Is Clockwork Angels is better than...

DistantEarlyRushFan

Clockwork Angels is better than...  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Clockwork Angels is better than...

• Neither GUP nor PoW
    • Both GUP and PoW
    • PoW only
    • GUP only

Hello fellow 2.gif fans

I have been trying to figure out where this new album falls in the overall 2.gif catalog.

After listening to Counterparts closely, I have determined that strong tracks like Double Agent and Alien Shore don't make up for the presence of weak tracks like Nobody's Hero and Everyday Glory. Therefore, it can't be as good as this new album because I don't think it has one weak track! Now I am absolutely sure that CA is better than 2.gif 1987-2007.

While I am also positive that this new album is not crafted as well as MP, I can't decide; however, if this new album is as good as GUP or PeW even after I listen to them closely.

I'm hoping that the members of this board could help me in determining where this album falls. This question has been bothering me for some time. Your poll answers and reply posts are greatly encouraged and appreciated.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure, but both have a couple of weaker tacks, while, for me, Clockwork Angels doesn't have any.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 25 2012, 02:53 PM)
confused13.gif no Vapor trails confused13.gif

From your posts, I know that you are a proponent of VT.

However, I feel that the botched production, lack of guitar solos and a couple of forgettable tracks (The Stars Look Down, How It Is) keep it out of this conversation.

It also seems to me to be the least Rush-like album in their entire catalog. The approach just seems different in a bad way. That't just how I feel though

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 25 2012, 02:58 PM)
It's better than Grace Under Pressure which has some tunes that don't appeal to me so much like The Body Electric, Red Lenses and The Enemy Within...

But you have to admit that The Enemy Within and Red Lenses are creative and well crafted songs.

The Body Electric is probably half good. That song might be the only thing keeping it from being as strong as Signals and MP.

The only reason that I can't say now that CA is better than GUP is because it has so many classic 2.gif moments that are so characteristic of the band in their prime

In my opinion, it's DEFINITELY better than GUP, and perhaps better than PoW, too.

Better than both, Not the production however wink.gif

Good Thread! I would have placed Signals in there as well.

Anyway I think its better than all of them. CA has 10 Strong Tracks. While all the albums listed have between 6-8 Good track. In my book that good enough for CA to be Better than Those. Yeah Their production might be cleaner sounding but not enough to make it better than this new masterpiece by 2.gif !

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 25 2012, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 25 2012, 02:58 PM)
It's better than Grace Under Pressure which has some tunes that don't appeal to me so much like The Body Electric, Red Lenses and The Enemy Within...

But you have to admit that The Enemy Within and Red Lenses are creative and well crafted songs.

The Body Electric is probably half good. That song might be the only thing keeping it from being as strong as Signals and MP.

The only reason that I can't say now that CA is better than GUP is because it has so many classic 2.gif moments that are so characteristic of the band in their prime

I don't see it that way, Rush in their prime to me is the Fly By Night-Moving Pictures 1975-1981 golden era, Grace Under Pressure is a transitional album which leads to the more consistent and more powerfully melodic Power Windows.

Don't get me wrong there's some great tracks on there, Between the Wheels, Afterimage, Kid Gloves, Red Sector A, Distant Early Warning, all excellent tracks which I've always enjoyed.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 25 2012, 03:15 PM)
Good Thread! I would have placed Signals in there as well.

Anyway I think its better than all of them. CA has 10 Strong Tracks. While all the albums listed have between 6-8 Good track. In my book that good enough for CA to be Better than Those. Yeah Their production might be cleaner sounding but not enough to make it better than this new masterpiece by 2.gif !

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I see your point. I would have to say; however, that you ultimately have to judge albums by more than the NUMBER of good tracks on them. When judging music, you have to consider the MAGNITUDE of quality of the tracks as a whole

By the way, CA is not as good as good as Signals. Never! ph34r.gif 1287.gif

I didn't vote. It's too premature to tell, and how could you really judge it that way? Isn't that like apples and oranges? IDK, I just don't see why you're making a competition between 3 albums spanning 3 decades.... wacko.gif

The reason polls generally suck is because they lack the proper options a lot of the time.

I would vote CA is equal to both. Not better or worse...equal. Not an option so, no vote for me.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 25 2012, 03:30 PM)
I didn't vote. It's too premature to tell, and how could you really judge it that way? Isn't that like apples and oranges? IDK, I just don't see why you're making a competition between 3 albums spanning 3 decades.... wacko.gif

You don't have to vote. It's okay. Even though there is a bunch of time separating these albums, they were still made by the same great band.

Everyone probably has an opinion about this by now and that's why I made the thread. Even if you don't have an opinion, maybe you could use the discussion here to help you formulate one. wink.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 25 2012, 03:40 PM)
The reason polls generally suck is because they lack the proper options a lot of the time.

I would vote CA is equal to both. Not better or worse...equal. Not an option so, no vote for me.

Sorry! Didn't think about that option doh.gif

Your choice is noted by me, though

I guess I don't hold GUP in the same high regard as most people. To me, the only albums GUP is better than are RTB and the first album. It's not that I think the songs on GUP are "bad," it's just that I don't think they're particularly great. There's no song on GUP which I really want to hear, no song which compels me to play it.

So for me, CA beats GUP easily.

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jun 25 2012, 03:48 PM)
I said GUP only. Never Really cared for GUP....for me it's the weakest 80's album. It's got NOTHING on POW.

trink39.gif