Can Geddy not pronounce words anymore?

CantStopThinkingBig

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 07:27 PM)
Lately he's singing like he's got a mouth full of cotton. At first I thought he was only doing this on live performances, but he's doing it all over CA. Parts of Carnies come to mind... but it's in just about every song. Maybe they really do need to start sticking to instrumentals...

Yeah, I have hard time hearing his words too in some songs...esp in 7 Cities

Amongst the classic bands, Geddy is one of the easiest vocalists to understand what he is saying. It might be different for other people, but I was always able to hear what he is saying after a few times listening. I'm not having much of a problem with Clockwork Angels.

It's an age thing. Years of singing have taken a toll on his vocal chords and it's caused his words to be more jumbled sometimes now. Age will cause muscles to weaken, so his jaw, tongue and other facial muscles might not have the flexability they used to, which will also add to the problem.

I think this happens live, but on CA not really.

At first I thought it was hard to understand him in places, and it is, but it's always been like that. For me I've always needed to read over the lyrics booklet to get everything I was missing before. Yeah, from time to time I wish he was a tad clearer, but it really isn't very different than so many of their past albums in that regard...

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 26 2012, 07:36 PM)
these guys aren't exactly fresh out of the gate you know. tongue.gif

applaudit.gif

Must say, it IS a bit shocking when you look at videos from, say, the Grace Under Pressure tour. Check out this 1984 performance of New World Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR-ATNh3Dto

Crystal clear articulation...I don't even think I enunciate this well when I'm speaking conversationally. So it's definitely been a big drop-off since those days, but that's nitpicking. We're lucky that they're still even recording.

Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 26 2012, 07:57 PM)
Must say, it IS a bit shocking when you look at videos from, say, the Grace Under Pressure tour. Check out this 1984 performance of New World Man:

Crystal clear articulation...I don't even think I enunciate this well when I'm speaking conversationally. So it's definitely been a big drop-off since those days, but that's nitpicking. We're lucky that they're still even recording.

Well yeah, Geddy was like 28 at that time and in the vocal prime of his life. Now pushing 60, like ReflectedLight said, he isn't exactly fresh out of the gate anymore wink.gif

You're right though, we're lucky that they're still recording and touring. I think most people understand that while Geddy is still a solid singer, he can't do it as good as he used to.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 26 2012, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 26 2012, 07:57 PM)

Well yeah, Geddy was like 28 at that time and in the vocal prime of his life. Now pushing 60, like ReflectedLight said, he isn't exactly fresh out of the gate anymore wink.gif

You're right though, we're lucky that they're still recording and touring. I think most people understand that while Geddy is still a solid singer, he can't do it as good as he used to.

I only started noticing it around the time of S&A though. It seems like that's when his voice began a sharp downward spiral.

Lately he's singing like he's got a mouth full of cotton. At first I thought he was only doing this on live performances, but he's doing it all over CA. Parts of Carnies come to mind... but it's in just about every song. Maybe they really do need to start sticking to instrumentals...

Do you have more than one example, or will this be your stupidest thread confused13.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 26 2012, 08:21 PM)

Do you have more than one example, or will this be your stupidest thread confused13.gif

I gave you an example... the entire CA album. Here's some more... go listen to every live recording from 2007-2011

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 08:24 PM)

I gave you an example... the entire CA album. Here's some more... go listen to every live recording from 2007-2011

Oh, I see. Your stupidest thread it is. :salute:

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 26 2012, 07:42 PM)
It's an age thing. Years of singing have taken a toll on his vocal chords and it's caused his words to be more jumbled sometimes now. Age will cause muscles to weaken, so his jaw, tongue and other facial muscles might not have the flexability they used to, which will also add to the problem.

What do vocal chords have to do with pronunciation?

It accounts for a lower voice, but not for poor pronunciation... like you said more to do with the muscles

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 26 2012, 09:24 PM)
I can't understand him in the '75 era personally.

Yeah, he was pretty much incomprehensible 50% of the time. . . Neil's dense lyrics crammed into the music didn't help either tongue.gif

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 06:24 PM)

Can you do better or would you sound like you got a mouth full of %$#@?

If you listen to BBB on ESL, there is a perfect example of enunciation in that recording.

rofl3.gif

j/k...like the music, you have to read the lyrics as much as you need to absorb the music over many listens.

I believe Geddy was quoted saying, "It's hard work to be a Rush fan."

LOL

At this stage of his singing career, I can accept his limitations..his overall performance on CA is outstandingly AWESOME, imo.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 26 2012, 09:24 PM)
I can't understand him in the '75 era personally.

Yeah, he was pretty much incomprehensible 50% of the time. . . Neil's dense lyrics crammed into the music didn't help either tongue.gif

Yeah, not a big fan of squirrely-voiced dungeons and dragons tales. Give me CA any day, thanks.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 26 2012, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 26 2012, 07:42 PM)

What do vocal chords have to do with pronunciation?

It accounts for a lower voice, but not for poor pronunciation... like you said more to do with the muscles

I just figured as vocal cords weakened with age, it would cause pronunciation to be harder. Then again, i'm not a doctor or know anything much about what happens to those parts as you age. I was just merely taking a few guesses at what causes it confused13.gif

I can't hear you... In fact, YOUR voice seems muffled for some reason.

http://winnietoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/asshole.jpg