A Different kind of Truth vs. C. A

Xanadoood

Wich do you prefer?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Wich do you prefer?

• 1. A Different Kind of Truth
    • 2. Clockwork Angels

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 25 2012, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 25 2012, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 25 2012, 04:02 PM)
Anyone who thinks ADKOT is a good Van Halen album is deluding themselves. It's like clapping when your grandad sings one of his old army songs, you clap because you love him not because he is good.

Yes. Tattoo is embarrassingly bad, and ADKOT can't even compare to CA.

(It's like Van Halen's Superconductor)

Superconductor kicks ass!

Uhhh...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks ADKOT is a good Van Halen album is deluding themselves. It's like clapping when your grandad sings one of his old army songs, you clap because you love him not because he is good.

Tattoo is ok, but it's also the weakest track on the album by quite a way...

Mike Portnoy said in an interview that these two are his fav records this year. I previewed about half of every Van Halen track and it didn't grab me at all. Maybe I need to give it a better shot but it didn't sound like classic VH to me.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 01:17 AM)

Read the lyrics.

First you'll do some of this:

spit6ph.gif

Then you'll do some of this:

z7shysterical.gif

And finally you'll do a little of this:

sad.gif fists crying.gif

Not once will you do this:

1022.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 26 2012, 02:18 AM)

Read the lyrics.

spit6ph.gif

z7shysterical.gif

sad.gif fists crying.gif

1022.gif yes.gif

Why you focusing on that song there's 13 other songs on there?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 02:29 AM)

Read the lyrics.

spit6ph.gif

z7shysterical.gif

sad.gif fists crying.gif

1022.gif yes.gif

confused13.gif

It's like watching a train wreck, ya know? tongue.gif

You just can't stop focusing on it!

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 26 2012, 02:48 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 26 2012, 02:29 AM)

Read the lyrics.

spit6ph.gif

z7shysterical.gif

sad.gif fists crying.gif

1022.gif yes.gif

confused13.gif

It's like watching a train wreck, ya know? tongue.gif

You just can't stop focusing on it!

It sounds pretty good to me...

What do you think of the other songs?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 25 2012, 11:13 AM)
V. H. It sounds like an old vh album, Rush does not. What a shock , rush leads the votes on a Rush site confused13.gif

It sounds like a classic Rush album to me? confused13.gif

Great Rush album, can't say it enough. As far as the VH goes, I never bought it so...

When have the two EVER been comparable? They're different arenas of rock. Van Halen does WHAT THEY DO far better than Rush ever could and vice versa. I don't want to hear Prog Halen and I also don't want Rush to do their own Hot For Teacher any time soon either.

Just because Rush floats your boat more doesn't mean you have to put another act down. They push completely different buttons.

They're both excellent albums for their respective catalogues.

I saw Van Halen a couple of nights ago... Honestly Kool & the Gang played a better show and I hate their music. Van Halen was very boring. David Lee Roth just kept talking during songs. Their new material sucked. I would NEVER vote ADKOT over Clockwork Angels dazed025.gif

Honestly, I couldn't expect anything more from these two bands at the current stages of their respective careers. Masterpieces? No. Damn good. Yep. I am pleasantly surprised and quite content.

I've only heard the Van Halen album once or twice. It was a really good album, and one they should be proud of. It's REALLY cool that they managed to pull off a solid album with DLR after all these years.

Still, Van Halen in their wildest dreams couldn't make an album with the significance and complexity of Clockwork Angels.

Van Halen are a great, fun, party band. There's a place for that, but to compare it to a band that makes such deep and meaningful music as Rush, and Clockwork Angels specifically, is kind of silly IMHO. It's like asking if you'd rather have a hip, fun motor scooter or a Jaguar. Comparing the two is kind of ridiculous.

