My Favorite Headache

Earthshine

Was listening to My Favorite Headache today. Love that album.

I can't help but wonder if this might have been a Rush album had things been happening with the band when it was made.

Listening to it, I am reminded of just how much Geddy writes for Rush. I can picture most of this album being played by Alex and Neil. Would have been interesting. But I like it just how it is.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 25 2012, 12:46 AM)
Was listening to My Favorite Headache today. Love that album.

I can't help but wonder if this might have been a Rush album had things been happening with the band when it was made.

Listening to it, I am reminded of just how much Geddy writes for Rush. I can picture most of this album being played by Alex and Neil. Would have been interesting. But I like it just how it is.

It IS a Rush album in my eyes! And it's a Grand METAL Conjuration of a collection of songs! It's METAL and it's RUSH and somehow there's no Peart or Lifeson! ohmy.gif

1022.gif

Love 'My Favorite Headache'! Just found it a year ago, wish I'd gotten it when it first came out! I've had it on my ipod for nearly a year, and when it recently came time to put the entire Rush catalogue on my ipod, to, y'know, make sure I know all the lyrics so I can sing along with anything at the upcoming concert, I couldn't take it off. So MFH plays alongside all of Rush, and it fits well.

It's interesting to hear what Geddy's come up with, having had complete control on this album, being in charge of it. Also really cool to hear him sing his own lyrics for the first time in a very long time. And it's awesome hearing what a good song craftsman he is.

Would this album have been made if Rush had not been in hiatus at the time? I don't think so. These are all Geddy's songs, with his own lyrics, and with the dynamics of Rush (Neil being the lyricist and all!), it wouldn't have ended up like it has. The music could have been similar, but to fit other lyrics.

Man, I wonder why Geddy doesn't contribute lyrics now and then? I wonder if there's an unspoken agreement within the band that each member brings their own thing to the table, and no sharing?

Oh, and also, I certainly wouldn't miffed to find a MFH song get played at a Rush concert. Unfortunately, it won't happen, but it'd be cool! Hmm, wonder which song(s) would be the best live?

QUOTE (Mika @ Jun 25 2012, 03:59 AM)
Oh, and also, I certainly wouldn't miffed to find a MFH song get played at a Rush concert. Unfortunately, it won't happen, but it'd be cool! Hmm, wonder which song(s) would be the best live?

The title track, Runaway Train, The Present Tense, Grace to Grace...

Found MFH not long ago myself.

It's excellent!

Some of it sounds like it could've been Rush, some not so much.

But I keep it among my Rush studio albums. Was happy I was able to snag a copy at used music shop, with its paper case in not too-bad condition.

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jun 25 2012, 05:47 PM)
A lot of SnA (musically speaking) reminds me of MFH. Only MFH is a far superior product.

Tru dat! I'll take MFH over S&A any day of the week, (except for the first moments of Far Cry)

It's a great album IMO...but it's also not a Rush album.

If Alex had been writing with him, the album would never have turned out the way it did.

It does have a Rush flavour to it...moreso than Victor at least. But, it's still very different from a Rush album too.

I listen to MFH a lot more than SA. I think the songs are stronger and the mix is much better. IMO Runaway train is one of the best songs I have ever heard.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 25 2012, 09:09 PM)

If Alex had been writing with him, the album would never have turned out the way it did.

It does have a Rush flavour to it...moreso than Victor at least. But, it's still very different from a Rush album too.

It's more RUSH than your mum, that'll do for me, it's a RUSH album!

tongue.gif laugh.gif

1022.gif

I would pee my steampunk outfit if they busted out "Grace to Grace" live. My friend (who's a Rush fan/skeptic) has said it's a lost Rush song and I'm inclined to agree!

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 04:08 PM)
I would pee my steampunk outfit if they busted out "Grace to Grace" live. My friend (who's a Rush fan/skeptic) has said it's a lost Rush song and I'm inclined to agree!

HOLY MOTHER OF GED! Could you imagine?!

common001.gif

Never would happen, but it would be epic! I'm still holding out for a Geddy Lee solo tour. yes.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 26 2012, 04:18 PM)

common001.gif

Never would happen, but it would be epic! I'm still holding out for a Geddy Lee solo tour. yes.gif

That'll happen if the other two quit like bitches...

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 26 2012, 05:18 PM)

common001.gif

But how weird would it be seeing him onstage without the other Two Stooges? About as weird as them having a string sec-

Oh wait.

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 04:26 PM)

common001.gif

But how weird would it be seeing him onstage without the other Two Stooges? About as weird as them having a string sec-

Oh wait.

sarcasm.gif

goodpost.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 25 2012, 09:09 PM)

It's more RUSH than your mum, that'll do for me, it's a RUSH album!

tongue.gif laugh.gif

1022.gif

moon.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jun 26 2012, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 26 2012, 04:26 PM)

common001.gif

Oh wait.

sarcasm.gif

goodpost.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

True, though? But we're putting on our "Bravest Face"s eh?