Can Geddy not pronounce words anymore?

CantStopThinkingBig

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 27 2012, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 06:27 PM)
Lately he's singing like he's got a mouth full of cotton. At first I thought he was only doing this on live performances, but he's doing it all over CA. Parts of Carnies come to mind... but it's in just about every song. Maybe they really do need to start sticking to instrumentals...

Maybe clean out your ears.

If you can't understand what he's singing then you have a problem hearing.

It's that simple.

Rush fans are hilarious. He sounds normal to you? He's an old man still trying to sing high, with vocals that have been deteriorating since around HYF, and now its very hard for him to pronounce words when he's straining. This is naturally what happens to singers, yet this guy thinks he sounds normal. LOLLLL

Edited by trenken

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 08:21 AM)
And with that post you lose any credibility you might have ever had.

Credibility??

Uhm, this is an internet forum where a bunch of middle aged men are arguing about how well a 58 year old rock singer can "enunciate", not the G8 Summit

This place is silly.

Hey, who you calling middle aged?

My dad is middle aged, therefore I can't be.

Lately he's singing like he's got a mouth full of cotton. At first I thought he was only doing this on live performances, but he's doing it all over CA. Parts of Carnies come to mind... but it's in just about every song. Maybe they really do need to start sticking to instrumentals...

It's that simple.

I considered that. My ears are fine though. Its the mix and the way he has to sing now. I'm totally fine with Geddy's singing. Its still quite good for his age. But its cotton-mouthed sometimes. Its cool. I'm not ok with the mix. That's inexcusable.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:33 PM)
<----- warning: has not read entire thread unsure.gif

I personally think the "cotton-mouth" sound is due to mixing and sound effects to make him sound this way. Someone mentioned 7 cities - which is quite echo-y but I'm sure it was done on purpose for effect. They don't record any record nowdays as it sounds in the studio, ya know tongue.gif

He's quite clear on The Garden, which is the closest to that pure "musical instrument" sound as you get on this record.

I agree.

I have a problem understanding a fair few words that Geddy sings on recent recordings. I think it's due to the number, choice and speed of the words that he has to sing. I also think it's got something to do with the recording/mixing of some of the songs. Yes, it annoys me (because I think "if only I could hear him through the fog"), but I'm not complaining, too much.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:33 PM)
I personally think the "cotton-mouth" sound is due to mixing and sound effects to make him sound this way.  Someone mentioned 7 cities - which is quite echo-y but I'm sure it was done on purpose for effect.

I think the studio effects were employed in an effort to hide just how much deterioration his voice has suffered. He often sounds like he's "underwater" to me on this album. Had they left the vocals in a clearer state, his inability to hit the high notes and enunciate well would just be all the more obvious.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1

I do think Ged's vocals are a little inconsistent on CA.

For example, he doesn't sound so great on the last vocal "break" in Carnies: unsure.gif

A wheel of fate, a game of chance

But he sounds spectacular on the Seven Cities chorus: 1022.gif

Glitter in the sun like a revelation

Distant as a comet or a constellation

And he gives maybe his best-ever-recorded vocal performance on The Garden, especially the bridge:

The future disappears into memory

With only a moment between

Forever dwells in that moment

Hope is what remains to be seen

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 27 2012, 03:35 PM)

It's that simple.

Rush fans are hilarious. He sounds normal to you? He's an old man still trying to sing high, with vocals that have been deteriorating since around HYF, and now its very hard for him to pronounce words when he's straining. This is naturally what happens to singers, yet this guy thinks he sounds normal. LOLLLL

Geddy Lee is and will always be a better singer then you, Trenken.

Is that challenge enough?

I would venture to say that is why you take it so personally. You are probably in your 30's and he is almost sixty and can still bring it.

Post a sample of your singing and bass playing.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 27 2012, 03:59 PM)

Really? That's the part that ruins the chorus for me. Can't understand a word of that. Just wallowing. I think a chunk of that is the mix. But some is him. I would have thought that section the last section anyone would point out as a spectacular part. Odd.

Edited by Pound of Obscure

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 05:00 PM)

I would venture to say that is why you take it so personally. You are probably in your 30's and he is almost sixty and can still bring it.

Yeah, I want to hear Trenken belting out some Hemispheres!

When our weary world was young... 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ May 30 2012, 07:12 PM)
Jesus that's horrible, I havent seen that yet since I didnt buy that DVD. Honestly if Im singing for quite a while, then say try to sing the highest parts of Hemispheres, I can hit the notes just fine, but my voice is so tired that's pretty much what I sound like. Can't pronounce words well due to straining.

The problem with him is that part right there is not even that high at all. Not even remotely close to being as high as some of the older stuff, so that tells you his voice in general is really shot.

