CA and MFH?

HigherWater

First of all, I love this album. More than any Rush album or any album by any other band in a very long time. That said, does anyone else hear a little My Favorite Headache in the vocal melodies? Just askin.

One last question:

Is Seven Cities through The Garden the best 'side 2' in the history of Rush? I think it might be.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 24 2012, 05:43 PM)
First of all, I love this album. More than any Rush album or any album by any other band in a very long time. That said, does anyone else hear a little My Favorite Headache in the vocal melodies? Just askin.

One last question:

Is Seven Cities through The Garden the best 'side 2' in the history of Rush? I think it might be.

The Second Side of Permanent Waves, A Farewell To Kings, Moving Pictures and Hemispheres say hello.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 24 2012, 07:01 PM)
First of all, I love this album. More than any Rush album or any album by any other band in a very long time. That said, does anyone else hear a little My Favorite Headache in the vocal melodies?  Just askin.

One last question:

The Second Side of Permanent Waves, A Farewell To Kings, Moving Pictures and Hemispheres say hello.

This.

Though Caravan through Halo Effect is very freakin strong IMO

First of all, I love this album. More than any Rush album or any album by any other band in a very long time. That said, does anyone else hear a little My Favorite Headache in the vocal melodies?  Just askin.

One last question:

Good post but...

Natural Science is a monster but I don't think Entre Nous or Different Strings are as Strong as The Wreckers and Wish Them Well.

Madrigal really breaks up side two of Kings (IMO). I love the song I just hate it THERE!

As for MP, well... You have me there: Camera Eye, Witch Hunt, Vital Signs... Whew. Nuff Said

ohmy.gif

I only hear a similarity to MFH in ONE place:

The first line of "The Wreckers" sounds like the first line of "The Angels' Share." ("The breakers roar, on an unknown shore" sounds like "The angels share, secrets of the universe...")

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 25 2012, 02:59 AM)

The first line of "The Wreckers" sounds like the first line of "The Angels' Share." ("The breakers roar, on an unknown shore" sounds like "The angels share, secrets of the universe...")

Thank you! I was thinking this line sounded familiar, and I couldn't place it until you compared it with 'The Angels' Share'!

And I do hear some similarity to 'My Favorite Headache', with the more riff-driven songs and more sing-along-ability. It kind of sounds as if Geddy had more input with this album or something.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 25 2012, 04:47 AM)
My Favorite Headache was the heavy metal album of 2000!

1022.gif

Even before it was released! atickhum.gif

One last question:

+ some more you didnt list.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 24 2012, 07:43 PM)

One last question:

Definitely. There's a HUGE MFH influence (as well as many other Rush albums) on this record.

QUOTE (Mika @ Jun 25 2012, 04:46 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 25 2012, 02:59 AM)

Thank you! I was thinking this line sounded familiar, and I couldn't place it until you compared it with 'The Angels' Share'!

And I do hear some similarity to 'My Favorite Headache', with the more riff-driven songs and more sing-along-ability. It kind of sounds as if Geddy had more input with this album or something.

"The Garden"'s beginning is pretty similar to "The Angels' Share" too.

I had this impression initially, most obviously with The Garden. Then I actually went back and listened to MFH the other day, and the connection between the two definitely faded for me. A few reasons that I can think of:

1. CA isn't "brand new" anymore. When something like this is all sparkly and new, I think we naturally try to catalog it by using known entities as our points of reference. MFH is all Geddy...very strong melodies. CA also has some very strong melodies, hence the natural initial connection for me. As I became more familiar with CA after numerous listens, it began to take on its own color and personality.

2. Sonically, MFH comes across as down-right wimpy compared to CA. Even the most melodic, emotive song on CA (The Garden) comes across a sonically more rich and "meaty" than pretty much everything on MFH.

3. While Geddy is the melodic soul of Rush, Alex is their musical heart and power...and that element is lacking in MFH. The balance of melody and power has always been one of Rush's key draws for me.

Anyway, just my opinion...your mileage will vary.

Edited by The Mighty Dudad

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jun 24 2012, 03:43 PM)

One last question:

Huge similarities.

Makes me think Geddy was the driving melodic influence of CA.