Anyone else think Seven Cities of Gold...

clem

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 25 2012, 12:25 PM)
Wow i bever

I bever too! atickhum.gif spit6ph.gif

QUOTE (clem @ Jun 25 2012, 10:43 AM)
....sounds like "Virtuality" with a bit of "Hand over Fist" (the chorus) in it?

mebbe it's just me. For the record, I think all 3 are awesome songs.

Clem

Hand Over Fist is one of my favorites off Presto, love it! That being said I am not seeing the connection but the bass riff does have some Virtuality in it. trink39.gif

QUOTE (clem @ Jun 25 2012, 11:43 AM)

mebbe it's just me. For the record, I think all 3 are awesome songs.

Clem

Definitely yes.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 25 2012, 12:39 PM)
I agree the riff from Virtuality is similar to the riff throughout Seven Cities of Gold

I do not agree. The riff in "Virtuality" is a weird ascending riff filled with with oddball intervals, and the one on "Seven Cities" is a traditional descending "riff-rock" riff that strictly adheres to the blues scale, as many such riffs do.

Not trying to sound all "snobby musician" there. The riffs sound nothing alike to me. The tempos and drum patterns are very similar, however, and maybe that is what's making some people see a similarity in the guitar riffs.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 25 2012, 12:06 PM)

Not trying to sound all "snobby musician" there. The riffs sound nothing alike to me. The tempos and drum patterns are very similar, however, and maybe that is what's making some people see a similarity in the guitar riffs.

Right on...Seven Cities is perfection in songwriting unlike the aforementioned pieces. i do see a hint of similarity for a second though

trink39.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 25 2012, 12:39 PM)
I agree the riff from Virtuality is similar to the riff throughout Seven Cities of Gold

I do not agree. The riff in "Virtuality" is a weird ascending riff filled with with oddball intervals, and the one on "Seven Cities" is a traditional descending "riff-rock" riff that strictly adheres to the blues scale, as many such riffs do.

See, I wish I could do that right there. I hear something and think... that reminds me of something, and 9 times out of 10 - I never figure it out. I just give up and eventually forget all about it thanks to my friend Mr. Leinenkugel

Yeah, Seven Cities is pure 70s blues rock. 1022.gif It actually reminds me of something they might have attempted on the debut; kind of the debut as seen by the future Rush. tongue.gif

And I certainly don't hear any similarity to Hand Over Fist. unsure.gif

The low vocal harmony part on "distant as a comet or a constellation" does remind me of some previous Rush tune, but I haven't been able to place it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here?

By the way, who sings that lower harmony part? Doesn't sound like Geddy, could it be Alex? Or Rupert? tongue.gif

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (clem @ Jun 25 2012, 10:43 AM)

mebbe it's just me.  For the record, I think all 3 are awesome songs.

Clem

Seeing as how those two songs suck the balls off a herd of water buffalo and 7 Cities kicks righteous ass...no. I hear zeo similarities.

Especially Hand Over Fist (gawd it hurts me to even type that)...that song is the suckiest bunch of suck that ever sucked...a sucktacular low point.

Hand Over Fist is one of my fav's off Presto.....go figure that. A sleeper song. Love Alex's guitar work on that. That scream riff he does right after the line "You know I hated that song for so long"

Anyway...no Seven Cities of Gold is Rush circa 1975-77 all the way. Sounds like it could have been on Fly By Night or A Farewell To Kings. Lot's of nods to that era.

One of the very best songs on CA.

Edited by Todem

I actually think the riff is much closer to the verse riff of

One Little Victory.

And my first reaction to the chorus was that it reminded me of

Ghost of a Chance chords.

I love it though. The bass makes it for me