The Garden

lonelymoon

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 26 2012, 06:47 PM)
Rush ripping off Nirvana? Been happening much beginning with Counterparts maybe ?? Grunge chords and production came from where? Hello? Alex bought a shotgun and detached garage in Seattle in '94, but he ended up using the shotgun as a slide on TFE and he stores his bike in the garage, hoping Neil will invite him on a bike ride to Nicaragua. (still waiting, I suspect). And Neil. The toms at the start of the Anarchist... it's 2012. Wipe Out has been done dude. oops.gif

.....dafuq did I just .... ? ??? ?

? unsure.gif ?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lonelymoon @ Jun 26 2012, 04:15 PM)
What can we say about RUSH's latest attempt at a ballad except "IIWII". Thoughts about Alex's pedestrian guitar playing (the flat picking part in the chorus we have heard before in... oh how many other songs??? Geddy's vocal delivery shows his age more than any other song they have done. I don't think I would say that about any other song they have done, including on this album. Sadly sounds like an old man warbling. sad.gif given it repeated listenings, tried hard to like it, but the writing is on the wall:
IIWII unsure.gif

Wow, I'm really disappointed! Everyone had warn me on how bad and negative the trolling would get on the threads here after a new release and frankly they have all been pretty lame. It's really appalling and this attempt is the worst of them all. You guys really should have stayed with the bassy sounding mastering at least you guys had a leg to stand on with that. But this? This is the most dismal attempt at trolling I have witness yet. There's absolutely no thought behind it. Have you guys ran out of ideas? Do you need some? I can help! Really!

"Neil's improvisation is amateurish and should never have been attempted!"

"Alex's guitar sound has never sounded more cluttered."

"Geddy's bass playing sounds like tow bull frogs mating underwater. "

" Clockwork Angels may have benefited from more keyboards and less strings!'

Any of the above threads would have been a better attempt at trolling than what has been put forth. Its really pathetic!

Come on guys! Please! Try harder. Its been a real let down. I really expected more. Give us something worth our while or just admit for once that trolling against Clockwork Angels is nearly impossible and its brilliance is too damn hard to neglect!

wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 26 2012, 04:17 PM)
Hey..I remember you. You're loads of fun! Thanks for stopping by! wacko.gif

rofl3.gif

@OP You're a trolling moron piece of shit, don't worry though, IIWII.

This is by FAR one of the most beautiful and intricately composed pieces of work we've heard from Rush since... well... maybe since ever.

Go back to your Bon Jovi forum mister!

moon.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 28 2012, 04:23 PM)
@OP You're a trolling moron piece of shit, don't worry though, IIWII.

This is by FAR one of the most beautiful and intricately composed pieces of work we've heard from Rush since... well... maybe since ever.

Go back to your Bon Jovi forum mister!

moon.gif

This is why he's called lonely moon...

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jun 27 2012, 07:08 AM)
The Garden is not a bad song but it's just not "Rush" enough for me. It's too laid back and soft. However, I do give them credit for trying something different. I think it would fit well on Geddy's My Favorite Headache album obviously because he wrote most of it.

i get the same impression from the song and it doesn't stand out for me. it's ok to sound soft or laid back but i'm not feeling the song the way others are. i love tears and that's slower than the garden but the garden doesn't stick with me the way tears does.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 27 2012, 07:39 PM)
Wow, I'm really disappointed! Everyone had warn me on how bad and negative the trolling would get on the threads here after a new release and frankly they have all been pretty lame. It's really appalling and this attempt is the worst of them all. You guys really should have stayed with the bassy sounding mastering at least you guys had a leg to stand on with that. But this? This is the most dismal attempt at trolling I have witness yet. There's absolutely no thought behind it. Have you guys ran out of ideas? Do you need some? I can help! Really!

Any of the above threads would have been a better attempt at trolling than what has been put forth. Its really pathetic!

Come on guys! Please! Try harder. Its been a real let down. I really expected more. Give us something worth our while or just admit for once that trolling against Clockwork Angels is nearly impossible and its brilliance is too damn hard to neglect!

wink.gif

goodpost.gif

In ten five or ten years, The Garden will be considered a new Rush classic, and lonelymoon will still be lonely on his computer (or whatever strange device we have then) trolling on Rush sites.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 28 2012, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 27 2012, 07:39 PM)
Wow, I'm really disappointed! Everyone had warn me on how bad and negative the trolling would get on the threads here after a new release and frankly they have all been pretty lame. It's really appalling and this attempt is the worst of them all. You guys really should have stayed with the bassy sounding mastering at least you guys had a leg to stand on with that. But this? This is the most dismal attempt at trolling I have witness yet. There's absolutely no thought behind it. Have  you guys ran out of ideas? Do you need some? I can help! Really!

wink.gif

goodpost.gif

In ten five or ten years, The Garden will be considered a new Rush classic, and lonelymoon will still be lonely on his computer (or whatever strange device we have then) trolling on Rush sites.

