My Philsophical take on CA

briremo

I'm beginning to become dubious of Neil's rejection of Rand

This album is blanketed with individualism, objectivism and a good dose of anti-deism. All of which I love smile.gif

But I will say this; I do not see "The Watchmaker" as a maleavolent deity forcing a belief system on people. Rather, I think he's discussing the restrictions of time itself. He is getting older and as our longevity disappears, we begin to see the limits to what we can accomplish in the time we have and how we usually don;t realize it until its too late

The last two songs lay this out perfectly in that the main character learns you cant change people and all you can do is tend your own garden.

Of course to me the title track also clearly supports my theory, Clockwork Angels...hmmmm?

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 24 2012, 02:19 PM)
Entirely possible...Never looked at it like that.

However I like to look at The Watchmaker as sort of The Wizard in The Wizard of Oz. He doesn't really do much that impacts peoples lives directly. He just sort of runs the show and life goes on around him.

There's a lot where Mr peart channels from. Like the wizard of oz analogy, for the watchmaker. yes.gif

Right, reading the pastors review got me thinking that we often view Neil's lyrics through our prism of his anti-religious opinions. But this album has that wizard of 0z feel as stated above. I initially jumpe to the conclusion that the watcaker was Neil's evil version of god. Father time is my bet.

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 24 2012, 01:49 PM)

This album is blanketed with individualism, objectivism and a good dose of anti-deism. All of which I love smile.gif

But I will say this; I do not see "The Watchmaker" as a maleavolent deity forcing a belief system on people. Rather, I think he's discussing the restrictions of time itself. He is getting older and as our longevity disappears, we begin to see the limits to what we can accomplish in the time we have and how we usually don;t realize it until its too late

This is all true I think. But the connection with the Watchmaker Analogy, and the book "The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design" by Richard Dawkins is also there.

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 24 2012, 07:49 AM)

This album is blanketed with individualism, objectivism and a good dose of anti-deism. All of which I love  smile.gif

The last two songs lay this out perfectly in that the main character learns you cant change people and all you can do is tend your own garden.

Of course to me the title track also clearly supports my theory, Clockwork Angels...hmmmm?

....and sometimes suffering and hardship can strengthen healthy perspectives and compassion to spur a more giving attitude, if one does not succumb to drowning in bitterness and rage. Wish Them Well and The Garden are the good sides to a hard life.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart