Anyone worried about the strings??

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 25 2012, 08:45 PM)
I think they will be introduced in the second set when they play the first nine songs off of CA, then that's it.

Probably..

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 25 2012, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 25 2012, 08:45 PM)
I think they will be introduced in the second set when they play the first nine songs off of CA, then that's it.

Probably..

Probably not.

The strings are only prominent on a handful of CA songs. Maybe 5 or 6. And...Alex said that they want to add strings to some older material during the live show as well.

I suspect they will be off and on the stage throughout the night. They will probably remain off the stage for the last 4 or 5 songs.

My guess is they will be behind Geddy where his "amps" go. That will allow them visibility but not upstage the boys. It would also allow them quick and easy access on and off the stage.

I have no idea...just a guess.

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 25 2012, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Jun 26 2012, 12:00 AM)
Can somebody post the official link to them bringing strings on tour.

there isn't one... it's all just speculation. I seriously doubt it's going to happen... mostly likely all the "strings" will be triggered by foot pedals.

How is this speculation? confused13.gif

... "Our intention is to take strings out on the road," guitarist Alex Lifeson tells Billboard.com. Orchestrations, arranged by David Campbell, feature on several of "Clockwork Angels' " tracks, and Lifeson says Rush will employ a small string ensemble, likely eight to 10 pieces, to recreate those pieces and to be added to some of Rush's older material. "It's just something different for us, and I can't wait to hear what it sounds like."

Lifeson says Campbell will be writing arrangements for the tour, which kicks off Sept. 7 in Manchester, N.H., and will likely appear at some of the shows as well. "Certainly in the beginning he'll be out for a bit," the guitarist says. "I think his intention is to use these musicians he's been working with for a long time, who he trusts, and once they're settled in he doesn't have to be around all the time and he can come out whenever he feels like it."

Here's the full articale at Billboard.com

http://www.billboard.com/news/rush-bringin...007356152.story

QUOTE (AddictedRushian @ Jun 25 2012, 10:24 AM)
I paid for 2 tickets to see Rush this October.  To hear they're going to bring a mini orchestra is incredible!  I think this is a superb idea!  I know there is a poll on where they should be placed during the concerts but I am still worried about them playing too much.  I know Rush will do a great job in making sure they don't get overshadowed by the strings but I'm still a little iffy about bringing other musicians to play with them on their tour... I kind of feel like I just want to see Ged, Alex and Neil and those 3 only...

PS. This is my first post in this forum! smile.gif

Welcome! trink39.gif

I have absolutely no worries about the strings. I'm looking foward to seeing how and when they'll be used, and I just trust in Rush and their able crew that they're going to pull this off right.

I think strings will be good with CA material of course ... If there gonna do strings for anything else my preference would be to see them do it with... more of the sync era songs. Between the Wheels.. Red Lenses .. Red Sector A ...Middletown Dreams... Mystic Rhythms ...Losing it ...Subdivisions ... chemistry all songs i believe they could pull off well with strings along with a few others im sure. But the hard rocking progressive classics and the old nuggets i think would be better suited with just the 3. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 25 2012, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Jun 25 2012, 02:00 PM)
You guys should relax. Rush knows what their fans like (and don't like) and this show will be spectacular. Don't kill your pre-concert buzz over a non-issue.

yes.gif

I have to think the strings will be used where appropriate, like during the CA songs that use them, and the older songs that use them.

Marathon

Manhattan Project

Losing It

That's all I can think of right now.

I hope you are right. I just keep thinking of a string section on Tom Sawyer and it makes me shudder.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 26 2012, 02:37 PM)
You guys should relax. Rush knows what their fans like (and don't like) and this show will be spectacular. Don't kill your pre-concert buzz over a non-issue.

yes.gif

I have to think the strings will be used where appropriate, like during the CA songs that use them, and the older songs that use them.

Marathon

Manhattan Project

Losing It

I just keep thinking of a string section on Tom Sawyer

that would be a disgrace.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 26 2012, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 26 2012, 02:37 PM)

yes.gif

Marathon

Manhattan Project

Losing It

I just keep thinking of a string section on Tom Sawyer

that would be a disgrace.

Absolutely.

Strings, what else, a huge laser light show, fireworks and a bunch of female gospel backing singers? It's all old hat and sounds like they're putting on a Pink Floyd las Vegas 'show'! The whole point of Rush is that it's three guys who sound and perform like five and they should stick to what they do best! Maybe next tour they'll have the Buddy Rich Big Band behind them.........actually that sound better!

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jun 27 2012, 12:34 PM)
Strings, what else, a huge laser light show, fireworks and a bunch of female gospel backing singers? It's all old hat and sounds like they're putting on a Pink Floyd las Vegas 'show'! The whole point of Rush is that it's three guys who sound and perform like five and they should stick to what they do best! Maybe next tour they'll have the Buddy Rich Big Band behind them.........actually that sound better!

Well at least for Neil's Solo!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (2112rush @ Jun 27 2012, 10:03 AM)
I want the strings to be used in songs that already include strings. Songs that do not include strings should be left that way.

I'm sure that's just how they will approach it.

Everybody is freaked out they will have strings during Tom Sawyer. Ain't gonna happen. Let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the strings will be used wisely...and sparingly.

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Jun 27 2012, 12:34 PM)

It's a old.gif thing. First it starts with jazz influence, then comes the orchestra. Or strings! It's all over when they start wanting everyone to sit.

I would love on their *next* tour if they stripped it all down - no silly skits, just effects relating to the music, and just the three of them playing. Maybe basic can be the new old. But right now they chose to make music with strings so that's what we get.

The thing about the argument that they should have live string players for authenticity is that they will have to use triggers if they play the songs on other tours. It just isn't necessary to have them there but it seems like something a lot of older bands get the itch to do at some point. I wish they had done it earlier in case this turns out to be the last tour.

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jun 27 2012, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (2112rush @ Jun 27 2012, 10:03 AM)
I want the strings to be used in songs that already include strings. Songs that do not include strings should be left that way.

I'm sure that's just how they will approach it.

Everybody is freaked out they will have strings during Tom Sawyer. Ain't gonna happen. Let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure the strings will be used wisely...and sparingly.

I hope you are right.

I would bet that in a poll, which i'm surprised hasn't happened yet, if you asked who would like to see the band as usual just the three of them or with an orchestra behind them that the first option would come out on top by a long way! In these times of financial hardship it would be a much cheaper option for the band and they could reflect that in the ticket prices! I want to hear guitar, bass and drums not cello, oboe and violin thankyou!

QUOTE (AddictedRushian @ Jun 25 2012, 11:24 AM)
I paid for 2 tickets to see Rush this October. To hear they're going to bring a mini orchestra is incredible! I think this is a superb idea! I know there is a poll on where they should be placed during the concerts but I am still worried about them playing too much. I know Rush will do a great job in making sure they don't get overshadowed by the strings but I'm still a little iffy about bringing other musicians to play with them on their tour... I kind of feel like I just want to see Ged, Alex and Neil and those 3 only...

PS. This is my first post in this forum! smile.gif

Dear OP,

What is there to worry about? It's 2.gif .

I have more important things to worry about than what three guys from Canada are bringing with them on tour.

Thanks!

Unworried