What if Broon produced Clockwork Angels?

Jmo2112

Ok, I know some of you will think I'm just trying to stir the pot here but I ask this question simply because it has been on my mind a lot since I realized what a great album CA is. I currently rank it their best since Power Windows.

I keep imagining these songs with the brilliant separation of sounds that Broon used to achieve. The production on those earlier albums really gave each member a lot of their own sonic space to work with. I then add in the character of the Rickenbacker, classic Gibsons, etc. and I wonder if CA could have been as amazing as MP or Hemispheres with Broon's magic touch.

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 23 2012, 02:09 PM)
Ok, I know some of you will think I'm just trying to stir the pot here but I ask this question simply because it has been on my mind a lot since I realized what a great album CA is. I currently rank it their best since Power Windows.

I keep imagining these songs with the brilliant separation of sounds that Broon used to achieve. The production on those earlier albums really gave each member a lot of their own sonic space to work with. I then add in the character of the Rickenbacker, classic Gibsons, etc. and I wonder if CA could have been as amazing as MP or Hemispheres with Broon's magic touch.

Jmo2112,

While I wholeheartedly agree with you. There are a couple of threads already about this issue.

Maybe you could jump in on those?

wink.gif

Good chance that they'd still be using Pro Tools and compression regardless, just because that's what is done these days.

I don't really know what Broon's methods are.... is he even still producing?

I would be interested in seeing them record entirely to tape with little / no compression.

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 23 2012, 02:09 PM)

The album would have sounded better.

Has anyone noticed the clock on the album?

Oh here we go again. eyesre4.gif

Yes Terry is still producing. It wasn't anything personal that he stopped producing Rush albums just a different direction rush took.

For the record I think this album has been mixed perfectly fine for those who are fortunate to have quality audio systems. For those who don't well maybe it's the quality of your equipment not being able to handle the awesome sound of CA.

Nick and Bernie did a great job.

Now that I've had it awhile my ears have been able to adjust a little bit. I have to really roll off the bass EQ no matter what system I'm listening to it on.

I also find if I'm doing the Ipod in the car (320 mp3 rips I made myself from the CD and played through an auxiliary input) that I get much better results if I reduce the Ipod volume to about half and then boosting the car stereo volume. If I have the Ipod volume all the way up, it tends to distort quite badly through my stereo speakers.

Edited by analog guy

So, after reading through other threads I think this one should still exist as it deals directly with the idea of Terry Brown producing modern Rush. I believe he could absolutely get great performances out of the boys as he was the guy who produced the albums that Nick R. Has been convincing them to emulate.

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 23 2012, 07:41 PM)
So, after reading through other threads I think this one should still exist as it deals directly with the idea of Terry Brown producing modern Rush. I believe he could absolutely get great performances out of the boys as he was the guy who produced the albums that Nick R. Has been convincing them to emulate.

Honestly, I don't think so.

Nick was a HUGE part of the puzzle.

Now, that being said, If Nick pushed the boys AND had Terry in the room to "Help" mix/master it, then we may have an interesting situation!

Nicks a great guy, and great motivator. They needed him.

No getting around that I don't think.

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 23 2012, 07:41 PM)

Emulate? Themselves?

Starting with Presto (back in the late 1980s!) they started turning things back, writing as more of a trio and on acoustic guitars (while also pulling more retired songs out for the tour). With Counterparts, they returned to their edgier sound, finally embracing the essence of who they are (after a few restrained albums).

Nick Raskulinecz simply added energy and inspiration, pushing them to play even harder and to do another old school story/concept album (as opposed to a theme/concept album like Power Windows or Roll the Bones).

I'm not trying to diminish Terry Brown's importance to the band, but he got to work with them when they were young, hungry, and in a creative surge, and frankly I don't think Rush's last two albums would've been as good with him producing. From another thread:

QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 5 2012, 09:49 PM)
I appreciate what Broon did for the band (especially convincing them to go back into the studio to record Moving Pictures).  But Booujzhe has my upmost respect and gratitude for helping get Rush back to the top of their game.

As far as "thin" vs "full" sound goes, that's more about mixing trends over the last 20 years than which producer they're using. Broon's Rush albums had a certain crispness (at least through Moving Pictures), but it's noteworthy that even his more recent albums have had a relatively "full" sound (I'm not a fan of Fates Warning, but listen to "Disconnected" from 2000).