Im not bashing him, I may just as well sound like that. I'm over 20 years younger than him so it wouldnt surprise me if I keep beating on my voice.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 27 2012, 05:02 PM)

Really? That's the part that ruins the chorus for me. Can't understand a word of that. Just wallowing. I think a chunk of that is the mix. But some is him. I would have thought that section the last section anyone would point out as a spectacular part. Odd.

Really? Wow, different strokes for sure. unsure.gif

I don't know about the e-nun-ci-a-tion, but his voice sounds pretty dang powerful in the spot.

Probably the best example I can remember in a long time of Geddy belting out something in his higher range.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 27 2012, 05:07 PM)

Jesus that's horrible, I havent seen that yet since I didnt buy that DVD. Honestly if Im singing for quite a while, then say try to sing the highest parts of Hemispheres, I can hit the notes just fine, but my voice is so tired that's pretty much what I sound like. Can't pronounce words well due to straining.

The problem with him is that part right there is not even that high at all. Not even remotely close to being as high as some of the older stuff, so that tells you his voice in general is really shot.

Im not bashing him, I may just as well sound like that. I'm over 20 years younger than him so it wouldnt surprise me if I keep beating on my voice.

Exactly - post some of your stuff, Trenken.

Anything.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 27 2012, 05:11 PM)

I don't know about the e-nun-ci-a-tion, but his voice sounds pretty dang powerful in the spot.

Probably the best example I can remember in a long time of Geddy belting out something in his higher range.

Well, yeah. I'd agree with that.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 27 2012, 05:11 PM)

Yep - there seems to be much reversed agism goin on in the Rush community lately.

Pitch, emotion, attitude - it seemingly does not matter to people who simply want Geddy to sound like a 30 year old man.

As an athlete, I can attest to the fact that these guys are smoking on every level at their age.

And much of the criticism is coming from guys who probably couldn't run around the block.

As far as his singing - Ged is knocking it out of the park on this one.

Out of the park.

I think he sounds perfectly fine, it's some of the live recordings I've heard since the R30 tour that are kind of sketchy. That being said, the Time Machine Tour in Pittsburgh was the first time I had seen them and I about lost my mind I was having such a good time! My wife (who I dragged along with me) even said that she thought they were fantastic.

People have the right to voice their opinion and I don't really feel like anyone is exuding any troll-like behavior, other than the "cock sucking" exchange LMAO.

Edited by twwells

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 27 2012, 02:41 PM)

It's that simple.

I considered that. My ears are fine though. Its the mix and the way he has to sing now. I'm totally fine with Geddy's singing. Its still quite good for his age. But its cotton-mouthed sometimes. Its cool. I'm not ok with the mix. That's inexcusable.

Agreed....."clean out your ears"....what a load of shit.

His singing is sketchy in spots, and the production DOES have issues.....especially the mix.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 05:11 PM)

Anything.

No please don't, just what we need, a whole so called "album" of negative, depressing crap. no.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:04 PM)
God love our mods here. They are more patient people than me for sure dealing with all the asinine morons creating shit-wipe topics like this.

I would have "Darwin-ed" at least five people the past month, and damned good riddance.

To the mods!

trink39.gif

so let me get this straight... a discussion about the NEW ALBUM and the sound of Geddy's voice on it, is a "shit-wipe topic" to you? What would you rather be discussing, how much you fantasize about being gang banged and golden showered by Neil Geddy and Alex?

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 02:14 AM)
It's funny listening to complainnts about Geddys voice and "enunciation" by a bunch of dudes who probably couldn't jog in place for a minute without puking.

Geddy sounds really strong on the new album

Stop being little bitches, for f**k sakes.

so because I can't sing like Geddy, I can't critique his voice? On an album that the band has marketed to me and I've paid money for? I never said anything about Geddy's voice not being strong... I said he's not enunciating his words. It's very noticeable to anyone with half a brain... listen to CA, and then listen to Signals... or any album pre-S&A for that matter. It sounds like Geddy just got back from the dentist when he recorded the vocals on CA

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 27 2012, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 05:11 PM)

Anything.

No please don't, just what we need, a whole so called "album" of negative, depressing crap. no.gif

Trenken's album is probably a concept album about the struggle between the righteous Mars Volta fans and the evil, brainwashed Rush Forum fans who are ruled over by the oppressive mods. tongue.gif

The Mars Volta really is one of his favorites, I think? Sorry, but 062802puke_prv.gif . I love Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, lots of other new prog but just don't get TMV. Their vocals are scared.gif no.gif . But better than Geddy, I guess? confused13.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 27 2012, 04:33 PM)
He's quite clear on The Garden, which is the closest to that pure "musical instrument" sound as you get on this record.

goodpost.gif