Headlong Flight - As The Last Song Instead

Geddyleegenes

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 25 2012, 09:44 AM)
Put Headlong Flight as the first song and pretend the rest is a flashback.

Oddly enough, this is perhaps the solution that makes most sense!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 25 2012, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2012, 09:43 AM)
I actually think HF is in the right spot because ultimately this story doesn't have a happy ending, like 2112. I think this stems from Neil's very negative outlook on life and time in general, because he isnt religious. He views death as an end. He doesn't have that glowing view of life and death that religious people have.

At that point in the story the hero is looking back realizing his life was what it was, that can't be changed now, but it was his life and living it again surely is better than what's coming, which is death.

Then after that he's nearing the end of his life, like Neil is himself, has experienced a lot of heartbreak, like Neil has, and realizes that all he can do is live out his remaining days, try to find something to love but is still bitter about how things turned out. People are told everything happens for a reason. Well why did bad things happen to this good person? Something Neil writes about a LOT. Roll The Bones being one example. So the story doesnt have a happy ending. Not an overly sad ending, just life is what it is, it's so short and fragile and ultimately meaningless since we'll all cease to exist soon enough.

Neil's view on this has never changed throughout his entire time in this band because he keeps writing about it and has since FBN.

Flawed post since poster assumes he knows what's inside Neil's head because he reads Neil's stuff. I'd bet Neil would cringe at your assumptions, however informed you think you are smile.gif

Yeah, the guy only has 35 years of proof about how he looks at things, oh and some books too. Do you even read the stuff this guy has written about, even before his family passed away?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 25 2012, 10:02 AM)
I actually think HF is in the right spot because ultimately this story doesn't have a happy ending, like 2112. I think this stems from Neil's very negative outlook on life and time in general, because he isnt religious. He views death as an end. He doesn't have that glowing view of life and death that religious people have.

At that point in the story the hero is looking back realizing his life was what it was, that can't be changed now, but it was his life and living it again surely is better than what's coming, which is death.

Then after that he's nearing the end of his life, like Neil is himself, has experienced a lot of heartbreak, like Neil has, and realizes that all he can do is live out his remaining days, try to find something to love but is still bitter about how things turned out. People are told everything happens for a reason. Well why did bad things happen to this good person? Something Neil writes about a LOT. Roll The Bones being one example. So the story doesnt have a happy ending. Not an overly sad ending, just life is what it is, it's so short and fragile and ultimately meaningless since we'll all cease to exist soon enough.

Neil's view on this has never changed throughout his entire time in this band because he keeps writing about it and has since FBN.

No. Leaving HF where it is is still problematic. You (and the band) have it this way:

1. Difficult experiences. (Carnies, Halo Effect, Wreckers)

2. Still, I'd do it all again! Yeah! (HF)

3. My bad experiences have brought me to my lowest point. (BU2B2)

Sounds a little bipolar, doesn't it? Remove HF (take out the #2 above), and it makes much more sense.

Sounds a lot like 2112, doesnt it? That story does not have a happy ending, and this one doesnt either. Not every story needs a happy ending. People dont like stories with a sad ending, so they just pretend the order is wrong. Lol, pretty sure Neil wrote it this way on purpose. They didnt mess up the order of the songs.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 25 2012, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 25 2012, 10:02 AM)

No. Leaving HF where it is is still problematic. You (and the band) have it this way:

Sounds a little bipolar, doesn't it? Remove HF (take out the #2 above), and it makes much more sense.

Sounds a lot like 2112, doesnt it? That story does not have a happy ending, and this one doesnt either. Not every story needs a happy ending. People dont like stories with a sad ending, so they just pretend the order is wrong. Lol, pretty sure Neil wrote it this way on purpose. They didnt mess up the order of the songs.

I don't know where you're getting this unhappy ending stuff. I believe this album DOES have a happy ending. So, in my eyes, that whole cornerstone of your argument collapses and everything which you put atop it falls, too.

And FWIW, Neil has said that "2112" ends happily, too. Watch that 2112/Moving Pictures "album history" DVD thingie. Neil says the "assumed control" part is "the good guys, the cavalry," arriving. That's how he intended it.

I'm not "pretending" anything; I just think the story makes more sense to have all the "positive reflection" songs at the end (HF, Wish them Well, Garden) and to bring BU2B2 (which is "negative reflection") closer to the bad events which caused those bad feelings.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 25 2012, 11:02 AM)

Agreed.

Wow. Some really great, thoughtful responses.

I'm glad there are others who understand my original post and know where I'm coming from with my thought of "Headlong Flight" being a great conclusion to the album.

Others expressed their reasons why they think the song line-up is perfect as it is.

I'm also looking forward to the book to see how it all plays out there and hope that it clears things up for me.

Oh, and the idea that HF should come first and everything else follow as a flashback... well, that is a truly inspired thought!

Not a happy ending? For me, it's a real ending. Maybe it's a universal end for most lives (based on Candide): in the end, it's just about tending the garden that grew from the seeds you planted in youth . Gardening is a lot of work, sweat, patience, hope, disappointment, and reward. You'll get as much love and respect as you put into it...

Or, I could be wrong...

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 25 2012, 09:44 AM)
Put Headlong Flight as the first song and pretend the rest is a flashback.

cool10.gif

laugh.gif