Nah, lonelymoon loves the garden.....but is mad at the song cause it made him cry when he didnt want to and he felt like a wuss, hence the trolly post..... tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 28 2012, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jun 27 2012, 07:08 AM)
The Garden is not a bad song but it's just not "Rush" enough for me.  It's too laid back and soft. However, I do give them credit for trying something different.  I think it would fit well on Geddy's My Favorite Headache album obviously because he wrote most of it.

i get the same impression from the song and it doesn't stand out for me. it's ok to sound soft or laid back but i'm not feeling the song the way others are. i love tears and that's slower than the garden but the garden doesn't stick with me the way tears does.

Tears is a real tear-jerker for me. A seriously beautiful song. The Garden is full of weeds.

QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 27 2012, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 26 2012, 05:17 PM)
In English, please?  No idea what "IIWII" means.  Don't much care, either.

And I disagree.  "The Garden" is a thing of ineffable beauty.  And it is not intended to be a show-offy piece for anyone.

I think it's one of the best songs on the album...it stood out immediately. I just wonder why did they place it at the end of the album?

The song straight up rocks... 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I agree, it is my favorite song on the album! Hope they play it on tour!!!

QUOTE (g under p @ Jun 27 2012, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 26 2012, 05:17 PM)
In English, please?  No idea what "IIWII" means.  Don't much care, either.

And I disagree.  "The Garden" is a thing of ineffable beauty.  And it is not intended to be a show-offy piece for anyone.

I think it's one of the best songs on the album...it stood out immediately. I just wonder why did they place it at the end of the album?

The song straight up rocks... 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Strange choice of adjective

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 29 2012, 04:30 AM)
The phrase "it is what it is" has always grated on me... (and it's something my boss always says, grrrrr.)

Anyway, it's a good song, even if it's a bit too melancholy for my tastes. I like Rush albums to end on an upbeat, positive note. 1022.gif 1022.gif

Rush have rarely been more positive and upbeat than The Garden. I think you're referring to the song being slower and the lyrics being very deep and thoughtful, but that doesn't make the song melancholy... at all. no.gif

The cells tick away.

If you are one who realizes fully that you are mortal, and are more aware of your end of days than of the hey days, of that distant past when you bathed in that constant, invincible immersion of youth and discovery...

If the measure of a life, of a lifetime, is the love and respect you've earned, of all you have given rather than taken,

... then The Garden is wholesomely positive if you've lived that full, rewarding life with wonderful children to pass on your legacy.

... else The Garden can be a painful reminder: "It's cold comfort to the ones without it, to know" how you struggled. Like the homeless man on the outside looking in, blankly gazing with jaded envy through the shopping glass window at all the shiny, happy people inside the store.

The memory of a life is too rich to be labeled "positive" or "negative." But the overall feeling can be warm and nostalgic, or cold and longing.

The arrow flies while you breathe. The hours tick away.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 29 2012, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 29 2012, 04:30 AM)
The phrase "it is what it is" has always grated on me... (and it's something my boss always says, grrrrr.)

Anyway, it's a good song, even if it's a bit too melancholy for my tastes.  I like Rush albums to end on an upbeat, positive note.  1022.gif  1022.gif

Rush have rarely been more positive and upbeat than The Garden. I think you're referring to the song being slower and the lyrics being very deep and thoughtful, but that doesn't make the song melancholy... at all. no.gif

trink39.gif

I find it uplifting.

Maybe you'd be willing to go a few rounds with Trenken, who keeps saying the story/album "doesn't have a happy ending." I'd like to argue that, but I'm not willing to devote the time.

No, I get what the lyrics try to convey. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the *music* sounds like a dirge to me. (Contrast with "The Sphere" at the end of Hemispheres.)

Now don't get me wrong! It's a beautiful song and I certainly don't hate it! Alex's solo in it gets stuck in my mind quite often as a matter of fact.

I just prefer to have a Rush album end with something a little more uptempo and kinetic, that's all. wink.gif

Edited by Bangster of Goats

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 29 2012, 10:04 AM)
The cells tick away.

If you are one who realizes fully that you are mortal, and are more aware of your end of days than of the hey days, of that distant past when you bathed in that constant, invincible immersion of youth and discovery...

If the measure of a life, of a lifetime, is the love and respect you've earned, of all you have given rather than taken,

... then The Garden is wholesomely positive if you've lived that full, rewarding life with wonderful children to pass on your legacy.

... else The Garden can be a painful reminder: "It's cold comfort to the ones without it, to know" how you struggled. Like the homeless man on the outside looking in, blankly gazing with jaded envy through the shopping glass window at all the shiny, happy people inside the store.

The memory of a life is too rich to be labeled "positive" or "negative." But the overall feeling can be warm and nostalgic, or cold and longing.

The arrow flies while you breathe. The hours tick away.

goodpost.gif