What's with all the Clockwork Angels hate?

rushgoober

QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Jun 26 2012, 08:47 PM)
I love Clockwork Angels and Snakes & Arrows

That is because like me, you are freaking brilliant.

And welcome to the Board.

yes.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 27 2012, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 27 2012, 05:53 PM)
What's with all the Clockwork Angels hate?, I feel like I'm on drugs...

You probably are on some kind of drugs Gary, though I know you try to deny it...

tongue.gif

I thought his praise for Hold Your Fire made that obvious. tongue.gif

I'll never understand the hate for this album either (last two songs excluded). no.gif

I like most of HYF very much from a song-writing/lyric/melodic perspective and honestly, I think it contains some of the best SONGS they've ever written and recorded. Time Stand Still is one of them. So is Mission. No shoehorning or brickwalling or wall of distorted noise to be heard. And plenty of hooks and melody and "arrivals" and "pay-offs" in the songs

But the thing that pisses the anti-HYF people off the most is the dated overproduction and overall lack of a "rock" sound or attitude that Rush had built it's reputation on. For all the good things I like about it, HYF is definatly Rush at it's wussiest. Even the band themselves admit they got carried away with things in that regard.

I disagree about it being the wussiest sounding album. That goes to Presto and Roll the Bones - not necessarily because of the sound, but because of many of the lyrics - it was a low point for Rush lyrically on much of both of those albums.

I do understand that fans of heavy metal or hard rock might have a hard time with the keyboard era, and HYF especially, but to me those people are missing out on some of their finest albums and compositions. I don't care about keyboards, lack of keybaords, crushingly hard rock, just rock, whatever... as long as the songs are great!

Its not just being part of the snyth era that made hyf bad, and it's not the fact that the fans of the heavier stuff hated it either... Rush did 2 fantastic records in the synth era Signals and GuP, but they got carried away with it on Power Windows, and so much so with HYF that most of that album I would not even classify as rock...but as I said before "80s synth pop/adult contempoary BS"

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 28 2012, 01:00 PM)

You probably are on some kind of drugs Gary, though I know you try to deny it...

tongue.gif

I'll never understand the hate for this album either (last two songs excluded). no.gif

I like most of HYF very much from a song-writing/lyric/melodic perspective and honestly, I think it contains some of the best SONGS they've ever written and recorded. Time Stand Still is one of them. So is Mission. No shoehorning or brickwalling or wall of distorted noise to be heard. And plenty of hooks and melody and "arrivals" and "pay-offs" in the songs

But the thing that pisses the anti-HYF people off the most is the dated overproduction and overall lack of a "rock" sound or attitude that Rush had built it's reputation on. For all the good things I like about it, HYF is definatly Rush at it's wussiest. Even the band themselves admit they got carried away with things in that regard.

I disagree about it being the wussiest sounding album. That goes to Presto and Roll the Bones - not necessarily because of the sound, but because of many of the lyrics - it was a low point for Rush lyrically on much of both of those albums.

I do understand that fans of heavy metal or hard rock might have a hard time with the keyboard era, and HYF especially, but to me those people are missing out on some of their finest albums and compositions. I don't care about keyboards, lack of keybaords, crushingly hard rock, just rock, whatever... as long as the songs are great!

I agree that Presto musically is a wuss album, but lyrically??? I find the lyrics quite strong...one of Neil's finest lyrically to me.

I do agree that RTB lacks serious balls musically and lacks depth lyrically, except for Bravado.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 28 2012, 12:02 PM)

tongue.gif

I agree that Presto musically is a wuss album, but lyrically??? I find the lyrics quite strong...one of Neil's finest lyrically to me.

I do agree that RTB lacks serious balls musically and lacks depth lyrically, except for Bravado.

There are exceptions on Presto. The Pass is excellent. Chain Lightning is great too. All the others have varying degrees of lyrical success... or lack thereof...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 28 2012, 02:04 PM)

tongue.gif

There are exceptions on Presto. The Pass is excellent. Chain Lightning is great too. All the others have varying degrees of lyrical success... or lack thereof...

I also love Presto title song, Red Tide and Available Light....amazing and deep lyrics...Neil paints such beautiful pictures with the words in those songs....

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 28 2012, 01:59 PM)
Its not just being part of the snyth era that made hyf bad, and it's not the fact that the fans of the heavier stuff hated it either... Rush did 2 fantastic records in the synth era Signals and GuP, but they got carried away with it on Power Windows, and so much so with HYF that most of that album I would not even classify as rock...but as I said before "80s synth pop/adult contempoary BS"

Yes. My thoughts exactly. goodpost.gif

I'm really curious to know what the haters truly expected from this album. What does it lack that you expected or hoped for?

Still haven't purchased it yet, have a bunch of things I need to pay for first...bolt.gif

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 28 2012, 03:01 PM)
I'm really curious to know what the haters truly expected from this album. What does it lack that you expected or hoped for?

LMAO rofl3.gif

Really?

Here are the 2 camps.

1. Personal preference.

2. Horrible recording practices.

Those are the 2 troll groups.

One group wishes rush would go back the (insert decade here) musically.

One wishes they would drop the modern day mix/mastering YET leave the music alone.

smile.gif

Edited by Two0neOneTwo

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 27 2012, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 27 2012, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 27 2012, 03:24 PM)

As I've posted many times now the mix is infuriating. Seriously diminishes my enjoyment of what still at this point looks like their best in a long time. Listening to it frustrates me because of what I'm not able to hear. For that I'm very disappointed and not enjoying it as much as I could.

Only hate of the mix here.

I think we should start a support group.

This might help.

Hi, I'm Pound of Obscure.

Hey, Jude.

Get it?

Literary Beatles Pun.

GD I am funny.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 28 2012, 02:04 PM)

tongue.gif

I personally think Scars has some of the best EVERYTHING goin on.

I love it. Hands down best thing since Power Windows for me. Great Great Great! Well beyond expectations. Although I'm not a S&A hater, it totally blows that record out of the water. I just love to hear these guys really kicking ass like they should. Can't wait to spend gobs of cash on 2.gif !!!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 01:10 PM)
Anyway, I've been hesitant to express quite this level of enthusiasm before, as I know it takes a good 6 months to a year for an album to really sink in, and it's possible my opinion of the album could still drop over time as it did with S&A to an extent, but some of the recent hate has seriously puzzled me, and I had to write about it. 

Surely some of those who aren't liking CA will be commenting in this thread, and just know that that in my mind,  and in many others' minds, that you are SERIOUSLY missing out.  I feel sorry for you, because this is a great, great latter day Rush album. yes.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif

Well, I know I'm not missing out, but thanks for caring so much smile.gif

My opinions for VT and S&A haven't changed from day 1 in general and I don't expect CA is going to be any different (still open though). Much earlier albums have changed a little more over time, not for the worse though, only better. But that was a different beast back then. It's funny you mention all the hate for CA as that's not what I'm reading in general popcorn.gif