A better question would be to figure out whether or not Clockwork Angels or The Black Chord by Astra is better. Now there would be two amazing albums to compare, even though they're very, very different. Edited by rushgoober

New VH still has not grown on me. CA is a much better release out of the gate.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 10:20 AM)
I've only heard the Van Halen album once or twice. It was a really good album, and one they should be proud of. It's REALLY cool that they managed to pull off a solid album with DLR after all these years.

Still, Van Halen in their wildest dreams couldn't make an album with the significance and complexity of Clockwork Angels.

Van Halen are a great, fun, party band. There's a place for that, but to compare it to a band that makes such deep and meaningful music as Rush, and Clockwork Angels specifically, is kind of silly IMHO. It's like asking if you'd rather have a hip, fun motor scooter or a Jaguar. Comparing the two is kind of ridiculous.

No, it's not ridiculous. Because Rush and VH come from the same era. And back in the day there were discussions about each band.

This poll was For fun. I'm well aware of the musical differences between the bands.

I guess we are all just super f*ckin serious in our old age now. Oh well.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 26 2012, 10:04 AM)

When have the two EVER been comparable? They're different arenas of rock. Van Halen does WHAT THEY DO far better than Rush ever could and vice versa. I don't want to hear Prog Halen and I also don't want Rush to do their own Hot For Teacher any time soon either.

Just because Rush floats your boat more doesn't mean you have to put another act down. They push completely different buttons.

Why would I compare the two albums? I don't know, maybe because that's the whole point of this thread?

Sorry for voicing my opinion.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 26 2012, 02:12 AM)
Mike Portnoy said in an interview that these two are his fav records this year. I previewed about half of every Van Halen track and it didn't grab me at all. Maybe I need to give it a better shot but it didn't sound like classic VH to me.

Link?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 26 2012, 12:32 PM)
New VH still has not grown on me. CA is a much better release out of the gate.

Sorry to hear that Sam biggrin.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 26 2012, 12:54 PM)

Why would I compare the two albums? I don't know, maybe because that's the whole point of this thread?

Thanks for missing the point.

Again, let's compare Tori Amos and Rotting Christ while we're at it. Apples and hand grenades...Rush and Van Halen. Not sure how you compare different styles looking for a victor. Oh and go ask this quesiton on a Van Halen forum for predictably opposite results as well. wink.gif

I like Finding Nemo AND The Godfather. biggrin.gif They may be bands from the same era, but stylistically they have almost nothing in common.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 26 2012, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 26 2012, 12:54 PM)

Thanks for missing the point.

Again, let's compare Tori Amos and Rotting Christ while we're at it. Apples and hand grenades...Rush and Van Halen. Not sure how you compare different styles looking for a victor. Oh and go ask this quesiton on a Van Halen forum for predictably opposite results as well. wink.gif

I like Finding Nemo AND The Godfather. biggrin.gif They may be bands from the same era, but stylistically they have almost nothing in common.

What album do you enjoy more? That was really what I was getting at..Rush and VH both come from hard rock roots. Rush is more cerebral obviously, but they both rock out , in different ways.

I wasn't expecting quite the backlash with this poll.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2012, 12:46 PM)
I guess we are all just super f*ckin serious in our old age now. Oh well.

Who you calling old?!!! rofl3.gif

Seriously, while I love "Clockwork Angels", and it is a much better album than "A Different Kind of Truth", there is no denying that.

However, "A Different Kind of Truth" is a fine, fine rock album.

It is 10 times more fun than "Clockwork Angels", that's for sure.

It still remains heavy in my rotation since it's release and never ceases to make me smile.

And for that reason, I voted for The Mighty Van Halen.

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Jun 26 2012, 09:07 AM)
I saw Van Halen a couple of nights ago... Honestly Kool & the Gang played a better show and I hate their music. Van Halen was very boring. David Lee Roth just kept talking during songs. Their new material sucked. I would NEVER vote ADKOT over Clockwork Angels dazed025.gif

DLR has been terrible this tour.......