his puffy hair that got in the way.

--- After the concert ---

Downtown Montreal: we're not familiar with the area, so my friend uses his phone as GPS. We were getting paranoid because we weren't sure if a group of people were following us or just headed for the same bus stop (which was a few blocks down). We were getting panicky so we jumped in a cab that was passing and had him takes us to the bus stop that would take us out of montreal and set us on our way home. The cab smelled of pot and vomit. We all got home safely, but I told myself that the next concert I go to I'm getting good floor seats or shelling out extra for better lower section seats so that I wouldn't have to deal with that BS again (which had never happened to be before at other concerts where I have had worse seats).

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jun 30 2012, 12:01 PM)
Rush, Montreal show last year.......

I was trying to enjoy myself, most people two or three rows down and further were standing so we stood. The guy who paid me first was threatened by a guy with the build of a tank because his orange hooker of a girlfriend wanted to sit. The dude kept threatening to kick his ass every time he tried to stand after the first song (my told him to get lost during 2112, but there were only a few songs left at that point). Some older man in his 50s or 60s kept tapping on my back every few minutes telling me to sit down. I told him it was a rock concert and so long as most people are standing, I will too. At one point he told me that he would complain to security. I told him that I hope he did so that they would throw him out for disruptive behavior. I sat for the drum solo. He kept pestering me when I stood afterwards. He finally stopped for the encore but I was quite annoyed to have been tapped on the shoulder every song or two. I tried not to let it ruin my good time but it put a damper on it. The other guy that came with us somehow got through the concert was only asked to put a hat on to lower his puffy hair that got in the way.

I know there's a thread on this subject already, but I've gotta comment. I just don't get this. Is it cuz it was Montreal? All my Rush shows have been in the Northwest or Southern California and I saw absolutely no one sitting at any of those shows (see my list on my sig). I suppose it's possible they sit way up in the GA lawn section at The Gorge Amphitheater but I have never been up there for Rush. And folks do not sit in the reserved section there or anywhere else I've ever seen the band. I just don't get it. Fukking sad. My sympathies man.

Edited by driventotheedge

Not a bad experience persay...but another negative aspect of having a general admission ticket....

I saw Opeth last october, the show was amazing, and with a general admission ticket I got up pretty much front and center....but as with general admission goes you don't wanna leave the spot once you have it...so I didnt go to the merch stand until after the show, and when I did they were sold out of tour shirts in my size....bummer

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jul 1 2012, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jun 30 2012, 12:01 PM)
Rush, Montreal show last year.......

I know there's a thread on this subject already, but I've gotta comment. I just don't get this. Is it cuz it was Montreal? All my Rush shows have been in the Northwest or Southern California and I saw absolutely no one sitting at any of those shows (see my list on my sig). I suppose it's possible they sit way up in the GA lawn section at The Gorge Amphitheater but I have never been up there for Rush. And folks do not sit in the reserved section there or anywhere else I've ever seen the band. I just don't get it. Fukking sad. My sympathies man.

I've seen Alice Cooper and Kiss in Montreal as well and NOBODY sat at all. I saw Rush in Toronto the year before and I had much worse seats and everyone was dancing, singing and jumping (I thought the stadium was going to fall during 2112 as even the people in the nosebleeds were all jumping). I believe it was an isolated incident.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 30 2012, 06:34 AM)

laugh.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 2 2012, 12:07 PM)
Not a bad experience persay...but another negative aspect of having a general admission ticket....
I saw Opeth last october, the show was amazing, and with a general admission ticket I got up pretty much front and center....but as with general admission goes you don't wanna leave the spot once you have it...so I didnt go to the merch stand until after the show, and when I did they were sold out of tour shirts in my size....bummer

Welcome to the "great shows with very slight detractions thus making them our worst experience, but not really since they were pretty damn good" club.