Kevin J. Anderson

Principled Man

Like/dislike his works?

Will he help or hurt Clockwork Angels?

Inquiring minds want to know...... smile.gif

He's a tennis player from South Africa and he just got ousted at Wimbledon...

Tennis

Anderson floored by Dimitrov

2012-06-26 19:53

Johannesburg - South Africa's singles run at Wimbledon came to an early and abrupt end in London on Tuesday.

The country's only entries in the men's and women's singles draws, Kevin Anderson and Chanelle Scheepers, were both defeated in first-round matches on the second day of the Grand Slam tournament.

Anderson, 26, fell to 21-year-old Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov for the second time in as many tournaments, going down 5-7, 6-7 (3/7), 7-6 (7/4), 3-6.

The SA men's No 1 had lost to Dimitrov in the quarterfinals of the Queens tournament in the build-up to the grass-court Grand Slam event.

Earlier in the day, Scheepers was dumped out by Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan, going down 6-7, 6-7.

Despite a close contest against the Kazakh, Scheepers was unable to win the crucial points and lost both sets in a tie-break.

The 28-year-old Scheepers has never made it past the first round of the grass-court event, after three appearances at Wimbledon.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Tennis/Anderson-f...mitrov-20120626

Treeduck, if Anderson can't get past the 1st round of a meager tennis tournament, how is he going to help Neil and his novel??

Damned slacker......

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 26 2012, 05:03 PM)
Treeduck, if Anderson can't get past the 1st round of a meager tennis tournament, how is he going to help Neil and his novel??

Damned slacker......

Don't say that to his face he's 6'6" and 260lbs...

wacko.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 26 2012, 05:03 PM)

Damned slacker......

Don't say that to his face he's 6'6" and 260lbs...

wacko.gif

Actually I got it wrong he's 6'8"

wacko.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 26 2012, 06:25 PM)
Is Kevin Anderson the one who wrote Star Wars: Vector Prime? And the rest of the NJO?

R.A. Salvatore wrote Vector Prime. Anderson was not involved in any of the New Jedi Order books. He did write many books for the Jedi Academy and Young Jedi Knights series.

And, unfortunately, he got involved in the Dune series..... sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Tried to get into the first book of Saga of Seven Suns, whatever the f**k it was called... got about 300 pages in and had to put it down. Just didn't do it for me. I'll probably try again so I can get more of a feel for his writing style before the Clockwork Angels comes out.

Clockwork Angels: loved the album, but downloaded a sample of the first chapter of the book and hated it. The laziness of his writing style annoys the hell out of me.

(I also downloaded Voltaire's "Candide" as the story was based on that, and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.)

I actually wrote and presented an academic paper to explain why some pop culture adaptations work and some don't using CA (the album and novel) as examples. The album was pretty successful and well-received, while the novel, which should have been a no-brainer, wasn't. Lots of negative reviews and commentary on CA the Novel, and KJA directly. Wasn't pretty.

Conclusion: you can't MAKE something popular, as a general rule. POP culture means the POPULACE decides if they like it or not.

• Like 1

I actually wrote and presented an academic paper to explain why some pop culture adaptations work and some don't using CA (the album and novel) as examples. The album was pretty successful and well-received, while the novel, which should have been a no-brainer, wasn't. Lots of negative reviews and commentary on CA the Novel, and KJA directly. Wasn't pretty.

Conclusion: you can't MAKE something popular, as a general rule. POP culture means the POPULACE decides if they like it or not.

The novel would have been a success if a real novelist had written it. Neil is a lyricist - not a novelist. His writing is simply too dispassionate to capture the audience.

Anderson is a 3rd-rate hack novelist. Neil made a mistake by letting his friend do the book. He should have chosen a better writer.

The novel would have been a success if a real novelist had written it. Neil is a lyricist - not a novelist. His writing is simply too dispassionate to capture the audience.

Anderson is a 3rd-rate hack novelist. Neil made a mistake by letting his friend do the book. He should have chosen a better writer.

I actually made that point in the paper as well, that Neil was influenced by his friendship on what was essentially a vanity project. Add in the rush (no pun intended) to publication to meet the start of the tour, and it was a recipe for disaster. I cited a lot of the commentary from this board to support those arguments. If the people that WANT something to succeed can't buy into it, then it's a failure of monumental proportions.

Understand that the book did have some positive points, but overall it was just lacking in any sort of cohesion and was, in many ways, amateurish, which in the end falls on KJA, not Neil.

And I actually mailed a copy of the paper to KJA through ECW press and Neil through Anthem via Ray Danniels, but never heard anything back. Don't know if they ever received them or not, but I figured I should at least try to let them know I did it.

I actually made that point in the paper as well, that Neil was influenced by his friendship on what was essentially a vanity project. Add in the rush (no pun intended) to publication to meet the start of the tour, and it was a recipe for disaster. I cited a lot of the commentary from this board to support those arguments. If the people that WANT something to succeed can't buy into it, then it's a failure of monumental proportions.

Understand that the book did have some positive points, but overall it was just lacking in any sort of cohesion and was, in many ways, amateurish, which in the end falls on KJA, not Neil.

Anderson's quoting Rush lyrics throughout the whole thing was cringe worthy. He should have spent some more time making it readable. Unfortunately, the audio version was Neil's mistake. Way too monotone, I had a hard time getting through it.