Can Geddy not pronounce words anymore?

CantStopThinkingBig

The funniest thing about this thread is does anyone really think Geddy cares if people are criticizing his vocals? I think he has grown a little thick skinned about people saying that his voice is no good for close to 40 years. beathorse.gif Edited by snowdogged

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jun 27 2012, 08:14 PM)
The funniest thing about this thread is does anyone really think Geddy cares if people are criticizing his vocals? I think he has grown a little thick skinned about people saying that his voice is no good for close to 40 years. beathorse.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 27 2012, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 05:00 PM)
Geddy Lee is and will always be a better singer then you, Trenken.

Is that challenge enough?

I would venture to say that is why you take it so personally. You are probably in your 30's and he is almost sixty and can still bring it.

Post a sample of your singing and bass playing.

Yeah, I want to hear Trenken belting out some Hemispheres!

When our weary world was young... 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ May 30 2012, 07:12 PM)
Jesus that's horrible, I havent seen that yet since I didnt buy that DVD. Honestly if Im singing for quite a while, then say try to sing the highest parts of Hemispheres, I can hit the notes just fine, but my voice is so tired that's pretty much what I sound like. Can't pronounce words well due to straining.

The problem with him is that part right there is not even that high at all. Not even remotely close to being as high as some of the older stuff, so that tells you his voice in general is really shot.

Im not bashing him, I may just as well sound like that. I'm over 20 years younger than him so it wouldnt surprise me if I keep beating on my voice.

Here you go. Just recorded this on my iphone so the quality sucks and Ive been singing for the last 3 hours recording so my voice is getting tired so cut me some slack but you can hear I can sing it.

I used some bullshit uploading site and it forced me to pick a photo so I grabbed one of my cat. smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eljJsLYbKjI

Voice tired but you can still understand the words because my voice isnt shot like Geddy's. It will be when Im his age Im sure.

Edited by trenken

From a choir teachers stand point.

His voice is sounding a little more closed and un-articulated because of a combination of a few circumstances.

1. Age: The muscles that give him the ability to lift his soft palate are weakening, giving his tongue much less room to articulate notes.

2. Layering: On the most recent album, the songs that are "loud" have have a lot of layering provide very little sonic space for his voice.

Is his voice as good as in 1981? No.

Can he still hit the notes, sing "good" and entertain you and me? You bet!

Edited by krlowe

QUOTE (krlowe @ Jun 27 2012, 08:56 PM)
From a choir teachers stand point.

His voice is sounding a little more closed and un-articulated because of a combination of a few circumstances.

1. Age: The muscles that give him the ability to lift his soft palate have are weakening, giving his tongue much less room to articulate notes.

2. Layering: On the most recent album, the songs that are "loud" have have a lot of layering provide very little sonic space for his voice.

Is his voice as good as in 1981? No.

Can he still hit the notes, sing "good" and entertain you and me? You bet!

You bet is right! He can still sing well, in pitch, with feeling. It's awesome.

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 27 2012, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jun 27 2012, 08:14 PM)
The funniest thing about this thread is does anyone really think Geddy cares if people are criticizing his vocals? I think he has grown a little thick skinned about people saying that his voice is no good for close to 40 years. beathorse.gif

who cares what Geddy thinks?

More people than there are that care what you think.

What the hell is thread all about anyway?

confused13.gif

Yeah when I first heard 2112 and Hemispheres the main thing I noticed, the one thing that really stood out to me before i even considered anything else was the great pronunciation of the English language as performed by a bunch of Canuck colonials, it really blew me away...

eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2012, 08:49 PM)

I would venture to say that is why you take it so personally. You are probably in your 30's and he is almost sixty and can still bring it.

Jesus that's horrible, I havent seen that yet since I didnt buy that DVD. Honestly if Im singing for quite a while, then say try to sing the highest parts of Hemispheres, I can hit the notes just fine, but my voice is so tired that's pretty much what I sound like. Can't pronounce words well due to straining.

The problem with him is that part right there is not even that high at all. Not even remotely close to being as high as some of the older stuff, so that tells you his voice in general is really shot.

Im not bashing him, I may just as well sound like that. I'm over 20 years younger than him so it wouldnt surprise me if I keep beating on my voice.

Here you go. Just recorded this on my iphone so the quality sucks and Ive been singing for the last 3 hours recording so my voice is getting tired so cut me some slack but you can hear I can sing it.

I used some bullshit uploading site and it forced me to pick a photo so I grabbed one of my cat. smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eljJsLYbKjI

Voice tired but you can still understand the words because my voice isnt shot like Geddy's. It will be when Im his age Im sure.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 27 2012, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 27 2012, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 05:11 PM)

Exactly - post some of your stuff, Trenken.

Anything.

No please don't, just what we need, a whole so called "album" of negative, depressing crap. no.gif

Trenken's album is probably a concept album about the struggle between the righteous Mars Volta fans and the evil, brainwashed Rush Forum fans who are ruled over by the oppressive mods. tongue.gif

The Mars Volta really is one of his favorites, I think? Sorry, but 062802puke_prv.gif . I love Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, lots of other new prog but just don't get TMV. Their vocals are scared.gif no.gif . But better than Geddy, I guess? confused13.gif

The Mars Volta's vocalist has gotten better with the progression of the albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBPlKLJWC6E&feature=related

^^^This is a pretty good example. It's got a sweet bass solo too. Maybe it will expand the horizons of a few members here

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 27 2012, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:04 PM)
God love our mods here. They are more patient people than me for sure dealing with all the asinine morons creating shit-wipe topics like this.

I would have "Darwin-ed" at least five people the past month, and damned good riddance.

To the mods!

trink39.gif

so let me get this straight... a discussion about the NEW ALBUM and the sound of Geddy's voice on it, is a "shit-wipe topic" to you? What would you rather be discussing, how much you fantasize about being gang banged and golden showered by Neil Geddy and Alex?

Basically, it's the dickish tone of the OP.

The douchebaggery is what annoys people.

Try showing some respect next time.